• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Leaving House Dressed As A Woman For First Time

JenniferB

OK, it's only to my GT, but I will be exposed to my neighbors while walking to my car. And I won't start using ma make-up for a couple weeks. Well except for my toenails. I did just realize I could use a purse. Most of the women's clothes I bought don't have pockets.

Love Susan

Guest Donna Jean

Good for you, Susan!

You're gonna have a fun time, I'll bet!

Even if it's to your GT...it's still a very important step for you!

Oh, and I know what you mean about women's clothes not having any pockets...

Last Saturday I was out shopping in a nice top (no pockets) and some black, ladies slacks (no pockets)

I ended up folding my money over my waist band....LOL

Hope you have a ball!

Huggs

Donna Jean

• Admin

How great for you, Susan! Congrats!

I know how nervous you'll be the first time, but don't worry hon. You'll do just fine.

It will be a day you'll always remember.

Maybe get your G.T. to take a picture? Yes, please do! You'll want that to keep.

Oh, yeah, you'll need a bag. Lots of stuff to put in there. Makeup, hair brush, all that good stuff.

Carolyn Marie

I ended up folding my money over my waist band....LOL

And that is why most women wear bras - a great place to stuff money!

My first trip out was to my GT as well, I refuse to see her as male now.

You will always remember this day and exactly what you wear wearing - I hope it is cute!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
And that is why most women wear bras - a great place to stuff money!

That's true, Sally, but, you know that my girls are "free range" and that I rarely pen them up!

My first trip out was to my GT as well, I refuse to see her as male now.

You will always remember this day and exactly what you wear wearing - I hope it is cute!

That is true, Susan.....that's a memory made!

Love ya,

Sally

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest NatashaJade

Great to hear, Susan! My first trip out was to my GT as well. You definitely need a purse. What I don't understand is the front pocket on my jeans. It's just about big enough for a cell phone. If they don't want us to use the pockets, why give us the pockets? Sheesh!

Have fun!

luv

Gin

Guest SusanKG

Hey, good job Susan! This Friday is my day, as you say, out to my car, through the neighborhood, and this time to my therapist. Actually, the whole four day weekend will be as myself, although I'm not expecting any other outside trips, but you never know. Thursday night, every thing goes from my wallet to my purse. Monday will not be so good as I will have to revert (temporarily), but a four day full emersion will be exciting. I did the toes as well! The Susans rule!

Susan Kay

Guest angie

Susan,

Unless it's jeans,cargo pants,or khaki's...

Women's wear does not come with pockets.

Better get used to it.And why women have so

much junk in our purses.Once you start carrying

one all the time,you will see what I mean.I get a

purse full of junk in no time.And that is how gg's

made up their mind that I really do live as a woman,

by how much stuff is in my purse.

Angie

I had a good time. It's funny women's clothing does not get me excited like a cross dresser would be. For me I like it because it's colorful and comfortable. You can express yourself better than dull men's clothing (not all men's clothing is dull). Hopefully soon I will be able to wear women's clothing all the time.

The other Susan

Congratulations Susan :)

Yes, you do need a purse!! I cannot exist without mine!

HUGS

Brenda

I actually did buy a purse at Goodwill right before my GT session. I lucked out too. I found an imitation brown leather purse put on the floor today. Even the checkout lady commented on it.

Susan

Susan hon,

Ah the first of many baby steps, i remember mine like it was yesterday, like you i was scared the neighbors would see me, on one of my early outings to my therapist dressed, i thought my neighbors saw me, gee was i a nervous wreck wondering, i knew if i was going to make transition happen they would have to know, so a couple months later when both of us were out i told her and her husband, gee they did not see me after all, and they are cool with it, so is the neighbor on the other side who i see all the time too, for them it was a need to know, the neighbor's across the street probably know since i am full time and see me around the yard and when i come and go, but unless they ask i am not going out of the way to tell them.

Each time it gets easier until you are full time and do not even realize it.

Paula

Guest Elizabeth K

Two sets of comments here - for the price of one - worth the price!

Oh hon - the neighbors look right past you - strangest thing! Later you ask - they don't remember! You are a woman and that is what they sorta see - looking generally in your dirrection.

Secondly, that purse! Oh my! You will get so you cannot live without it! Nail file? Right there! Brush? Just pull it out! Pen and paper, its right there! And no male bulging pockets! I carry my purse now in male mode - I would tell them its a pouch for my diabetis testing meter, meds and insulin, if asked - hardly anyone asks - people with laptops in cases over their shoulder have made this common and gender neutral anyway.

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

Well, the formula for having a purse is that the size is equal to the full amount that you can stuff in there!

My first one was huge (the one I took to Memphis) and it looked like I was carrying an breadboard with a strap!

It quickly became heavy and un managable!

I down sizeed A LOT!

All better now....

And you know that we'll all be expecting a report after the weekend, don't you?

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest angie

That is why there are so many styles of purses.

Some ladies like those big suitcase style monsters.

I prefer a shoulder bag with lot of zippered pockets

and compartments for everything I feel I must carry.

Of course,like any woman,if I need something,really

need something,I have to dig like crazy to find it in

all that stuff.My guy pal told me my purse has too many

zippers and compartments.I tend to disagree.(grin)

And I still haven't found that one statement purse yet.

You know,the one you just Have to have.

Angie

Guest Opal

Hi Susan!

Am really excited for you! My therapist hasn't said anything about it to me yet, but imagine it is not far off. I was going to say something about a fanny pack, but since you have already found a really nice purse, guess it would just be redundant.

Be sure and let us know how it goes!

Hugs,

Opal

Guest NatalieRene
OK, it's only to my GT, but I will be exposed to my neighbors while walking to my car. And I won't start using ma make-up for a couple weeks. Well except for my toenails. I did just realize I could use a purse. Most of the women's clothes I bought don't have pockets.

Love Susan

That is such awesome news Susan. :) It is a major milestone finding the courage to take that first step outdoors. I hope things are going well for you still. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest angie

Going to our therapist enfemme tends to be many

of our inital babysteps to claiming our womanhood.

Enjoy those magic moments.

Hugs,

Angie

Guest Elizabeth K

Rereading this, it brought back so many memories! Almost all my early outings were to my therapist, and later to my eletrolysis tech - even to my hairdresser (the last caused a great stir in town, unfortunately - grin - my sister in law came in while I was there!)

BUT

Fanny Pack - NO WAY! Get a beautiful, functional purse. Start with second hand until you find the style you like, then get a good one! Your purse is a reflection of your personality, and one of the most precious possessions you will have.

YEAAAAAAAA

GO GIRL GO!

Lizzy

Susan,

I worried in the beginning too, i thought my one neighbor saw me, i was sure of it, but when i came out to them they had not seen me, they both wear glasses and said they just wave when they see me leave. I knew if i was going to make transition work and not be afraid they would see me i needed to tell them sooner than later, neighbors on both sides of me know and are accepting.

I do not know why but it took me a long time get the confidence to start carrying a purse, after seeing that almost all women carry one i felt out of place without one so i started carrying one.

Paula

Guest NatashaJade

Awesome, Jenny! It's a really big step and I'm really proud of you for taking it. Your GT is a great place to begin (it's where I started). Think of all the places you go where they know who you are and dress for them as well. Take every opportunity you can.

luv

Gin

Guest Emily Ray

It's a great first step! After reading it I think I'm going change my plans for my session on Friday. I usually change at her office but I'm going to change earlier in the afternoon and maybe go shopping or have a late lunch before I go to the therapist.

Guest Melanie Dawn

Yes, it is insanely nerve wracking! Heck, I still get nervous when i go out, which is virtually every day. Glad you made that step, keep up the good work.

Melanie Dawn

Since I made the original post, I've been out dressed as a woman twice to my GT and once to the MTF support group. What's funny about the support group is right when I was about to leave, the neighbor across the street comes out and sits out by the road. I think he was waiting for a ride for his kids. So I though, whew a break because he went back inside for a minute. So I hurried to my truck, was on my way, and a few blocks down the road I realized I forgot my wallet. :lol: So I had to return home to get it and there was my neighbor waiting with his two children, right out by the road and watched me go in and back out of the house dressed like a woman. Although he really didn't seem to care much anyway.

I will be going to my electrologist on Friday for the first time dressed up femme. And she said if I don't dress right she will slap me around (rhetorically). :lol: I am also ready to get a makeover one way or another this weekend. Plus I'm going to ditch my male glasses and in the next couple weeks. I'm going to start wearing multi-focal contact lenses.I figure that's better right now than purchasing women's glasses and having to wear them at work in male mode.

Love Jenny