• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Full Time

Guest SouthernBelle

Guest SouthernBelle

I've been going shopping with what little money I have to do so and have collected a couple outfits-worth of clothes.

Pretty much every day now I wake up, take a shower, shave my legs (and pits and tummy), then I put on clothes that suit me and makeup.

I've started going out dressed to most places (starting yesterday, that is). I've even been to a friend's house and my older brother's house.

There's just a few places I've not yet found the courage to go... like my local drugstore. I used to go in there every single day to buy cigarettes and beer. I'm kind of scared of that first 'oh my god' moment. And, for some reason, I feel funny going shopping for femme clothes while wearing femme clothes... does that make sense?

That's about it. Just wanted to tell all of y'all what my progress in going full time is like at this point.

• Admin

Good for you, Belle! Going out en femme will bring you increased confidence, and that really is the key to success. If you feel like you belong, you will act and appear as though you belong, and few if any will question it.

I don't know how big your town or city is, but one thing I do to make myself feel more at ease is not shop in my own neighborhood, reducing (but not eliminating) the possibility of being seen by someone I know. I'm not ready for that yet. So I go just 3-4 miles away to the next mall, or the next Starbucks, where I don't go while in drab. It really does help.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest SouthernBelle

Good for you, Belle! Going out en femme will bring you increased confidence, and that really is the key to success. If you feel like you belong, you will act and appear as though you belong, and few if any will question it.

I don't know how big your town or city is, but one thing I do to make myself feel more at ease is not shop in my own neighborhood, reducing (but not eliminating) the possibility of being seen by someone I know. I'm not ready for that yet. So I go just 3-4 miles away to the next mall, or the next Starbucks, where I don't go while in drab. It really does help.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

LOL I live in houston. There are malls like everywhere. I do that too, for most things, but I've been taking a few risks lately. I like risks. They're fun ;)

Guest Emily Ray

Belle,

I am really jealous of all the experience you must be having. I live in Tijuana so I'm not really sure it would be wise to leave the house en femme. I am planning on attending college in the fall as Emily and I am just confused about my living situation. I thought my roommate would make a fuss and then I could move. But, he's totally accepting and doesn't say anything about me and the clothes I wear in the house. So now I'm stuck!!!

Congratulations Belle,

Huggs,

Emily

Belle,

Those first few baby steps are rough, but as you gain confidence you will expand your horizons.

When i first started it was to my therapist then my transfamily meetings, weekends i would go grocery shopping in a town away from where i live since i always run into people i know locally, one Sunday after grocery shopping i needed to go to the home depot for a mirror, i was going to go home and change but then asked myself... self what is the worst that could happen, maybe get outed, stared at or someone could say something, so i went for it, i had no trouble at all, each time you gain confidence.

How about going to a different store if there is one close, that will relieve the anxiety you have.

For me going to buy woman's clothes dressed as a woman was easier since i felt more comfortable.

Paula

Guest angie

I live in Tijuana so I'm not really sure it would be wise to leave the house en femme. I am planning on attending college in the fall as Emily and I am just confused about my living situation. I thought my roommate would make a fuss and then I could move. But, he's totally accepting and doesn't say anything about me and the clothes I wear in the house. So now I'm stuck!!!

Huggs,

Emily

Now Emily...

I live in Very Conservative San Antonio Texas.There is a thriving transcommunity

here.And I am one of the many that venture forth into the real world as my true self

on a daily basis.So Can You.Keep Taking those bysteps to claiming to rightful place

as a woman in this world.It is OK to fear.But don't let fear stop you from taking

your place.And your very accepting male room mate?That is a good thing sweetheart.

You will continue to have a live in protector,a man to watch your back and watch

over you.And that my dear sister,can only be a very good thing to have.(ummmhmm)

Big Hugs Emily,

Angie

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Baby steps is how you get your confidence to move on to bigger and better things! I would do the same thing: go to places out of the way of my normal area so if I screwed up or got outed or anything it was in a place I most likely would not be returning to again, and that helped a lot. Buying girl clothes as a girl though, that's just what shopping is all about! I was a lot more inclined to try clothes on because I was presenting as a female and, well, that's usually just what we do.

Risks are fun because they challenge you to get out of your safety zone and the rewards when something goes right are tremendous, but of course, there's always that risk of failure and being outed, so don't take too big of risks. When something goes right and has overwhelming success, think about what else you could do similar but just a little step further.

Say for example you went to the mall and the store you wanted to go to was in an area that wasn't travelled much and you could easily get into/out of on a side entrance. Say that experience went over really well. So next time, challenge yourself to go to a store that's a little further into the mall, a little more visible. Or even the anchor store on that side of the mall. Challenge yourself to go in there and shop for something. Again take the same route in/out but venture a little further out of your comfort zone. Not saying walk on down to the food court but I think you get what I'm saying.

Guest SouthernBelle

Belle,

I am really jealous of all the experience you must be having. I live in Tijuana so I'm not really sure it would be wise to leave the house en femme. I am planning on attending college in the fall as Emily and I am just confused about my living situation. I thought my roommate would make a fuss and then I could move. But, he's totally accepting and doesn't say anything about me and the clothes I wear in the house. So now I'm stuck!!!

Congratulations Belle,

Huggs,

Emily

Well, Emily, I'm sure things will go your way some time in the future. At least your roommate is accepting. Being able to dress and receive acceptance is heavenly.

HUGGS

Belle

Guest SouthernBelle

Belle,

Those first few baby steps are rough, but as you gain confidence you will expand your horizons.

When i first started it was to my therapist then my transfamily meetings, weekends i would go grocery shopping in a town away from where i live since i always run into people i know locally, one Sunday after grocery shopping i needed to go to the home depot for a mirror, i was going to go home and change but then asked myself... self what is the worst that could happen, maybe get outed, stared at or someone could say something, so i went for it, i had no trouble at all, each time you gain confidence.

How about going to a different store if there is one close, that will relieve the anxiety you have.

For me going to buy woman's clothes dressed as a woman was easier since i felt more comfortable.

Paula

I'm going to try buying femme clothes while wearing femme clothes today. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Guest Elizabeth K

Belle

I have an advantage over other people making replies as I have talked with you on Skype and know you are one of those naturally 95% passing T-Girls, and you have not even begun your HRT.

My prediction? Dressed age appropriate, weather appropriate, season appropriate - anyone who even knows you will look right past you. You will simply be another girl shopping. It then becomes a matter of attitude. So start slow (baby steps - sound familiar?) and get your attitude and confidence up.

To look like a girl BE a girl. Just tap into your true nature - it is already there.

So really Belle - you can do it with no problem. Work a bit on a soft voice - dress casual - enjoy life as you really are!

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest SouthernBelle

Belle

I have an advantage over other people making replies as I have talked with you on Skype and know you are one of those naturally 95% passing T-Girls, and you have not even begun your HRT.

My prediction? Dressed age appropriate, weather appropriate, season appropriate - anyone who even knows you will look right past you. You will simply be another girl shopping. It then becomes a matter of attitude. So start slow (baby steps - sound familiar?) and get your attitude and confidence up.

To look like a girl BE a girl. Just tap into your true nature - it is already there.

So really Belle - you can do it with no problem. Work a bit on a soft voice - dress casual - enjoy life as you really are!

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Awwww Lizzy, you're so sweet! You and your lovely gal pals on skype sure make me feel pretty! OK... I can do it.! I WILL DO IT!!

...wish me luck...

LOVE

Belle

Guest SouthernBelle

I'm nearly full-time now in a very short period of time. I've started going shopping dressed and it feels great. I go everywhere in pretty clothes... I just avoid a couple places right now. I'm trying to make it so that i don't even have to change clothes or take makeup off when I see my family. I'm going to buy a hockey mask, and earmuffs. lol that way, I can wear a boy shirt over my girl shirt, boy shorts over my girl shorts, a hat over my hair, earmuffs over my earrings, gloves over my nails, and a mask over my makeup.

haha I know it's silly, but that way I can be me everywhere and if they think it's silly, then they can tell me to take all that stuff off and it will have been THEIR decision.

HUGGS

Belle

Guest Donna Jean

No hockey gear, Sweetheart.....

You have a natural beauty....don't cover that up.....

Lizzy is right, you know.....you'll go far...

You already have a jump on it all....

LOVE & HUGGS!

'

Donna Jean

Guest angie

You silly girl...

When you are ready mentally,I would suggest you just let

your family meet the real you.Shorts/skirt,a cute top,

sandals or fancy flip flops,light makeup,and light on the

accessories(bracelets and rings),hair in a cute comfortable

style,and don't forget your nails or light perfume.They will

be shocked anyway if they aren't aware of Belle already,the

men will just be stunned.While the women may be surprised,they

will pay attention to how you are presenting and the Full Outfit

you are wearing.(that is a woman's natural inclination to size

other women up,head to toe)Just be sure you are ready,and make

a good presentation the first time everyone meets the real you.

Hugs and...Good Luck

Angelique

Congrats Belle on going shopping in public as yourself. I'm sure is was exciting. I'm a couple weeks behind you dear. I need to cut back on all the colorful clothes I like to wear and not be so conspicious.

It is probably a good idea to blend in right now until the confideence and comfort level increase. Then get more daring.

Love Jenny

Guest SouthernBelle

Well, for now, the only parent I see is my Mom. My dad, I've seen, but he doesn't want to talk to me. And my mom keeps secretly helping me financially, so I don't want to freak her out just yet. I HAVE, however, been to my older brother's house en femme and he was totally cool about it.

Oh, and Angie, you're right! I went shopping again today (so much fun!) and I finally bought some jewelry. The jewelry REALLY helps! All I need now is more cute clothes, more jewelry, another belt, some cute shoes and some perfume!!

Oh and a jewelry box. And a teddy bear. And and and and...

I LOVE being a girl!

MEGA HUGGS AND KISSES TO EVERYONE

Belle