• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Underworks Binders

Guest nelo

So after reading a kazillion threads on here about them and watching several youtube videos, I've got things mostly figured out, but still have a few more specific questions.

Firstly, I guess I'm tinier than I thought I was, because according to underworks I'm a "30." (28 ribs and 32 chest. 32A bra size.) Which is an extra small. I'm worried about the 983 tri-top that has a slightly different measurement system, with x-small being 28-30 instead of 29-31, AND it's more powerful, and I read the black one is different? So if I get the tri-top, and specifically the black one, should I order the x-small or the small? I don't want to asphyxiate myself, but I don't want it to be useless either.

Secondly, the 988, the one with the relaxed middle. I'm skinny and I don't need waist/hip binding. But how does the cotton change things in comparison to the 997, and can you see where the compression ends at the chest if you're wearing the white one? Because I feel like you can see it in the pic of the 988, and it makes it look sort of like a built-in bra to a tank top sort of thing.

If not that one, which one(s) do you think look like a white tank top if worn under a somewhat transparent shirt? Some of them look like they'd look "off" like the 997 when the one side is 1 panel and the other is 2 panels, but maybe that looks normal under a white shirt? I have some dress shirts I'd really like to wear, which in that case wouldn't even need so much binding power, just needs to look more tank-top-like and less sport-bra-like.

And the concealer crew-neck or v-neck, does that look anything like a proper shirt? I know they don't bind so much, but Would they be good for say... working out?

It's not even so much that I want to "pass," I like the androgynous look and don't quite care what people assume about me either way, but I generally dislike the breasts and I HATE people too see my sports bra under anything so I can never wear anything that's slightly transparent. I have quite the baggy black T-shirt collection. Also, I live in Florida, where layering is really not much of an option, because it is HOT for the better part of the year. Besides this, I also have no car and walk everywhere, so if any of these binders will cause problems with that not-really-that-strenuous-activity... please let me know. And I also like DDR, but I don't think I'd even attempt binding doing that, even if I do hate the slight breast jiggle when I play at the machine in the arcade. Probably wouldn't even bind everyday. Special occasions maybe, or if I'm doing something more interesting then going to lectures? Or if I want to look like a GQMF (one of my current goals in life; and sorry for the acronym, that's simply the term for it).

Huh, I had more questions that I thought. Thanks in advance.

Guest My_Genesis

Well I just got the 997 yesterday so I can tell you a bit about that one. I was originally looking for something that can be worn on its own, but I don't think that's gonna happen lol. The 997 on its own, doesn't make me look flat. You can tell that I am binding (even though I look flat wearing shirts.) If you wore it under a white shirt, it would probably just look like an undershirt. I am planning to wear wife beaters, tanks, and sleeveless shirts over mine (some of which will likely be white.) As for the 988, I decided not to get that one because I heard from another member that you can feel it kinda cut through where the chest part ends, so in that sense it's not as comfortable as the 997. I bought the 997 in a medium, and my two measurements are 34 and 35 or 35.5 I think, so I am borderline b/w a small and a medium. I got the medium and I also don't really need any stomach or hip etc. compression - but really, I forget that I'm wearing it most of the time. If you don't need it, you won't notice it. It doesn't make it any more uncomfortable.

And to be safe I would go with the larger size if you are in between sizes, that's pretty much what I did.

Thanks My_Genesis. I've also watched several more youtube vids, and the 988 doesn't seem to make the cut. And a white 997 does look pretty awesome from what I've seen.

That 998 is hard to find info on. It's annoying, because it's not the cotton ones, but it's not the light microfiber ones. Very odd. At first I thought it must be less binding than the 997/983 because it's grouped with the cotton ones, but it's description is very different, and it's described as "extreme" in the men's section, but I really don't know. If it's thick it might be possible to wear on its own, but if it's too restrictive then I definitely wouldn't be able to exercise in it... but it'd still be awesome to have, if it could be worn alone as a shirt. But too little info on the matter at all. Maybe I could call underworks.

That being said, still trying to think of what would be good for exercising. I'm thinking the cotton muscle (974) or cotton tank (973) because even though the reviews seem to be it doesn't do much better than a sports bra... it'd still be better than wearing a sports bra?

I'm starting to memorize these binder numbers... I think I need a break from researching. But I can't stop! I always get get pretty obsessed about researching until I find the perfect info and then buy it or plan to buy it or plan to buy it (some of my recent research includes: e-readers, gecko supplies, sunscreen that doesn't have hormones, venus fly traps).

Back when I wore bras, I was about a 34B-ish. I think my chest may have gotten slightly larger since then, though the rib size would presumably have stayed the same. I wear a small in the tri-top, and it works well. It's hard to put on the first few times, so don't worry too much about that. I had to step into it and pull it up the first few weeks. If I were you, I'd probably go ahead and get an extra small. Also, I hear underworks is good about returns, so if it is too small, you could probably just exchange it for a bigger size.

The cotton concealer shirt does look pretty much like a normal shirt, albeit a tight one. Since your chest is so small, you might be able to get away with exercising with it.

Guest Djeridoo

I have the 997 binder, myself. From the appearance of the material itself, it's not something that could appear as an ordinary tank top. The front part of the shirt is more opaque than the back part (visibly so), plus the material itself looks nothing like cotton or any shirt I've ever seen.

I work daily in my binder, and I have a pretty physical job (careworker at a nursing facility -- I'm constantly walking, bending over, kneeling, lifting, etc.). I know I'm probably not supposed to, but oh well.

The main issues I have with my binder are probably more due to my weight than the binder itself, and the fact that the binder is now kind of old and worn down/stretched out (btw I'm right between a medium and a large). Mostly, though, it just rolls up into my hips/under my stomach. It doesn't like to stay down over the butt and thighs. It also at times bunches up at the bend of my back (I think that's due to the fact that it's a bit stretched out though, and from bending over a lot).

Other than that...it's hotter than hell while working. I get a lot of sweat underneath my breasts, and before and after work I have to powder there with goldbond (I got a sweat rash at one point that was painful and itchy). But I also have larger breasts (a C- or D-Cup; something like that) so they flatten against me, and sweat builds up.

My new binder--which I wear outside of work--is more comfortable, despite being tighter. Once it's on and I've adjusted to it, I barely notice it. I have to step into it though, and it takes a little bit of work to get on. I also ended up getting a medium instead of a large, though, so perhaps it's just a little small on me. It still rolls up into my hips though (which I get used to and it doesn't bother me much), and from time to time needs to be adjusted, but that's it.

The 997 isn't very good to lounge around in though, imo. Despite my incredible discomfort with my breasts, I take the binder off right when I get home, to allow my skin to breathe and muscles to relax a bit. But perhaps that's just me.

Guest My_Genesis

My new binder--which I wear outside of work--is more comfortable, despite being tighter. Once it's on and I've adjusted to it, I barely notice it. I have to step into it though, and it takes a little bit of work to get on. I also ended up getting a medium instead of a large, though, so perhaps it's just a little small on me. It still rolls up into my hips though (which I get used to and it doesn't bother me much), and from time to time needs to be adjusted, but that's it.

Which binder is this?

So I realized I really don't even know what a nylon binder would feel like. Then I found my first sports bra, and apparently it's 95% nylon! I wore that thing like every day because I only had one at the time, and I stopped wearing it because it got really worn out... but I remember liking it, so that's good.

Other than that, I keep looking at the microfiber shirts, but I found out they might be like polyester. I never wear my polyester sports bra, even though they're the exact model as my cottons ones I love just... polyester. I just always felt like they were so hot. So I'm thinking no microfiber underworks stuff for me.

I'm still torn between small and extra small. I think... small would probably be safer to start with. Because then if it was really too big I'd be able to tell easily enough, where if I got an xs I'd have a hard time telling it was too tight because... it's a binder. I've never binded, so how would now what is "binder tight" and what is "this binder is too small tight," right?

Guest nelo

Since I cannot edit my posts, here is more info I have found:

The light compression microfiber series is 80% nylon 20% spandex, according to this review on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/RR10ZDRGA852N/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm So I'm thinking it's basically a one panel binder like the cotton series, but without the cotton layer on top. I think that's pretty interesting, I think I might go with one of those instead of the cotton one, because it's one less layer and I can always use a cotton tank top of my own anyways.

So basically there's the one panel, the two panel, and the three panel. Almost seems simple!

Guest nelo

I probably really shouldn't triple post but... I really have something else to add...

So I saw someone with a pic of themself with a tritop and the 998 over it, saying it looked much like a rash gaurd. My eyes agreed.

Then I remembered my dad got me a rash guard a couple weeks ago when we went to Myrtle Beach. So it's only 5am, the night is still young, so I decided to go try it on! I quite like it. It's black body, red sleeves, and white down the sides. I wore a white tank under it and saw the red & white sections were somewhat see through, though a black one looks better under it. And the white fabric isn't an issue unless I press it against my skin, which it doesn't because I got a medium (the small dug into my arms).

Well, I checked and the material is 80% nylon, 20% spandex. Sound familiar? =) And it's black AND white so it's really cool to have an example of something made from the same materials as the underworks binders! I'm psyched. And if this is what the binder's material feels like... I'll be pleased. I like it.

I think I might try wearing this around tomorrow, maybe outside. It'd be good to see how hot it gets and how it feels and such.

Guest My_Genesis

I probably really shouldn't triple post but... I really have something else to add...

So I saw someone with a pic of themself with a tritop and the 998 over it, saying it looked much like a rash gaurd. My eyes agreed.

Then I remembered my dad got me a rash guard a couple weeks ago when we went to Myrtle Beach. So it's only 5am, the night is still young, so I decided to go try it on! I quite like it. It's black body, red sleeves, and white down the sides. I wore a white tank under it and saw the red & white sections were somewhat see through, though a black one looks better under it. And the white fabric isn't an issue unless I press it against my skin, which it doesn't because I got a medium (the small dug into my arms).

Well, I checked and the material is 80% nylon, 20% spandex. Sound familiar? =) And it's black AND white so it's really cool to have an example of something made from the same materials as the underworks binders! I'm psyched. And if this is what the binder's material feels like... I'll be pleased. I like it.

I think I might try wearing this around tomorrow, maybe outside. It'd be good to see how hot it gets and how it feels and such.

So does the rash guard bind well? That's interesting, cuz I've never heard of anyone actually using the 998 as a binder... if it does bind well I would definitely consider buying it. I went with the 997 cuz that's the one that is popular that I know for a fact actually works. I'm skeptical of buying anything when I'm not sure it does what it needs to do.

Guest nelo

So does the rash guard bind well? That's interesting, cuz I've never heard of anyone actually using the 998 as a binder... if it does bind well I would definitely consider buying it. I went with the 997 cuz that's the one that is popular that I know for a fact actually works. I'm skeptical of buying anything when I'm not sure it does what it needs to do.

I'm finding it sort of hard to tell. Because it's quite baggy on me. I'm thinking it's... not ideal. I guess it's the second layer of the 997 and the second and third layer of the 983 that make all the difference, though it's hard for me to see why. Maybe it's the way it's sewn too. I even tried hopping around with it pulled tighter around me, or folded up over itself, and I might as well have been topless for how it kept things in place, which beyond the purpose of binding disappoints me, as I'd love to play DDR (at least at home) in something other than a sports bra. Maybe two of the microfiber types would work... but definitely not one.

Makes me wish that had one with double binding front and back besides the 988. Because than the material would be consistent all the way around.

I still can't quite tell the difference between the 998 and the 497 here: http://www.underworks.com/ac498.html and the other tanks on that page. The microfiber series are just one layer of the nylon and spandex. But what makes the 998 special? For some reason its in with the cotton covered shirts, and the only thing I can see is "on the inside are powerful layers of powernet binding your chest." But what is powernet?

I'm still unsure about the 997. It's just so long. I'm quite short. My tank tops are for women, cotton ones from old navy, and they're small and they almost are long enough to cover my butt. I'm then trying to think about that but with the same material as the rash guard. And tighter. Walking around in Florida. During the hottest time of the day.

So that being said, I think I'll go with cotton concealer tank to wear under white/lighter dress shirts, and the tri top.

Also, I do keep seeing people write about how "weird" the material for the binders are, but it's just the same as a rash guard. So if anyone wants a good excuse if someone sees your binder... there it is. Or it's your "microfiber tank top." Perfectly normal. Really.

Guest Djeridoo

I decided to look up this rash guard, and my compression shorts are like that material but my binder is NOT the same. And just as an added bit of info, the compression shorts don't compress nearly as much as the binder does. The fabrics are entirely different. At least with the 997 binder.

997 Binder. I'm sure you've seen it, but yeah. Notice how there are those weird swirls on the chest? That isn't a result of the camera or anything like that. The fabric itself contains these tiny holes, and the front has two layers, so when they overlap it causes that look.

Also the fabric itself is rather stiff, from top to bottom. It has a slightly rougher texture to it. When I'm wearing it, the back and front contrast pretty heavily. The back panel is almost transparent, and the front more opaque. It's a pretty obvious difference. Another thing, with use the hems of the binder tend to get slightly warped, at least in my experience.

The shorts in that picture are more like the rash guard material. The binder is obviously a very different material.

Guest nelo

Ah. I guess it's the way its sewn. Thanks. You know, I've never even noticed the weird swirls in the photos before at all. Now I don't know how I never saw that.

I think I'll probably place an order today or tomorrow. Might as well take the dive... and hope I order the right size...

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll make sure to write some reviews when I get them.

Guest Roux

I'm an avid supporter of the 988, personally. The bottom edge of the mesh panels don't rub my skin or feel weird against my ribs or anything. Yeah, I can feel where the pressure disappears above my stomach, but that's about it. It's comfortable, light-weight, and I forget I'm wearing it. (I live in Central Texas, and I'm very heat-sensitive. So that's saying something.)

This is also the only binder I'd wear while exercising--although I guess it depends on the type of exercise you're doing. Anything that involves flexibility of my lower trunk, this is the binder I'd choose. I'm not stick-thin (5'4, 125 lbs, 34B; size small binder), and my stomach wants a little room to, you know, move around. I feel like I don't have any flexibility at all in a full-coverage binder. In this thing, I can do sit-ups, jogging, yoga, horseback riding, whatever. (The yoga can be a little weird, I'll admit. But I haven't found a binder that wasn't weird in certain poses.)

I only have the black one, though, not the white one. Dunno if you can wear the white one without anything over it, and not see where the panels end mid-torso. (Judging from the picture, obviously, you can't.) You can definitely wear the black one without anything over it, though. No visible line or anything. If someone runs their hand down your chest and stomach, they might feel the edge--but it's much more subtle than you'd expect.

Also: I'm short-waisted. The length of the 988 is perfectly fine, even for me. I'd probably tuck it in if the shirt over it is remarkably short, though.

So, yeah. Awesome binder.

Guest My_Genesis

I'm an avid supporter of the 988, personally. The bottom edge of the mesh panels don't rub my skin or feel weird against my ribs or anything. Yeah, I can feel where the pressure disappears above my stomach, but that's about it. It's comfortable, light-weight, and I forget I'm wearing it. (I live in Central Texas, and I'm very heat-sensitive. So that's saying something.)

This is also the only binder I'd wear while exercising--although I guess it depends on the type of exercise you're doing. Anything that involves flexibility of my lower trunk, this is the binder I'd choose. I'm not stick-thin (5'4, 125 lbs, 34B; size small binder), and my stomach wants a little room to, you know, move around. I feel like I don't have any flexibility at all in a full-coverage binder. In this thing, I can do sit-ups, jogging, yoga, horseback riding, whatever. (The yoga can be a little weird, I'll admit. But I haven't found a binder that wasn't weird in certain poses.)

I only have the black one, though, not the white one. Dunno if you can wear the white one without anything over it, and not see where the panels end mid-torso. (Judging from the picture, obviously, you can't.) You can definitely wear the black one without anything over it, though. No visible line or anything. If someone runs their hand down your chest and stomach, they might feel the edge--but it's much more subtle than you'd expect.

Also: I'm short-waisted. The length of the 988 is perfectly fine, even for me. I'd probably tuck it in if the shirt over it is remarkably short, though.

So, yeah. Awesome binder.

I will have to take that one into consideration again. I would like to have a binder that can be worn alone. I think next time around I'm gonna go with a small to get a better binding effect - I'm somewhere between a 34-36A and 34B and I got the 997 in a medium, and I think I could use a bit more compression than I am getting because I am at the low end of a medium. Also, obviously you can't wear the 997 alone.

How did you work out the sizing? I know it's something to do with two measurements divided by two - but I don't remember exactly what those 2 measurements are and can't find the info on the site.

Guest nelo

I will have to take that one into consideration again. I would like to have a binder that can be worn alone. I think next time around I'm gonna go with a small to get a better binding effect - I'm somewhere between a 34-36A and 34B and I got the 997 in a medium, and I think I could use a bit more compression than I am getting because I am at the low end of a medium. Also, obviously you can't wear the 997 alone.

How did you work out the sizing? I know it's something to do with two measurements divided by two - but I don't remember exactly what those 2 measurements are and can't find the info on the site.

"1. How to measure: First take a snug measurement under the bust line with a tape measure. Next take another measurement over the fullest part of your chest. Again not too tight but not too loose. Take the average of theses two measurements and apply the result to the scale provided below. Each item has a different scale based on the elasticity of the fabric used and the cut of the garment, so please pay attention to the sizing scale for each style." ...though I always assumed that under the bust line meant around the ribcage, but now I'm not so sure.

Guest My_Genesis

"1. How to measure: First take a snug measurement under the bust line with a tape measure. Next take another measurement over the fullest part of your chest. Again not too tight but not too loose. Take the average of theses two measurements and apply the result to the scale provided below. Each item has a different scale based on the elasticity of the fabric used and the cut of the garment, so please pay attention to the sizing scale for each style." ...though I always assumed that under the bust line meant around the ribcage, but now I'm not so sure.

okay... where did you find that info and how do you find the sizing scale for each style? Is it just the part where you select the size?

Guest Roux

If you do try it, I hope it works out for you. I'm planning on getting the white version soon; if no one else has it by then, I'll be sure to let you know if it can be worn alone or not. Fingers are crossed.

Yeah, sizing's at the very top of the page. I always scroll right past it to get to the good stuff, and forget it's up there. Oops.

...though I always assumed that under the bust line meant around the ribcage, but now I'm not so sure.

Sounds to me like you're spot on. I wrap the tape around where a bra band would go: directly under the breasts and straight around my back.

Guest My_Genesis

If you do try it, I hope it works out for you. I'm planning on getting the white version soon; if no one else has it by then, I'll be sure to let you know if it can be worn alone or not. Fingers are crossed.

Yeah, sizing's at the very top of the page. I always scroll right past it to get to the good stuff, and forget it's up there. Oops.

Sounds to me like you're spot on. I wrap the tape around where a bra band would go: directly under the breasts and straight around my back.

OOOOHHH, the top of the FTM page lol. It's not on the underworks.com homepage - it's on the FTM one. Gotcha lol.

Yeah defo let me know if you get it before I do - which you probably will because I'm kinda broke lol.

Guest nelo

So, I ended up ordering a small black 983 (tri-top), an extra-small white 988 (chest concealer tank), and an extra-small black 998 (microfiber concealer shirt).

I used the under10 coupon for 10% off, and since it was over $75 I got free shipping. However, being in Florida, I had to pay sales tax. At least I should be getting my order quickly.

I'll let you guys know how they are when I get them. =)

Guest Roux

So, I ended up ordering a small black 983 (tri-top), an extra-small white 988 (chest concealer tank), and an extra-small black 998 (microfiber concealer shirt).

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your reviews. =)

Guest nelo

So I've been taking a ton of pics, along with learning how to put my camera on a time so I could take pics of myself, but I need a break from strangling myself. x_x Here's a few useful things.

The white 988. You can definitely see when the binding ends when you wear it, and it goes from opaque to transparent. HOWEVER- if you put a semi-transparent shirt over it, like my white cotton tank top... you can't see the inconsistency under the shirt. So this is definitely what I was looking for to wear under light shirts that looks like a tank top, not a bra, without having to wear an extra layer. It binds well too, though I'm unsure how to go about adjusting my breasts to look okay, especially if I get... nippy. Also not to hard to get past my hips, and easy to pull off over my head because I have the cotton part to grab.

The black 998. It was okay to get on, and definitely my size going by the by general fit of the sleeves and all, but it looks weird. The one layer of binding is sewn all the way around to the outside shirt, and that makes weird ripples in the shirt, especially the back. It doesn't bind that well either, and since it has sleeves, you can't adjust breasts like you would a tank top. It would look weird under anything, more because of the ripples than the uniboob.

The tri-top. This one I actually ordered a small instead of an x-small. Well, after much struggling I got it on... I got it on backwards. Hard to get off too. It's like... a smaller circumference than the 988 even though it's a size bigger. I couldn't get it past my hips like the 988. I even wore a tank under it, and I'm glad I did, because I'm not sure if I would have gotten it off otherwise. So I don't have anything much to say about it yet... I started getting kind of dizzy and getting an head ache, so I took a break and went to post all this. I think I might try the hip method again... in a while.

And my deodorant is too strong. I even took a quick shower before I tried the binders on, and I get deoderant streaks on the black binders. Hopefully a little water may get that out enough, since it's the black ones I'll probably be returning.