• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Underworks Binders

Guest nelo

Guest nelo

Try 2 on tri-top was more successful Got it off and on the hip method.

It's okay but... it ripples around my ribs. I think it's because I'm actually an x-small around the rib cage. However, considering my struggles getting it on, I don't think I could get an x-small on. O_o;

So now I'm thinking about what to exchange at least the 998 for, while taking another break. I think I'll have to try them all on again though to get the nuances of it all.

I'll also start going through the photos...

Guest My_Genesis

So I've been taking a ton of pics, along with learning how to put my camera on a time so I could take pics of myself, but I need a break from strangling myself. x_x Here's a few useful things.

The white 988. You can definitely see when the binding ends when you wear it, and it goes from opaque to transparent. HOWEVER- if you put a semi-transparent shirt over it, like my white cotton tank top... you can't see the inconsistency under the shirt. So this is definitely what I was looking for to wear under light shirts that looks like a tank top, not a bra, without having to wear an extra layer. It binds well too, though I'm unsure how to go about adjusting my breasts to look okay, especially if I get... nippy. Also not to hard to get past my hips, and easy to pull off over my head because I have the cotton part to grab.

The black 998. It was okay to get on, and definitely my size going by the by general fit of the sleeves and all, but it looks weird. The one layer of binding is sewn all the way around to the outside shirt, and that makes weird ripples in the shirt, especially the back. It doesn't bind that well either, and since it has sleeves, you can't adjust breasts like you would a tank top. It would look weird under anything, more because of the ripples than the uniboob.

The tri-top. This one I actually ordered a small instead of an x-small. Well, after much struggling I got it on... I got it on backwards. Hard to get off too. It's like... a smaller circumference than the 988 even though it's a size bigger. I couldn't get it past my hips like the 988. I even wore a tank under it, and I'm glad I did, because I'm not sure if I would have gotten it off otherwise. So I don't have anything much to say about it yet... I started getting kind of dizzy and getting an head ache, so I took a break and went to post all this. I think I might try the hip method again... in a while.

And my deodorant is too strong. I even took a quick shower before I tried the binders on, and I get deoderant streaks on the black binders. Hopefully a little water may get that out enough, since it's the black ones I'll probably be returning.

Deodorant issue is probably not as much of a problem if you wear the white ones.

So, if I wore something like this over the 988 (though not necessarily as tight-fitting, depending on how effective the binding is)

wifebeater-wonder.jpg

would that look alright? I wanna be able to wear wife beaters... it's really hot and humid where I live (New York) and I'm gonna need as little layering as I can, especially if I'm active, or working out or whatever.

Try 2 on tri-top was more successful Got it off and on the hip method.

It's okay but... it ripples around my ribs. I think it's because I'm actually an x-small around the rib cage. However, considering my struggles getting it on, I don't think I could get an x-small on. O_o;

So now I'm thinking about what to exchange at least the 998 for, while taking another break. I think I'll have to try them all on again though to get the nuances of it all.

I'll also start going through the photos...

Yay :) I will wait for your photos :) Thanks for the reviews!

Guest nelo

Deodorant issue is probably not as much of a problem if you wear the white ones.

So, if I wore something like this over the 988 (though not necessarily as tight-fitting, depending on how effective the binding is)

wifebeater-wonder.jpg

would that look alright? I wanna be able to wear wife beaters... it's really hot and humid where I live (New York) and I'm gonna need as little layering as I can, especially if I'm active, or working out or whatever.

Yay :) I will wait for your photos :) Thanks for the reviews!

If you arrange the wife beater correctly, yes, I think so. I mean, it definitely doesn't look like a bra underneath, you can't see where the binding begins and ends. And it's cotton on the outside. However, all I have it an overly baggy women's tank, so I have a hard time telling how a proper one would fit over the binder. Probably would be perfect under a muscle shirt though.

I'm uploading the pics to photobucket right now, and also adding captions. I... forgot I had some scoliosis until I took these photos. =( And a bit of a belly... I need to go to a chiropractor AND work out. But mostly go to the chiropractor. <_<

Guest My_Genesis

If you arrange the wife beater correctly, yes, I think so. I mean, it definitely doesn't look like a bra underneath, you can't see where the binding begins and ends. And it's cotton on the outside. However, all I have it an overly baggy women's tank, so I have a hard time telling how a proper one would fit over the binder. Probably would be perfect under a muscle shirt though.

I'm uploading the pics to photobucket right now, and also adding captions. I... forgot I had some scoliosis until I took these photos. =( And a bit of a belly... I need to go to a chiropractor AND work out. But mostly go to the chiropractor. <_<

Ha my posture is bad, I should get to a chiropractor too. Also if my spine is compressed, that could also make me shorter than I should be. I wanna be taller than I am and I'll do whatever I can to maximize my height.

Anyways.... I am concerned mostly about the binding effect. Does it make you look completely flat? I have the 997 in a medium right now and it doesn't bind as well as it should. But if I get the 988 I will be getting a small, which is bigger than a 997 small but smaller than the medium - so I'm hoping it'll bind better.

However in that pic I showed you, if I could get it to look like pecs like Efron has over there, that would be even cooler ^^

Guest nelo

Ha my posture is bad, I should get to a chiropractor too. Also if my spine is compressed, that could also make me shorter than I should be. I wanna be taller than I am and I'll do whatever I can to maximize my height.

Anyways.... I am concerned mostly about the binding effect. Does it make you look completely flat? I have the 997 in a medium right now and it doesn't bind as well as it should. But if I get the 988 I will be getting a small, which is bigger than a 997 small but smaller than the medium - so I'm hoping it'll bind better.

However in that pic I showed you, if I could get it to look like pecs like Efron has over there, that would be even cooler ^^

When I used to go to the chiropractor it didn't make me any taller... =( But it made my knees hurt less! And I got my elbow fixed once when it went numb. And once I went to one in California and it stopped my nose from bleeding all the time (the first time I went to Cali that's what happened, probably because it's much less humid there). Also fixed me up when I got in a car crash as a baby. So good stuff there.

It makes me flatter than the other two I have. =)

Yeah, those are quite the pecs. O_O

Also, you said in your last post, complaining about NY being hot humid? I live in FLORIDA.

Anyways, here's the Album, password is "lauras."

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/pr1n/Binders/

Guest Roux

Yay, photos. Thanks for posting them! That definitely helped. And I'm really glad that you like the white 988. (Also, I'm jealous. Still haven't ordered mine.) Great to know that even a somewhat transparent shirt over it would hide the contrast between bound and not-bound areas.

It binds well too, though I'm unsure how to go about adjusting my breasts to look okay, especially if I get... nippy.

My method: I grab my nipples ('nips', in case the site doesn't like that word) and pull my breasts downward and just a little bit outward. That helps prevent a bulge from showing up around the neckline, and places my nipples in a more male-appropriate location. The 'a little bit outward' also helps make them look more like pecs and less like a uniboob. Of course, our chests aren't built the same, so that might not work for you. Worth a try, maybe?

The tri-top. This one I actually ordered a small instead of an x-small. Well, after much struggling I got it on... I got it on backwards. Hard to get off too. It's like... a smaller circumference than the 988 even though it's a size bigger. I couldn't get it past my hips like the 988.

I had the exact same problems! Putting it on backward the first time, included. Glad I'm not the only one.

And my deodorant is too strong. I even took a quick shower before I tried the binders on, and I get deoderant streaks on the black binders. Hopefully a little water may get that out enough, since it's the black ones I'll probably be returning.

Yeah, I have to put deodorant on after I put the binder on, for that reason. Are there any deodorants that actually are invisible on dark fabrics? I haven't found any yet.

Amen! That's pretty close to what my chest looks like in my (black) 988, except mine's a little bigger (both in terms of protruding from my body and in going lower down my torso). Looks like a decent pecs with some extra weight on them, not Efron's strong sleek chest.

Guest nelo

So I tried them on again. The tri-top definitely looks too odd considering its really tight, so I don't feel I can go a size up or down with that. =/

The 998 is just annoying. I tried it on inside out and it binded better, but then the seams on the sleeves look weird, and it kind of defeats the purpose. Also tried on my sports bra under neath, but that didn't help at all (though it usually doesn't, being comfortable and the appropriate size and all that).

Tried wearing the 988 longer. Started to fairly quickly... but probably because I'm not used to binding. I haven't even been wearing a bra much this summer since I've been home alone. But I don't think I need a size bigger... I can breath okay, and they're supposed to stretch out some with time, and hopefully I'll get used it? Might try again and make sure its only my breasts that are hurting, and that its not to hard on my ribs, I don't want to ruin my rib cage.

Roux: I did that, but its hard to get them even, lol. They're quite... maneuverable. And I usually put deodorant on after putting on anything black instead of before, but I didn't think it was still on me so much, and probably just came off more because the material is so tight and sort of rough. Also rubbed a lot of dead skin off my breasts, I feel like I need a loofah. And no, deodorant always seems to come off on black, even though my men's deodorant says "invisible stick" and the women's deodorant says something about not coming off on black clothes. LIES.

So now what to exchange for... I also need to figure out how to go about mailing them back...

Guest nelo

So I think I'll replace the 998 with a black XS cotton concealer tank (973). Because I think it was the microfiber that annoyed me the most, and the sleeves didn't allow for maneuverability, and it wrinkled weird. It didn't bind too well, a bit better than a sports bra, but that's okay, I would like a sports bra replacement (a little better than sports bra is still better, and NOT a bra).

But I still need something to replace the tri-top. I'm not sure about the 997. It's so long. I think I'd get a small if I got that, just so it wouldn't be do uncomfortable (if its sizing is the same as the 988, I can imagine that XS binding on my chest, but not on my stomach and hips). Though the tri-top small didn't fit because it wrinkled up around the rips, would having all that long material tucked into my pants or such help that?

I'm thinking that or another 988. Maybe a small one instead of XS. But then it might not fit. Arg, I dunno. I'm just trying to think of a level of binding that's between the XS 988 and the 973. Because I want options, and I don't want to permenently disfigure my ribs anytime so. So I'm trying to set up varying levels of compression, so right now I have/want: sports bra, 973, (something here), xs 988. But these things stretch out, right? So maybe getting another XS 988 wouldn't be a big deal because if I wear it enough it'll stretch out?

Or there's the 997.

I think the second time is even harder to decide now that I know what I'm getting into... and because I think this exchanging is going to cost a bit to ship... I need to call or email underworks about that.

Guest My_Genesis

So I think I'll replace the 998 with a black XS cotton concealer tank (973). Because I think it was the microfiber that annoyed me the most, and the sleeves didn't allow for maneuverability, and it wrinkled weird. It didn't bind too well, a bit better than a sports bra, but that's okay, I would like a sports bra replacement (a little better than sports bra is still better, and NOT a bra).

But I still need something to replace the tri-top. I'm not sure about the 997. It's so long. I think I'd get a small if I got that, just so it wouldn't be do uncomfortable (if its sizing is the same as the 988, I can imagine that XS binding on my chest, but not on my stomach and hips). Though the tri-top small didn't fit because it wrinkled up around the rips, would having all that long material tucked into my pants or such help that?

I'm thinking that or another 988. Maybe a small one instead of XS. But then it might not fit. Arg, I dunno. I'm just trying to think of a level of binding that's between the XS 988 and the 973. Because I want options, and I don't want to permenently disfigure my ribs anytime so. So I'm trying to set up varying levels of compression, so right now I have/want: sports bra, 973, (something here), xs 988. But these things stretch out, right? So maybe getting another XS 988 wouldn't be a big deal because if I wear it enough it'll stretch out?

Or there's the 997.

I think the second time is even harder to decide now that I know what I'm getting into... and because I think this exchanging is going to cost a bit to ship... I need to call or email underworks about that.

lol I've bought 2 binders and I'm still trying to make a decision! I got one from T-Kingdom - didn't work too well. Have the 997 - it's okay but again the binding effect could be better. I am thinking my next binder will be the 988 in a small because the 997 I have is a medium, and I'm on the small end of medium for that one - for the small 988 I'm on the large end of the small so I think that'll bind better than the 997 I have.

So we are having similar issues with finding the right size lol. I know a trans guy on YouTube who was like a C cup or something and got... the 997 I think? In a small, and he said it was really tight but since he had quite a bit to bind he suffered through wearing a small O_O I dunno how he did that, that musta been terrrible!

Thanks for the pics btw :)

Guest Roux

I think your idea of having varying levels of compression amongst your binders is brilliant.

I moved from an XS tri-top (983) to the S 988, and I'm glad I did. There was just enough of a difference, comfort-wise, to let me wear the binder all day, but not enough of a visible difference to make me feel more self-conscious. Yeah, it was still a little uncomfortable the first few times I wore it, but I think that was just my body getting used to the idea of being bound for a full day. (At most, I managed to wear the tri-top for four hours at a time. Yikes.)

I've had my 988 for seven months (New Year's present from the boyfriend =D), and haven't noticed any stretching. But I don't wear it more than three days a week, at most. Despite that, it sounds a lot safer to buy a size larger and not have to wear it (in discomfort/pain) for a while in the hope that it stretches out.

Since I didn't feel like paying shipping again, because the first time around I got free shipping, and because I wanted to get 10% off if I exchanged, which I wouldn't if I didn't place a new order, yesterday I just returned the 998 and 983 binders for a refund. I'll just bond with my 988 for now.

But... one problem. I just found the tag to the 998 on the floor of my room! They must have serrated edges or something, because I did not rip it off! D: Now I'm worried they won't take it back... I hope they don't notice. I guess if they do... they're supposed to get it Friday or so... I guess I'll get a call or something?

I can't believe the tag came off...

But... one problem. I just found the tag to the 998 on the floor of my room! They must have serrated edges or something, because I did not rip it off! D: Now I'm worried they won't take it back... I hope they don't notice. I guess if they do... they're supposed to get it Friday or so... I guess I'll get a call or something?

I can't believe the tag came off...

Hrm. Maybe you could email them to give them a heads-up about the tag? Dunno if they have a problem with missing tags or not, but if they do, they might give you a break if they know beforehand that it was an accident and you didn't notice until it was already shipped. Fingers crossed that they just don't care.