• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

You Live In A Small Town Or The Sticks When....

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Ok...

I live "out there" in Cow County Ohio....

Yeah, the "Now Entering" and the Now Leaving" is on the same sign....

I live near a state park with a big lake...

So, today in my local Sunday paper...

The front page headline was:

Boy ingests dentures at beach

Yeah ...Big News!

I couldn't of made it through the day without that!

Nothing about the stock market, Afghanistan, oil spill or solar flares....

Oh...the second main story was "What IS that on the road?

A story about some black marks on a local road....

*sigh*

Donna Jean

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

Guest Cowboy

You live in a small town or the sticks when..

Deer, Coons, Gators, armadillos, rabbits, and other wild animals are commonly seen crossing, or on the side of the road.

The biggest complaint is how fast people drive on the dirt road.

Football is the talk of the town from the start of August til the middle of February. Or the end of march if the local high school won state, or blew it in a big game.

You can still leave your door wide open or unlocked without any worries.

Everyone knows everyone.

Everyone knows what you did last night, even if you dont.

A ball cap is not an add on to an outfit, but simply another part of it.

The biggest news in town is that the cops were called to the local trailer park.

Rain is a good thang, and hot weather is normal.

There is a church on every corner.

Men wait for October so they can go out and kill a deer, women pray for October to come faster because it means the men will be out the house.

(I have plenty more of these. Lol good topic this is.)

• Forum Moderator

You have a Sunday paper? Wow!

Our weekly sometimes features front page pictures of anniversaries or the latest catch from the lake. Accidents-even fatalities don't rate front page news-unless a local is involved. They don't much care what the tourists manage to do to themselves.

We went to the county fair last night. They had 2 small buildings of quilts and grade school art with a smattering of things like the County Yarn Workers and the anti-drug booth.

The carnival had 1 funnel cake booth, 1 bouncy house, and 1 blow up slide. The rest of the fair was livestock. As we sat there we did see the biggest excitement of the fair. The same horse got away from where it was tied to a trailer 3 times. Wish I'd had my camera-the picture would have been front page news.

They do play Bluegrass music on the courthouse lawn every Saturday night.

The biggest and busiest store in town is the thrift store-shirts 50 cents. You can't sell clothes well on garage sales because everybody knows if they wait they can get it cheaper when you donate all that stuff to the thrift store.

Not a hospital in the county. The library is one room but it does have a working computer on the net and they'll upgrade the other one to internet one of these days.

The nearest movie, Wal-mart or MacDonalds or stoplight is an 80 miles round trip . But we do have a Dollar General and a Subway. Both considered pretty uptown.

There are more boats than kids and more dogs than people. Anything under 5 dogs is considered unusual and someone is always trying to give you a hunting dog mix puppy. Those hounds and beagles do get around.

And you never, ever, ever talk about someone unless you were born here because you'll be talking to the person's blood relative sure as shootin'. And the whole clan willl come after you! (No thankfully I wasn't but my ancestors were and I've yet to me a native I'm not related to. Doesn't help me because those that moved away are considered quitters and their descendants aren't welcomed back even 100 years later. Memories are long here)

We don't have an entering or leaving sign-even a town population sign. I guess the kids took it once too often!!

But for all that we aren't Ohio and nobody ever ingested dentures at the lake! Roadkill, possum and squirrel yes-but never dentures-heck most people don't even bother wearin 'em outside of church. We have about a dozen of those-more than businesses.

JJ

Guest Janis

Schools close on the first day of hunting season.

You know when the first day of hinting season is.

People own at least 4x4 vehicle.

Janis

Guest ~Brenda~

Wow! I had no idea :unsure:

Last night (typical Saturday night in my neigborhood) there was the usual domestic violence issues replete with the cops closing off my block and surrounding the house because guns were involved. A couple of ambulances arrived to take the injured to the hospital, cops stormed the building and arrested the purpetrator.

This is so typical where I live that none of this reaches the paper.

Brenda

Guest Donna Jean

LOL

Around here, if someone pulls over and asks a cop for directions to the interstate...it shows up in the newspaper in the police log....

Donna Jean

The stop light at the center of town has been broken for about thirty years and no one cares.

The main business sells hardware, farm parts, clothes and seeds.

The weekly paper that is published in a different town has a police blotter that has reports of speeding, usually 25 in a 15 mph zone, plus the high crime of 'Dogs at Large'.

No Starbucks.

Guest Cowboy

The nearest movie, Wal-mart or MacDonalds or stoplight is an 80 miles round trip . But we do have a Dollar General and a Subway. Both considered pretty uptown.

rofl. thats true for here too!

More facts from the small Georgia town i call home:

Everyone has a police scanner, and listen to it while sittin outside on the front porch drinkin sweet tea. that way they dont miss anythin

No one knows what a "red light" is. all the lights in a 20 mile radius just flash.

Jiffy Stores sell everything. Includin fishin tackle.

Wal Mart has everything. If wal mart doesnt have it, no where else does.

a $35 pool from family dollar is considered luxury.

Guest Donna Jean

One day I heard a knock on the door....

I opened the door and there stood a farmer with a goat on the end of a rope on my porch...

"Is this here yer goat?"

"no..."

"Are ye sure?"

Yeah, pretty sure..."

"Ok, thank ya...."

Once the wife called me at work and said there was a horse grazing in our front yard...

She roped it and called around ...the guy came and got his horse...

Another time I pulled into the driveway and there tied to a stake by the house was a little, furry Billy goat...

He had wandered up looking for love...

Found his owner because he had on a flea collar with his name on it...

Country living....

Donna Jean

• Forum Moderator

We were in the cafe the other day when the crew of rough construction workers were talking about the baby squirrels and the resort owner's rule that they are fired if they hit a squirrel so they drive extra carefully and that's okay cause squirrels are cute. This from guys who grew up seeing them as big game! I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud

My 10 year old granddaughter is the only child in her grade-male or female-who hasn't bagged her first deer.

We are seen as tree hugging liberals because she doesn't own her own gun-there are no registration laws in Arkansas & you can buy a handgun or a high powered rife at a yard sale-and she didn't have camo to wear for spirit week

School has a fall holiday-not just 1 day but Wed-Fri-for deer season. The understood definition for deer season is when you can take the kids hunting with you because it's legal. The rest of the year it's just you and the buddies or the wife.

Local residents have discovered that hunting varmints under your trailer with a shotgun is even more unwise than using it to shoot the squirrel that came in the broken window as it climbs your kitchen wall. Same person. Slow learner.

Guest ChloëC

I'm originally from suburbia, Chicago. As in deepest, darkest suburbia. We were very suburban.

So, a girl I met over summer invites me up to her homecoming (yes, she's a senior in high school, and I'm a freshman in junior college :P ). It's up in the hinterlands of Wisconsin (Wisconsin, where a town on the map is a bend in the road, a gas station and a bar) I think about buying a corsage before I leave but I don't want it to go brown before I get there, so I assume there would be a florist available.

This is homecoming, our h.s. had a Friday night pep rally attended by over 2000 students, then a mile long parade, floats, etc. on Saturday morning. The JV (really frosh-soph) game was noon, varsity at 3, dance at 8. Bleachers packed with about 2-3000 people. (our school had an enrollment of 4400)

I get up there and find - the florist has no - roses, gardenias, orchids or much of anything. Only carnations and fall flowers. You gave a girl a carnation when you never wanted to see her again. 2. The bleachers have been removed for the winter, so everybody stands. 3. No parade 4. We have dinner that night at the fanciest restaurant still open - the bowling alley. The theme was the Association - Cherish. The band never figured out how to play it (so they played a poor 'SleepWalk' a 1959 tune). Oh yeah, they had no JV team, too small a school. And they lost.

That was a small town.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest ricka

Where I live the night life is pretty wild and very noisy. The frogs are the

worst but when the coyotes start--oh sister!!

On hot days I cool off by running naked through the sprinkler on the front

yard or jumping in the canal behind the house. Have never had the cows

complain, in fact they don't seem to take much notice.

And my front door doesn't lock. Which is okay since I lost the key several

years ago.

Miss Ricka

Guest Alice4016

My partner and I live in Athens..so small college town around OU; it literally has one main road and a few little turn offs ;P biggest deal in town is THE walmart (you know your in a small town when the THE is always emphasized). Moved back here from San Diego so HUGE readjustment lol :P gosh though, missed small towns but not the places to transition.

You might live in the sticks if your 24 hour restaurants and stores list the hours they are closed.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

My partner and I live in Athens..so small college town around OU; it literally has one main road and a few little turn offs ;P biggest deal in town is THE walmart (you know your in a small town when the THE is always emphasized). Moved back here from San Diego so HUGE readjustment lol :P gosh though, missed small towns but not the places to transition.

One year my wife met a Russian student online who came to Athens...

We were going to have lunch with him...

Athens seems like a good sized city to us!

It's all reletive to your position!

Huggs!

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

I am no longer in the sticks but where I grew up was definately the sticks.

You can go out as a kid and the only thing your parents had to worry about is you getting into trouble.

You could shoot a gun in your backyard and nobody would say anything.

You are taught as soon as you could hold a gun how to shoot and how to be mindfull of how they can hurt someone if playing around with them.

You would wake up in the morning and the first thing you did was ride your motorcycle in the fields.

Where you went to school had elementary, JR high and high school side by side by side and the total amount of kids of all three schools was less than the size of my senior class.

That reminds me when I moved to the big city how out of place I felt.

You also would see a gun in the back window of a truck and not even think twice about it.

You know you are living in a small town if both of the streets dead end just one block from main street and do not cross it because there is no other side of the tracks.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest praisedbeherhooves

I live in a suburb of a small city. Fun, fun fun. Well, a couple days ago I went to the library and I wanted to get some classic communist literature other than Karl Marx and Engels, such as something by Lenin, Trotsky, or Luxemburg. Well, there was two books by Marx and Engels, but not a single thing by Lenin, Trotsky or Luxemburg. However, there were PLENTY of books by Ann Coulter. This is, by the way, Mass-flipping-chusetts, the most liberal state in the U.S. And there is more by conservative shrew, who will have no lasting historical importance, than the leaders of the February Revolution!

Guest RachaelAnn

Coming from a town with less than 300 people, there is nothing but the feed store. We don't even have a city council. We defer to the county rule.

Rachael

Guest Cowboy

You live in a small town or the sticks when...

There are more dirt roads than paved ones.

When one of the roads gets paved everyone "tests it out" by how fast they can go on it and how many donuts they can do.

When the kids go outside to play the only warning they get is "watch out for snakes!"

Everyone you pass on the road you wave to, and they wave back.

If they dont wave back its safe to come to the conclusion that "they arent from round here"

It takes at least 20 minutes to get to anywhere.

One Post Office, Gas Station, and flashing light are what the county considers the town.

County Sheriffs tend to be nice, State Patrol ride around aggravating ppl.

Dogs, Chickens, Ducks, Cats, and other house pets run loose.

Everyone owns a minimum of 3 guns. All rifles.

Guest Donna Jean

There are more dirt roads than paved ones.....Check

When one of the roads gets paved everyone "tests it out" by how fast they can go on it and how many donuts they can do....Check

When the kids go outside to play the only warning they get is "watch out for snakes!"...Check

Everyone you pass on the road you wave to, and they wave back....Check

If they dont wave back its safe to come to the conclusion that "they arent from round here"...Check

It takes at least 20 minutes to get to anywhere....Check

One Post Office, Gas Station, and flashing light are what the county considers the town...Check

County Sheriffs tend to be nice, State Patrol ride around aggravating ppl....Check.

Dogs, Chickens, Ducks, Cats, and other house pets run loose....Check

Everyone owns a minimum of 3 guns. All rifles....Dang...I have a couple of hand guns, too...but, it sounds like we live in the same place....lol

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Well my grandparents and uncle's family (and various relatives) lived in a small town (population 1000) and I spent the summers there. It was even the county seat.

So - you knew you were in a small town when...

When you got a wrong number and you recognized who it is by their voice - almost always.

All your dead relatives were buried in the city cemetery - except some of them newbie families that came AFTER the Great Depression.

The meat market, clothing boutique, card and gift shop, and grocery store was the same store.

Birthday cards might have Happy Easter made into Happy Birthday because the inventory was slightly depleted

You didn't need money to buy anything because everyone knew who you were and the family had a 'tab.'

The post office had combination locks with two numbers - most people just left it set to open

Everyone had a yard dog and you knew it by name so you could call it off when you walked by.

There was a dominant he-dog, and half the town's younger dogs kinda looked like him after a while.

You got dressed up to go shopping in the big town (a town of 7000 5 miles away) because they had a Dairy Queen and a FIVE & DIME store.

Everyone burned their trash in the back in a 55 gallon drum, because there was no trash pickup

Christmas decorations downtown took less than 30 minutes to put up, including testing the bulbs - and they were those big old colored bulbs with some of the paint scratched off from so many years use

The town newspaper was a weekly - and four sides of one sheet. The biggest news was who was vacationing over the weekend - and who attended the DOC (Daughters of the Confederacy) meetings

They held a huge celebration on the bi-centenial - the men were to wear beards and overalls, the women were to wear homemade dresses and put their hair in ribbons - but nobody noticed much difference

The schools had three teachers who rotated the grades. You were likely to be taught by a teacher who was also a relative (my mom and aunt were taught by my grandmother, later by her first cousin)

EVERYBODY stopped to help you with a flat tile

'Landon loves Louese' (he misspelled it) was handpainted on the town water tower for years, even after they married - and had even after they had grandchildren

And of course no one locked the doors because they had lost the keys decades ago.

I remeber though how HOT it was in the summer and how COLD it was in the winter. People in the country tend to save their pennies - I mean, how else are you gonna pay your tab?

Elizabeth Anne

Guest Cowboy

This...

dead%20peoples%20things%20Woodbine%20GA.jpg

is the 1st thing u see comin over the satilla river.

(special thanks to the good folks of Woodbine, GA. Where theres only 300 residents, and the biggest town event is the Crawfish Festival.)

Oh. And..

You know you live in a small town or the sticks when..

While driving through the town, you blink and miss the town.