• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Slipped Up On My Diet Again

Guest Opal

Well, I thought if anything, I would have an even greater incentive to stay on my diet now. However, I just slipped up and feeling overstuffed and a bit nauseous.

Do I beat myself up mentally and emotionally over this, or just accept that it happened and move forward? :(

Well, at least I am out of the specific junk food item I binged on, so will just have to refrain from purchasing any more from the store.

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Elizabeth K

Opal - only you can enforce eating habits.

I use a maintenance diet - and if I binge I can have a bad sugar reaction (diabetis II) so that is incentive for me. I work with Sally - she needs to lose one pound a week for almost two years to be eligible for SRS - which is a real incentive, oh my yes.

I suppose you have to think incentive. I am trying to get into a size 12. I am just between 16 and 14 now - wow - my choices of women's clothing available as a 16 is so much better than when I was a size 18.

More incentive!

If I lose the 15 pounds I am trying to lose by Christams - I will have a really fine waist - SEXY! Size 34" I think - and when I was starting transitioning 20 months ago I was a 42" inch waist. I have lost 24 pounds since then. YEAAAA

On HRT - the male belly disappears when we MTF diet. BUT losing weight is harder to do when on estrogen...

So take a deep breath - resolve to eat to live, not to live to eat. Become a woman and just watch your figure! Actually - forever, from now... NO empty calories like chips, no snack foods, no soft drinks, no candy bars EVER! Think of that stuff as RAT POISON!

Lizzy

Guest therisa

Except, when we are battling depression, these types of foods, become comfort foods for us. And yes, I know the struggle, which a Type II diabetic faces, in regards, to these type of foods, being one, myself. Opal, slip ups happen, don't beat yourself up. Just have to start over again. That's all.

• Forum Moderator

Opal,

Many of us have emotional relationships with food. And feeling guilty only brings on more eating. Or wanting to eat.

Slipping once in awhile isn't bad-it can actually kick your metabolism up a little and make you lose faster.

In fact that's often what the binges are about-if you don't up your intake once in awhile your body believes it is starving-regardless of actual nutrition level and shuts your metabolism down further.

But dieting and losing weight is a complex issue-almost as complex as trans and the source of immeasurable suffering and loss of self esteem. for some people Lizzy's way works. For others it doesn't.

Some of us are addicted to food, some of us use food as a coping mechanism and some of us have medical conditions that cause weight gain or eating issues.

If losing and controlling weight was a matter of willpower and determination there wouldn't be a fat person in the country. Not a fat woman anyway. Society enforces enormous sanctions against being overweight-fat people are openly humiliated and descriminated against. They can't go out of their homes without some humiliation. Yet these are often people who show enormous determination and willpower in everything else. Organized disciplined people also get fat and have eating issues. It isn't the stereotypical lazy overindulgent person. Scientific research has indicated that some people have blood chemistry issues that make eating as imperative as breathing. Each one of those people has to find a weight loss system that works for them. And it can vary enormously. Sometimes the only solution is exercise-lots of exercise

For some weight loss is possible with a regime and close supervision of their activities. But that has been shown to be effective only as long as the supervision remains. UNLESS physical activity is dramaticlly increased as weight decreases because the eating will eventually revert some.

What I'm really saying is find what works for you -if something fails try something else. if you binge once in awhile-ignore it and go on. A lot of really fit and thin people have 1 day a week that they eat anything and everything they want. Keeps your metabolism up and keeps you from cravings or giving in to them. And in truth your body eliminates calories above a certain amount when it is an infrequent indulgence.

But if you find you just CAN'T do it then talk to your Dr. and keep trying other approaches. But don't beat yourself up. Don't blame yourself-and seek help. Controlling weight isn't always a matter of logic or willpower. Sometimes like being trans it's not your fault.

Love

JJ

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your diet Opal. All you can do is to learn where you slipped up so you won't do it again. My weakness is salt water taffy and one of my favorite places to shop, Sunflower Market has over 30 flavors. So I think we all struggle with this to some degree.

Love Jenny

Guest NadineB

Don't worry about binge eating occasionally. I have been trying to loose weight since February and believe I am doing pretty good. Lost 28lbs so far. The reason I say don't worry is cause firstly you now feel yucky and will think twice about it next time. Secondly you can't quit food so if you are constantly craving something you are going to be miserable and hate your diet, so have it, just portion your self and have just enough to satisfy yourself. One of the tricks I use is too vacumm seal small portions of danger foods so it makes it a little more difficult to get to it or you end up thinking twice before opening it. Get a small bowl to use for snacks, that way you don't eat huge amounts. Try eating smaller portions with your meals too, increase veggies and decrease meats. Try avoid white breads and white pasta, try whole grains. Substitue one meal a day with a salad but avoid creamy dressings.

My wife and I joined weight watchers back in feb and it works. We learnt which are bad food and which are filling yet good foods.

Just keep in mind that if you only loose 1 pound a week for a year it totals 52 lbs. So do it slow and sure, and if you slip up don't worry just don't give up.

From the future skinny Nadine

Guest Donna Jean

Opal....sweetheart....

Just one thing from me....ok?

If you slip up on a diet...do NOT look at it as starting all over again...

Look at it as picking up where you left off!

G'luck, Hon...

BIGG HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest NatashaJade

I've been pretty bad on my diet recently and have finally resolved to rejoin the battle and get to it (rebooting P90X next week!). We make mistakes. We're human. Don't try to be perfect. Just be really really good and don't punish yourself for overeating by eating more.

luv

Gin

Guest KimberlyF

Do I beat myself up mentally and emotionally over this, or just accept that it happened and move forward? :(

This board is all about moving forward. You can't undo the past but you can work on the future. Full speed ahead.

Kim

Dear Opal,

Over eating for many of us is not a need or even desire for food it is an emotional response to things around us that effect our lives.

I realized that the reason that i ate so much for so long was due to being depressed and lonely - in effect food and Huggy were my only true companions who always were there for me.

I should have depended more on Huggy and less on pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken and chicken fried steaks - any comfort food at all and when that didn't work it was desserts!

The truth is you do not need the food you are trying to fill an emotional void and it will never work - find a friend to help you when you feel the need to binge call them and talk instead of munching.

You may PM me if you would like.

Love ya,

Sally

Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful replies. It was just while I was doing it, I seemed to push the rational for not doing it completely aside.

I guess I at least resisted the urge to try to purge. Was not as strong as the last time I did this, but resisted purging last time, but I really have better sympathy for those that do purge and become bulimic.

Yes, this is related to SRS for me as well. Right now I am ten lbs over, would like to be ten pounds under while on HRT. Guess SRS was only a pipe dream until this week.... wait, that does not sound quite right.... SRS was more or less an abstract notion for me, figuring I had better not get my hopes up too high in case HRT was out of the question.

Anyway, it is so touching how you all responded. Wish I could give you physical hugs, but feel fortunate that we have the virtual kind.

Big Huggs,

Opal

Guest ~Brenda~

Opal hon :)

Dieting is actually a way of life. Falling out of your diet now and then is not a problem. When your lifestyle changes so that you are not ever on your diet is a problem. I usually wath what I eat and stick to my diet (my way of life). However, if I am out at a dinner with friends or at a prty where food is served, I don't worry about my diet. These ae rare occasions and not a consistent part of my life style. Therefore, I know I have nothing to worry about.

Don't worry honey :)

Love

Brenda

Guest JustShelly

[

So take a deep breath - resolve to eat to live, not to live to eat. Become a woman and just watch your figure! Actually - forever, from now... NO empty calories like chips, no snack foods, no soft drinks, no candy bars EVER! Think of that stuff as RAT POISON!

Lizzy

Lizzy is right on this!

Don't cut yourself down. We all have enough on are plate to get us down. Try to take a walk or walk in place if you can't. It may not burn off all the calories you consumed, but its a start. :)

I fortunately am trying to add a few pounds (not many though).

My fist weight loss regiment was about 7 years ago. I wasn't too much overweight the heaviest I got was 165 I'm 5'7"-8". I just didn't like myself and I didn't want to get bigger.

I never went on a diet, I just made better choices and eliminated things. I did start to exercise more, mostly push ups but nothing too serious. I managed to get down to 145 in 6-8 months.

The main reason for my wight loss I believe was eliminating soda and cutting back on cheese, (I'm from Wisconsin) :P I also switched to skim milk as I drink alot. I also snacked on dry fruit and nuts. I wish I could eat fresh fruit, but allergic to most fruit unless dehydrated.

I still eat this way to this day. That is probably one reason I don't gain any weight. I do indulge in treats quite a bit. I just don't over do it. When I do I try to exercise a little more.

I did manage to lose an additional 20 pounds. I went through (and still do) major depression due to my divorce and other things (gid). I was the opposite of alot of other people, instead of going to food for comfort I just couldn't eat at times. I definitely don't recommend this diet. :unsure:

Hang in there. Maybe you can just give up or cut back on one certain food. After awhile its like quiting smoking you don't even miss it much, difference is you can at least try it again once and awhile with out getting hooked.

Best wishes

Shelly

Guest sarah f

Opal it is ok to slip up every once in a while. What is important is that you recognize that and you will do whatever it takes to lose the weight you want to.

What you need is to just go walk it off and you will feel better about yourself. Anytime I eat too much food, I just really commit myself the next week or two to make up the difference.

Thank you, everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies! The extra salt did probably help me yesterday out in the sun.

I did take up Sally's kind offer and we discussed some possible underlying causes on PM. Sally, thank you so much!!

The urge is still there, but no further binges.

Huggs all!

Opal

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Miss_Construe

sweetie,

I would also encourage you to reflect and honor the effort and progress you have made in all of your work. When I slip up in anything I just remember that 90% is still an 'A'. When exercising I know that I can go until I can't go anymore, then I must stop and rest. I remind myself that if I choose to not get into my head about having to take breaks and focus on forward movement I can succeed. I let myself work up to my goals, even if that means starting from an embarrassingly neophytic stance.

Every day you get out of bed is a victory. Every time you stick to your diet, it is a victory. Every time you slip off your diet, but allow yourself to have that moment of rest (even enjoy your moment of rebellion), is a victory.

What you are doing is very difficult, please don't loose site of how great your effort, strength and will are.

I hope for the best for you,

Amy

sweetie,

I would also encourage you to reflect and honor the effort and progress you have made in all of your work. When I slip up in anything I just remember that 90% is still an 'A'. When exercising I know that I can go until I can't go anymore, then I must stop and rest. I remind myself that if I choose to not get into my head about having to take breaks and focus on forward movement I can succeed. I let myself work up to my goals, even if that means starting from an embarrassingly neophytic stance.

Every day you get out of bed is a victory. Every time you stick to your diet, it is a victory. Every time you slip off your diet, but allow yourself to have that moment of rest (even enjoy your moment of rebellion), is a victory.

What you are doing is very difficult, please don't loose site of how great your effort, strength and will are.

I hope for the best for you,

Amy

Thank you so much, Amy! Your words of encouragement apply in so many ways!

Huggs,

Opal