• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans-Related Songs/songs That You Identify With

Guest N.Chaos

i have weird ones. Off the top of my head... Mostly hypnogaja. They aren't really trans but they talk about being misfits and sad. But can be interpretted however.

Ballad of Johnny Alright is very personal to me although I like the bonus track version of it with more a rock tune. But I always think the words are addressed to me and that my name was just too unique. -grins-

It's a very beautiful song if you ignore the twist where it goes "It's not alright." It basically says the world isn't happy but I get the sense it tries to say to comfort yourself because although the world isn't always fair, it doesn't matter.

Misfits by hypnogaja.

Another song that is a little sad. But I always thought the comforting thing it says is that everyone is a misfit including all the big people in hollywood and yourself. I also like there is a male and female part.

This next song I like is just because its fun. Voodoo baby by hypnogaja.

It's just a love song presented a bit oddly... I also identify closely with Nine Inch nails songs but the safest song I can think of is Capital G. Capital G is just anti-government but it has a part that makes you laugh because you nod to the songs and to the lyrics exactly when he says. Hyde's song Cape of storms too but it may make you cry. it's in english though.... That's all i think for now.

Edited by MaryEllen
Removed copyrighted lyrics
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Milly

• MaryEllen

• Carolyn Marie

• Cyndee

Oh! I did forget a few! One tin soldier is a song that always makes me think on the nature and anger of the human race but also the need for tolerance. but it was a protest song though and worked well in its duty.

I also think animal I have become and papercut... but those songs are a bit obvious. God given by nine inch nails. But I think I'm starting to list songs I like rather than songs that related to me so I'll stop...

• Root Admin

Just a reminder. You may post no more than the song title and four lines of the song. Any more than that, it would be copyright infringement. Posting of copyrighted material is against our forum rules.

4). Users are asked to respect the copyright of content owners. You may not post song lyrics or images from other sites.

Posts linking to or asking for information on re-printing material without permission of the copyright owner will be removed.

MaryEllen

This one had been gathering 'bits' on my hard drive: :)

Belle of the Boulevard, by Dashboard Confessional

Don't turn away

Dry your eyes, dry your eyes

Don't be afraid

But keep it all inside, all inside

When you fall apart

Dry your eyes, dry your eyes

Life is always hard

For the Belle of the Boulevard

Gets me all fuzzy, inside...

Love,

Tiaria

• 4 weeks later...

Weezer - Pork and Beans.

The chorus always made me think of post-transition --

Imma do the things that I wanna do, I ain't got a thing to prove to you

I'll eat my candy with the pork and beans, excuse my manners if i make a scene

I ain't gonna wear the clothes that you like, I'm finally dandy with the me inside

One look in the mirror and I'm tickled pink, I don't give a hoot about what you think

Guest Guest_SL

No one mentions Namoli Brennet. Her first album, Boy in a Dress? And she only get's better from there.

We Belong from her 2006 Alive should be a standard for this site.

Sara Lee

Guest SuperKali

My World-Sick Puppies

Welcome to my world

Where everyone I ever need always ends up leaving me alone

Another lesson burned and I'm drowning in the ashes

Kicking, screaming, welcome to my world

It just seems to fit :P

Guest Lacey Lynne

Donna Jean, I'm on board with you on this one, girl!

Like, how I totally remember these days! The venerable classic:

Sorry, gals, but I love this song too, 'cause I'm a rocker chick! Back in The Day, we used to call these guys The Poor Man's Rolling Stones:

Wahoo! B) Lacey Lynne

Guest some ftm guy

most recently that i can think of is Sara Burrelis - (i spelled that wrong and don't know the right way)

king of anything, speaks perfectly to people not understanding the decision to transition, to me anyway, who knows how she meant it to be interpreted.

Guest Roxanna L

Not really about trans-people, but I can definitely see how people who are questioning their gender are running these lines through their heads

Incubus - It's Just a Phase

Note: the actual song doesn't start untill 2:10, so you may want to fast forward

you can read the lyrics here...

Guest Roxanna L

Lacey, I grew up in that generation too. I love that music. Thank You.

Jenny

I wasn't around, yet.

But I must say, I really like the music from those days much more, than I do what's on the radio, these days.

Guess, that makes a rarity...

Anna

Guest Esperanza Xochitl

"Brief And False Advertising" - Bright Eyes

On a string...

On a string...

On a string, I was held.

The way I move, can you tell?

My actions are orchestrated from above.

So I swing and I sway.

Guest sleeping chrysalid

Well, of course...

"LOLA" by the Kinks!

Donna Jean

This is a very late reply to your post Donna Jean but I was just looking for transgender musicians on the internet and I found one that rewrote that song. Dana Baitz released an album called "pretty little shape-shifter" and it features a rewrite of the song Lola. I could not find a way to listen to the song online so I do not know how much it relates to the transgender experience but from what I read about Dana Baitz it sounds like it might be a very nice song to listen to. Dana Baitz retells the story of a man attracted to a transwoman from the woman's perspective.

I do not want to misinform anybody because although I would have liked to have listened to the song before posting I could not figure out how to do so. I am broke so buying the album is not an option. If anyone has heard the song please tell me what you think but I am not trying to review or reccomend the song; I am simply providing what information I can about a transsexual musician and her version of an already mentioned song.

Guest Avery F

I'd go with 'Sing' by My Chemical Romance for when I'm happy, 'Going Under' by Evanescence for when I'm angry, 'The Slaughter Begins' by Walls of Jericho for when I'm depressed, and 'Men Are All the Same' by The Used for when I'm REALLY depressed. The lyrics aren't a one hundred percent fit for any of the songs, but they're close enough, and when combined with the music they're just perfect :)

Guest sleeping chrysalid

Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

This one makes me sob... sad.gif

This song really is sad. It kind of reminds you of how much it can hurt to dream hopelessly knowing that the wish you make may never come true. It has a bit of a hopeful tone but it is also kind of depressing. The wish is hopeful but the knowledge that the dream may never come true is painful. It's never fun to dream in despair.

The part about not forgetting your loved ones is very sentimental and it makes me think of the times I have drempt of oneday leaving to find myself being unable to avoid burning bridges. I think of what starting my own life would mean if I were to sever connections. It is something I do not want to do but I may be too afraid. It is easier to be myself around people who have not known the lie for as long as my family and it is going to be difficult. I have sometimes imagined being far away in Japan one day and the lyrics really get to me.

Guest TigerFoxMatt

While not specifically a transgender song...

"Hero" by Superchik

It basically talks about stepping up and fighting against harassment. It's a song anyone should hear, not just trans-people

Guest Roxanna L

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one, yet:

Live - Lightning Crashes

Most of the song is not TG-related, but the first stanza can be read as such:

Lightning crashes, a new mother cries;

her placenta falls to the floor.

The angel opens her eyes.

The confusion sets in,

Now, depending on who is getting confused (the child, or the mother), it can be read to refer to either an intersex condition, or primary transsexualism.

Guest TigerFoxMatt

I post too much in this topic. xP

"My Immortal" by Evanescence.

Pretty much how I read it in a TG sense is (in my case) my female body still being around despite my male mind, and haunting my male side.