• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Want To Buy Men's Underwear, Awkward Maybe?

Guest Archie

Hey everyone,

I've wanted to buy men's underwear for ages, and I'll probably buy some online soon (in the store is too difficult!)

I've been thinking... how do i explain this to my Dad? I'm 18, living at home, he still does my washing... *ashamed face*. I am in very early stages and as far as he's concerned I'm a girl whose feminine underwear he's been folding for years. I figured I could do my own wash, but knowing him he'd take my washing in without asking me, or just SEE it is enough. I don't want to have to deal with the questions?

Anyone been in a similar situation/ have advice?

Guest Robin Winter

I haven't been in that exact situation, but you could always tuck them away somewhere until you're ready to wash them yourself. Just keep tossing a few of your old pairs in with your regular laundry so he doesn't wonder why they never get dirty.

I'm 17 and my mom still does my wash. :blush: So no worries.

I actually asked my dad to pick up boxers... even before I came out to them.

It wasn't really a big deal because a lot of girls (a lot more then you think) wear boxers.

My ex girlfriend wore boxer breifs, thongs, boxers and booty shorts! ^_^

I say just go for it.

If he asks questions, just say one of your girly friends told you to try 'em or something.

Guest Avery F

Prior to coming out to my parents, I asked them if I could purchase male underwear (boxer briefs specifically) because women's underwear gave me wedgies. This was true, but it also made a great excuse for me to start some DIY transitioning :)

Prior to coming out to my parents, I asked them if I could purchase male underwear (boxer briefs specifically) because women's underwear gave me wedgies. This was true, but it also made a great excuse for me to start some DIY transitioning :)

Haha sweet :) Women's underwear is pretty bad like that. Okay.... I think my excuse for everything might just be "it's the new fashion for girls." My Dad is a self-confessed fashion-clueless father :P

Guest SidESlicker

First off, go to your nearest wall mart and pick up a pair of boxers/boxer briefs. No one is going to give you the stink eye.

Then just toss them in the laundry. If your dad asks questions, shrug and say they're comfier than your other pair. If you think that this won't blow over well with the type of person your dad is, either take up midnight laundry habits, or go to your local laundrymat.

If this doesn't sit well with you, go to your nearest wall mart and pick up some girl cut boxers/boxer briefs. Thus, still girly but just boyish enough to maybe make a happy compromise in the middle?

Lastly, if none of these situations work for you, do what I do and just go commando. Underwear is pain.

• 3 weeks later...

A girl buying boy underwear wouldn't even raise an eyebrow to anyone, anywhere. Just go in and buy them. Wanna feel intimidated, try buy girlie panties in a crowded store. Men have, what three styles in 2 colors? Women have rows and rows of different colors styles sizes and shapes. I LOVE SHOPPING. Ok, I got a little side tracked. :)

Just go and buy them. Act like you belong there. When I'm in an uncomfortable situation I just keep telling myself, "nobody cares!" know what? They don't.

Washing boy undies isn't like washing girl undies. Toss em in the machine, wash dry. Girlie stuff. Seperate, gentle wash, untangle the bras from the panties, dry, untangle.

xoxox

Shelly

Guest Doodlen

When I was buying my first pairs of boxers, someone I barely knew asked me why and I wasn't comfortable expaining, so I just said that they were more comfortable to sleep in than girl underwear. That excuse might work for your dad too if you don't wannaexplain it to him or if you think he'd ask questions. I don't know your father, so I don't know how open-minded he is to that kinda stuff, but good luck with everything! :)