• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Getting Tracked Down Through The Use Of Ssn

Guest littleboombox

Guest littleboombox

This may be the wrong place to ask but just in case someone knows a bit, I am asking.

I am thinking of changing my name, my social network, and starting a whole new life during college or once I graduate. I will keep my SSN though.

I don't plan to get a new SSN because it takes too much time, and unless I enter a witness protection program, it is almost impossible. I don't think my issues are "serious" enough to warrant a protection, nor do I have the proof to show that I am in danger. Despite this, I heard it is possible to track someone down by using their SSN, even though the person may have changed sex, name, or anything else. I am afraid of being tracked down and taken advantage of that way (blackmailing, hired stalkers, etc)

If I try to start a new life and the people from my old life find me (whom I did not expose my new identity to):

I may be blackmailed by people of intimate relationships (church, family, former friends, colleagues)

I may get my career sabotaged, or have my personal life sabotaged because I am not living the way my church and family wants me to

I am also afraid that if I change my name or sex in the future, and all my past information is linked to my future ones, a rival in my industry may sabotage me with the information. It may be possible to get my past information since I signed up to colleges with my old name and SSN, and colleges are stepping stones to getting jobs and networking so people will probably know where I came from.

Help?

Guest LottieZero

This may be the wrong place to ask but just in case someone knows a bit, I am asking.

I am thinking of changing my name, my social network, and starting a whole new life during college or once I graduate. I will keep my SSN though.

I don't plan to get a new SSN because it takes too much time, and unless I enter a witness protection program, it is almost impossible. I don't think my issues are "serious" enough to warrant a protection, nor do I have the proof to show that I am in danger. Despite this, I heard it is possible to track someone down by using their SSN, even though the person may have changed sex, name, or anything else. I am afraid of being tracked down and taken advantage of that way (blackmailing, hired stalkers, etc)

If I try to start a new life and the people from my old life find me (whom I did not expose my new identity to):

I may be blackmailed by people of intimate relationships (church, family, former friends, colleagues)

I may get my career sabotaged, or have my personal life sabotaged because I am not living the way my church and family wants me to

I am also afraid that if I change my name or sex in the future, and all my past information is linked to my future ones, a rival in my industry may sabotage me with the information. It may be possible to get my past information since I signed up to colleges with my old name and SSN, and colleges are stepping stones to getting jobs and networking so people will probably know where I came from.

Help?

Hi,

I don't honestly think that people will try to 'track you down' as you described... At any rate, how would they get access to any information stored with your social security number? (Does your old church, family etc. have your number in the first place? Why would they need it?) I'm not sure how the system in the US works, but I'm pretty sure that any old idiot wouldn't be able to get hold of your personal information as you described - it must be securely stored, surely? If you're worried about people finding out through your college, you could maybe send them a polite letter explaining that you don't want your details to be given out to anyone who you don't want to know, but I don't think they'd give such information out anyway.

Basically: I think you'll be fine. :)

Charlotte x

Yep it certainly is possible to track one down using SSN. Certainly law enforcement can. Individuals probably not without some legal need. But there are other ways of tracking people down too.

Guest Donna Jean

Yep it certainly is possible to track one down using SSN. Certainly law enforcement can. Individuals probably not without some legal need. But there are other ways of tracking people down too.

Absolutely! Correct on both counts.....

I was in law enforcement and while they have access to the SSN info...they're not supposed to to use it or allow access to it by any one...but, happens all the time.....

And other ways of finding people?

I've been able to find people that have "dropped out of sight" by using the internet...Google, church, work, school..all sorts of places to get info....you'd be surprised....

And, short of a minor miracle....don't expect to get a SSN changed...

Unless you can prove that yours was compromised and a threat to national security....ain't gonna happen...

Your SSN is assigned at birth and stays with you through life (kinda like a scary si-fi movie about the future....,the future is here!)

Donna Jean

I think the idea of your church deciding to track you down and blackmail you is a little paranoid :P You say you aren't even in college yet? Just go to college away somewhere... and live your life. Do well in school, then get a good job somewhere a bit more accepting of trans people and there isn't really much anyone can do to "get you".

Guest littleboombox

It is possible to find out the person's name, where they live, and other data by hiring private investigators to look into it. My parents definitely have my SSN because I am on their tax returns. I doubt my church has my SSN, but they would be more than willing to "save a fellow brother" if my family ever asked.

To the transgendered people here with strongly religious families and friends who would do anything to "save" you, how did you deal with them? Especially when they're invading your life and threatening to tell your current co-workers about your transition and etcetera? If my family and church did this to others, they might as well do it to me in the future.

The letter sounds plausible, thank you. Hope it surely works though.

Guest Emily Ray

I believe that if you show your legal name change to your college they have to change their records to reflect it once asked. At least in the state I live in.

I have been full-time for 7 months and I don't see the need to go stealth or deep stealth. Like you said it puts everything at risk if you do and rather than giving up your worst secret you are creating a new one.

My state where I was born I can change my name and gender marker and have the record sealed.

The only thing that will show is they were changed, but not what they were before.

You could than plausibly say you were intersexed and nobody can say different.

I don't think it will be a problem for you especialy going into the future!

Huggs

Emily

Guest littleboombox

I believe that if you show your legal name change to your college they have to change their records to reflect it once asked. At least in the state I live in.

Huggs

Emily

So, once the college changes the record, there will be no remaining data that says I was ___this___ before ___that___?

Guest Emily Ray

I would tell them to go ahead! It is only the fear of the truth being revealed! Tell them you won't change your life or live a lie and be open enough about it that no one can hurt you with the truth of our situation. Living secrets only hurts us and empowers those who want to hurt us.

Those who won't accept you as you are don't belong in your life as friends or employers. You need to live your life free of the fear that others can hurt you. They can only do that if you allow them to rent space in your head for free.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Emily Ray

No all the data will be changed and nothing will link the past with the future. I will be going back to school after my surgery and it is a conservative bible college and they will readmit me and change all my old records to the new name and sex when I start back up.

Huggs

Emily

I would sue them for harassment and blackmailing if they tried to mess with me. If your parents are a big problem, you can do the same (or get restraining orders).

Guest littleboombox

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Emily.

I would sue them for harassment and blackmailing if they tried to mess with me. If your parents are a big problem, you can do the same (or get restraining orders).

It would be possible to file for harassment and slander if they get far enough, even my family, but they're my family? I am not sure if I want to burn the bridge completely (though they kind of did that themselves by not letting me celebrate some holidays with them)

And by family, I am including my extended family. I don't want everyone raining down on me once I come out.

It would be easier to deal with friends since I could restrain them if they threatened me, same goes with the church or other organizations. But it's different with family since most people think, "they are your family they will be there no matter what, how disloyal and selfish of you to not do what they want" (though I realized that this "loyalty" thing doesn't apply to them towards me)

Yeah, restraining orders were what I was thinking, but as said, maybe my issues aren't "serious" enough? I doubt anyone will try to "end" me, and saying that I am being harassed for being "transsexual" may not cross off as a good reason for some the authorities out there. Who knows.

Guest Elizabeth K

To the transgendered people here with strongly religious families and friends who would do anything to "save" you, how did you deal with them? Especially when they're invading your life and threatening to tell your current co-workers about your transition and etcetera? If my family and church did this to others, they might as well do it to me in the future.

That was what happened to me, by my self defined "Fundamental Christian" sisters. They drove 600 miles to spend a weekend with me to save me. I wasn't having any of that. So my 'loving, Christian' sisters called up everyone they could and 'outed me.' It didn't have the effect they hoped. Those who didn't know, I was near to telling anyway. It is best to be honest with people about gender dysphoria and a need to treat it - and it explained my previous suicide attempt. The people I HAD told got peeved my sisters they would do such a thing!

And it peeved me too, because they put me in danger, unknowingly, because they did not caution people NOT to let certain people know - the ex wife's insane son for example, who is likely to want to 'teach me a lesson.'

I called them up, explained what they had done. I won't ever talk with them again until they apologize. And they will never do that. So much for following the teachings of Jesus!

I have NEVER been able to understand such a thoughtless action! It was almost vindictive. I worked hard at accepting what they did, and in the end I knew - I had to pray to the CREATOR to open their eyes and see the errors of their ways. I think they did serious damage to their souls in being like they were - and it saddens me.

BUT

To the topic. When you transition, be secure in your new self. If people somehow find out about your past, you will simply say that was someone who no longer exists. And yes, it can follow you, but it is unlikely. So what if it does? If you are secure in being you, it will just make you laugh!

And security clearance in a job? You probably won't be able to get it. If you are smart, you will explain the error of your birth to them when you apply - IF it is applicable. Transpeople have to fight the prejudices of the world. Security people might be afaid you would REACT to blackmail. You wouldn't.

I hope this helps

Lizzy

This might help...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4530756_escape-from-cult.html

Don't directly challenge them... just distance yourself from them more and more. Stop returning calls, stop seeing them, don't attend functions...

As for the family, you can do much of the same. Simply stop sharing your life with them if they are unaccepting. No need to completely "burn the bridge", but you can distance yourself from family (after you go to college, it becomes much much easier and you start to have your own life). It sounds like your parents are a bit supportive at least though, so you have a lot less trouble than you could have.

I can't imagine a cult following you after 4 years of college and avoiding them... sooner or later they will move onto other targets.

Guest littleboombox

I already tried coming out before two years ago. Everyone except my dad violently denied it, and even as they were in denial, they would pick on it and start fights with me, even to this day. I never mention that I am transgendered since they're the ones who bring it up and tell me to kill myself or go work the streets (and these are coming out of the same lips that praise Jesus). God forbid that the church community finds out, let alone the town!

For the note, I never openly rebel. I learned from day one that being passive is the way to deal, especially with my family members. Despite this, they seem to want to pick a fight with me anyway. Thus, even when I am detaching from my church, family, and the town in general, I would do it slowly. Once I am independent, I would return calls less, tell them I am too busy to see them, stop celebrating holidays with them "due to busy work schedule".. As long as I "act normal", they have no reason to look up my SSN, right?

Once I stop interacting with my family on a regular routine, I am sure they're going to think, "what happen to ____" and immediately start trying to connect with me, whether it means coming to my town, hiring private investigators to take note of my personal life, and outright lie to the police that I need to be monitored. They did all three to others so they might do it to me.

So, once the college changes the record, there will be no remaining data that says I was ___this___ before ___that___?

For someone intent on finding it, no question information can be found. If you change college and someone requests for transcript or verify school, odds are that won't out you.

One last question, if I use the same SSN but change my name and gender, then my old name and gender will not appear on my history?

Depends on what history you mean. There will be records of it that can be found. Will it show up on routine inquires, probably not. For a check at a traffic stop, well its happened. For a credit report, yes it will list other names.

Concerns over people trying to evade debt or criminal records have strong influence on legal name changes and how private the information is. I many if not most areas a legal name change requires a public publication. Even if the court records aren't available, there are companies who review those public announcements and compile the data because they know it can be sold.

While one can theoretically get the court to seal something if there is need, proving that need is another matter. I have heard people talk about doing things like that, but how many actually do?

I seen people say "nobody can find out my old name" to only have someone take that as a challenge and find out the information that supposedly is so hard to find.

Realistically the information doesn't turn up routinely. Where it does pop up, people are confused by it or dismiss it as some record error or treat the other name as belonging to a former spouse. I think getting overly paranoid about it is counter productive. Someone who is motivated enough can usually find the info.

And then there is the ultimate source when it comes to tracking down people's names. The ones who make junk mail! I still get stuff comming to old name after 10 years.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ann Onymous

For someone intent on finding it, no question information can be found. If you change college and someone requests for transcript or verify school, odds are that won't out you.

Generally speaking, this appears to be correct. I have three undergrad schools of record where enrollment records and even some financial aid records were originally created under the former name. No such references exist at this juncture. Admittedly I have never asked whether they could pull records under the former name, but I know that the law school records contain no reference to the former name.

Depends on what history you mean. There will be records of it that can be found. Will it show up on routine inquires, probably not. For a check at a traffic stop, well its happened. For a credit report, yes it will list other names.

This is not always correct. Further, even if the former name did appear for a period of time, it could be disputed off. Names on credit reports were changed as soon as the furnishers updated their records, with the key being to get the credit accounts themselves changed as soon as possible. This is as true now as it was 20+ years ago.

Regarding traffic stops, that would depend on specific jurisdictional issues. I know that I had a TCIC check run on me when I updated by DL all those years ago and there is no reference to the former name that appears on the computer.

Concerns over people trying to evade debt or criminal records have strong influence on legal name changes and how private the information is. I many if not most areas a legal name change requires a public publication. Even if the court records aren't available, there are companies who review those public announcements and compile the data because they know it can be sold.

This is especially true in the information age. Lexis and Hogan as well as some other companies have an entire industry subsector predicated upon information gathering. If it is newly filed public record, they will likely have it out there. I wholly recommend people acquiring a copy of their Lexis 'person report' to see just what is out there. While dispute options are extremely limited, it can offer insight into what information exists and to allow the option of pursuing the restriction of said information.

The biggest place one might find old information creeping out on the web relates to high school reunions. I know my old class had a lot of information on a website that I had them take down for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that they had some generally unreleasable information on their that is considered protected under State law. Lots of people have no real clue about requirements associated with the protection of personal protected identifiers...the law generally makes that an opt-in as opposed to an opt-out scenario.