• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Myspace/facebook

Guest My_Genesis

Guest My_Genesis

IDK how many here are pre-op/pre-transition besides me, but this has been on my mind for quite awhile - I'm curious to know what you indicate under "orientation" on myspace (or under "interested in" on facebook). Maybe I am the only FTM that still indicates female as my gender (??), but technically if I put female, and then put straight, it wouldn't be accurate, but gay/lesbian isn't exactly accurate either. Same thing for facebook - if I put "female/interested in women", it would appear I am gay, which isn't exactly true...and I don't want to leave it blank, b/c people start top assume things. But I'm also obviously not male to everyone else, and to put that would just raise a ton of questions..which i don't want. I'm kinda frustraed that they couldn't out somewhere to indicate TS/TG on myspace or facebook..that would make it so much easier. Anyone here who is "pre-everything", what do you do with your profiles, if you have one?

Guest raydub

i put Male on both. on facebook i also wrote a note about being trans kinda to circumvent the questions. plus for me facebook is generally people from high school and college.. so i thought id go ahead and get that out there before my reunion came up. ...ha! myspace.. i just changed it one day and never looked back. no one asked and the people who i assumed would ask i told them. very straightforward to the point especially if we werent exactly close "i identify as male." if youre really worried dude? you should try to leave it blank.

Ray

Guest GoldenKirbichu

I put male. On Facebook I also have an application that shows orientation and gender more clearly, on which I indicate myself as a transman (and give all appropriate values and such for my orientation). I don't have a Myspace though.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Since I'm not out to my family yet, I still have mine on "female". My sister, brother, and cousins are all on my friends list. I'm planning to change it soon so that it is blank.

Guest My_Genesis
Since I'm not out to my family yet, I still have mine on "female". My sister, brother, and cousins are all on my friends list. I'm planning to change it soon so that it is blank.

so what do you put for orientation?

I put male on MySpace a while ago..no one asked.

I also started posting bulletins and being very out about my transitioning and "transness" and no one's asked about that, either.

Um, for orientation...my MySpace is very precise and very tidy. Many things are hidden, so my Details are hidden.

Guest harvester52

I always marked male. Before I came out, I would say to people who asked, "It's a safety thing." They bought it because females are more targeted on the internet than men are.

Guest StrandedOutThere
so what do you put for orientation?

For a while, I just didn't put anything. Now it reads *gasp*, straight. Since I actually consider myself to be a straight guy, then it's basically true. What can I say? I sit on a throne of lies!! I'm trying to straighten things out as I go, but I've lived in a very deep, dark closet for a long time. The people I've been trying to please are probably going to be pretty upset as I stop trying to please them, so I don't want to rush anything.

Guest Sergei

I actually joined facebook in order to come out to everybody. I have alway had male and interested in men. There is though, like Golden pointed out an application especially for transpeople called SGO where you can indicate your trans status. I have that as well.

Guest brandt

well i have like 2 myspaces. i had that problemo for one of my myspaces. the other no problemo. i basically had 2 identities which wasn't good. i still do but i guess i combine them in a way. i'm pre everything and its going well. i put female once on my myspace when i wasnt out for one of my profiles. but now i put male. and orientation you can leave it blank. but i tend to put it on straight.

Guest StrandedOutThere
well i have like 2 myspaces. i had that problemo for one of my myspaces. the other no problemo. i basically had 2 identities which wasn't good. i still do but i guess i combine them in a way. i'm pre everything and its going well. i put female once on my myspace when i wasnt out for one of my profiles. but now i put male. and orientation you can leave it blank. but i tend to put it on straight.

I have the two identity thing going on with livejournal. My goal is to be "fully integrated" by the end of summer. I keep getting confused about which account I'm on anyway. Eventually I am going to end up outing myself when I don't want to if I keep trying to keep things separate. Do you ever get mixed up about which account you are using? There have been so many times that I have almost posted to a friend's journal under the wrong name.

Guest KellyGirl

I encounter people I know in life online. therefore I live the lie I live in life. my profile says strait male. this is not what I recommend you to do. however it is an option.

Guest My_Genesis
I encounter people I know in life online. therefore I live the lie I live in life. my profile says strait male. this is not what I recommend you to do. however it is an option.

So to clarify, you're suggesting I don't put straight female, correct?

Guest 2892Bandie

Hey I put Male but i tend to switch it back and forth on a regular basis. But for now it male with my sexual orentation i just don't mess with... it always is queer.

Guest brandt
I have the two identity thing going on with livejournal. My goal is to be "fully integrated" by the end of summer. I keep getting confused about which account I'm on anyway. Eventually I am going to end up outing myself when I don't want to if I keep trying to keep things separate. Do you ever get mixed up about which account you are using? There have been so many times that I have almost posted to a friend's journal under the wrong name.

the two identity for me isn't so much of a problem now than it was before. yea sometimes i did get mixed up on which one but i always checked first. i actually change it up a bit. i don't use the same things for both account so they are different. but now its not so much of a problem. the only reason i have two was because i wasn't out and before i didn't know what trans meant and so i made up an identity as a boy on myspace and just kept that one for those people that didn't know me in person. but now that i am out its kinda hard. i have two names. the people i know in person call me kayden. but the ones i know over the internet call me brandt. so i dont really know which name to choose. so i just keep both accounts but i try to keep up with both if not i keep up with the one i made identifying as male from the start. i think this is a confusing story but haha hopefuly you figure it out haha.

I actually joined facebook in order to come out to everybody. I have alway had male and interested in men. There is though, like Golden pointed out an application especially for transpeople called SGO where you can indicate your trans status. I have that as well.

I also have SGO. Awesome thing, that. I only use facebook for social networking. I keep both the default gender and orientation blank, and put them both in SGO. Which is there simply to clear all that stuff up. Of course, I'm out of the closet, so it won't work for everyone out there.

Guest Sergei

Yeah, SGO is a great application. When I joined facebook it hadn't come into existance yet, and I kept having to explain to everybody why I was male now. It makes it a lot easier and clearer to people. I do find it amazing though that people from my primary school still seem to find me and add me on facebook, despite the completely different name and gender, and the fact that I live in a different country now. I find it quite amazing. I think a lot of them are just very curious about what is going on. I've no had any negative comments off of anyone from the past that has found me.

Guest Snow Angel
I always marked male. Before I came out, I would say to people who asked, "It's a safety thing." They bought it because females are more targeted on the internet than men are.

lol that is so true. The internet is full of predators who love the anonymity. I know some girls that play online games who pick a male character and say they're a guy, simply to avoid being hit on all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest J-Walker

I just went in one day and switched everything to male, as well as my name. Some people asked questions but it was very few. Some people who I've known for years that still post on my walls haven't even bothered to ask about why it changed. It's really not such a big deal.

If you're worried about what your friends will think or about genuinely coming out, just leave everything blank. I never said my sexuality or gender on either Myspace or Facebook, though now I have all of that and more up. XP If the reason you're not interested in leaving your sexuality blank is because you're interested in finding a romantic interest, just leave it blank. If you aren't ready to change your information, you're probably not ready to get into a serious relationship with somebody (Especially if you're going to be stealth or something like that XD) as much as you might want to. If you really desire, however, you can do what most of these guys do and add SGO.

I know some girls that play online games who pick a male character and say they're a guy, simply to avoid being hit on all the time.

As do I. My favorite past time is to play "Spot the Girls" out of all of guy characters I meet on online games. It is a sure fire way to avoid getting hit on though, without a doubt.

Guest Mitchel

I never bothered with anything like myspace or facebook. If I wanted to keep in contact with people I just did. But a friend got sick of me dropping off the grid, and made me a myspace. Without my knowledge and without asking me, she put down my male name and set my gender to male. I've never openly told her about going through with my transition, but I believe everyone knows me well enough to understand without me telling them.

Guest JulianCarsen

on myspace i just put male and no response for orientation.

and on facebook it still says female interested in females because in facebook its not just a display nameand since i havent changed my name yet im not going to change my sex on facebook.

Guest CharlieRose

Some of my cousins and family friends are on facebook with me... They don't know, and I think bad things might happen if they found out via me changing my profile, so, I'm still a girl on it.