• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Academy Awards Rant

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The Oscar telecast was pleasantly entertaining, and had a few funny and poignant moments. It was well produced, moved along, and was only

about 10 minutes over its 3 hour time slot. Oh, and I would love to be able to wear at least half of the gowns that Anne Hathaway had on.

So what's my complaint? No drama! None. Zip. Nada. Zero.

You youngun's wouldn't remember, but 20-30 years ago there were few if any specialty awards shows, like the Actors Guild, Directors Guild,

Golden Globes, People's Choice, Best Boy Guild, Assistant to the Producer Guild, Second Assistant Director's Guild, Caterer's Guild, ad infinitum.

So when Oscar Night rolled around, it was all a big surprise. There was drama, there was a reason to watch besides seeing who was wearing what designer, and who had the most bling.

So yeah, it was nice to see some of my favorite movies win (go "The King's Speech.") Besides that, it was a colossal bore.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Carolyn Marie

Guest ChloëC

One of the rants I have is when they do the In Memorium part for Hollywood people who have passed away in the last year. They always miss some, and some of the ones they put up, have me scratching my head. Some can say, well, there's only 4 minutes to do it, but these were people that all contributed to make Hollywood what it is. They all, each and every one, deserve one last tribute. Is there some reason some are missed, or is it only those who the 30 and unders might have some slight idea. I mean, if not now, exactly when? Who is going to bother remembering them tomorrow.

And one of my favorites passed away last year, who I doubt they gave tribute to - Meinhard Raabe, the Munchkin Coroner in the Wizard of Oz. Now repeat after me with a certain melodic and scratchy voice - She isn't only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

Hugz

Chloë

• 5 months later...
Guest Tanyalynn

I didnt see the show, but I know that the best movie i saw last year, True Grit, didnt win. Im not knocking The King's Speech, which I did like, but if it hadnt have been a remake of a John Wayne flick, True Grit probably would have won.

• 6 months later...
Guest Kate Lyn

Sorry to add my bit ere, but since judy dench was awarded the best actress oscar for a minor support role a few years back, i dont take them seriously. BAFTA's are still good though from what i can tell. but am out of the loop in entertainment >.<

Guest PhoebeJoan

I used to do an oscar blog several years ago, its usually easy to predict the winner of most categories.

Great films still get awarded by the oscars, but there were some bewildering nomination snubs this year, namely Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton.