• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why Are We Not Overwheming Our Capitals?

Guest Emily H

Guest Emily H

Anyone remember the civil rights movement? The March to Washington with over tens of thousands of whites and blacks, and MLK's famous "I have a Dream" speech? Montgomery bus boycott? Those got results. An overwhelming number of the population said, look, we're here, we demand change.

Sure, many were killed. Peaceful protests turned into racial riots, people were severely beaten by corrupt cops. And you know what those being beaten often said? "The cameras are watching you, the whole country can see you doing this". There was so much hate, that terrorists bombed a church, killing four black girls. Unbelievable. But you know what? From them, real, true legislation was passed. And when the laws change, maybe at firs,t the people's minds don't change. But it is change and progress.

Why can't we do that? Amass ourselves in, at least 100,000 people, storm Washington (or wherever your capitol is), and demand change, get attention? Show that we are not a silent minority, but that we are here, we are brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters. Not monsters, not freaks.

Why is that not going on today?

It sounds like a good idea. Although I'm not sure there are 100,000 transgender people in the entire country. Even if we could get many of the LGBT community and allies, I still wonder if that would be enough. Remember people would have to risk their jobs to do so. I'm not sure many can be persuaded. I'd do it if it were planned way in advance. Then I can use a vacation.

My job treats transgenders very well. And almost all my transitioning is covered by insurance, except for hormones. I wouldn't be willing to risk giving that up right now.

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

Among other things I think the fact that we make significantly less than the average population while being significantly better educated means that most of us don't have the funds. And the gender dysphoria many of us suffer makes us less likely and less able to organize or participate in an organized movement of that kind. Many, many of us have spent our lives trying to be invisible and want nothing more than to slip into society as we were meant to be rather than confront it. Those who are not out couldn't risk media attention either.

Also sadly outside of Laura's apparently our community tends to be somewhat divisive and squabble among themselves.

Also jennifer is right about numbers -we don;t make up anywhere near the percentage of the population that African Americans do. Even by the most generous estimates we are but a fraction

There are just lots and lots of reasons.. Since we already scare people I suspect militancy may be counterproductive. The discrimination against us is different than that against African Americans. We can take public transportation and sit where we please. We can attend public schools. We do need more rights protected but they are not the right that were the aim of the Civil Rights movement.

A lot was accomplished but many of the types of discrimination that we have in common with African Americans-like income -remain in place to this day. Male African Americans still make almost $9,000 a year less than white European descent American males (Note that females still make even less regardless of race with African American females making slightly more than white females)-at least in the last figures I could find in 2004. http://www.ask.com/w..._United_States.

They still face discrimination in society and health care. Things were accomplished in the political arena but much less was accomplished in the areas where we also need it most.

What we need in my opinion is not militancy but education. It is now known that we suffer from a physical condition in the brain from in the womb. Even the AMA recognizes that we have a physical condition. We are in effect intersexed and more research is confirming that all the time. We need to have the public know. See that we are just everyday people dealing with a birth condition in the only ways possible. We need to educate ourselves and those around us.

Things have actually been changing fairly rapidly. We need to keep that momentum going. By being rational, well educated people presenting our case to the media that did not even exist in the old Civil Rights days. That's how I see it anyway.

Hugs

John

Guest JaniceW

Emily,

Exactly that IS going on. There are trans activist organizations all over the world and each is planning and doing many different things in their own areas. I just spent my whole day yesterday at a conference at the University of Connecticut John Dempsy Hospital on Transgender Health Care and Law, there were over 200 people at it.

PRIDE groups are planning their activities all over the world too. There was just a meeting held at the White House to discuss trans rights on Friday April 29th. There has never been a meeting at the White House about trans issues before. Various states around the country are working on passing non-discrimination laws to cover gender identity and expression. There is the ENDA action going on in Washington to make gender identity and expression a protected class in employment discrimination.

There are LGBT and Trans organization all over working to do just what you are asking. I recommend that everyone find out what is going on in their community and become involved in any way that they can to support the efforts.

Guest Ann Onymous

I'll offer up my own reason: I feel the laws as they exist on the books afford me adequate protections. I want my legislature to focus on other more important things like budgetary matters that impact my tax outlays and funding for state and local programs.

Guest Lacey Lynne

Emily:

You have touched my very heart and soul with this thread.

First, I well remember every one of the events that you allude to here ... remember them very well ... because they affected me profoundly.

When you see me say I'm a "hippie" on here, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. No, I'm not some irresponsible, drugged-out, adolescent party freak who never takes a shower. What I AM is a person of the counterculture but, rather, of a counterculture of my own.

Great, great book for you:

Meet David C. Korten. He got his degrees from Stanford and Harvard and taught at the Harvard Business School. Establishment all the way, and how. Well, he came to renounce it and all that it stands for and has written extensively about it and has become an activist. May I strongly urge you to buy and read this book from him? Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Agenda-New-Economy-Phantom-Wealth/dp/1605093750/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304307970&sr=1-1

Can't afford it? If somebody on here truly can't afford the book but sincerely is interested in these matters, PM me and let's talk. If you're for real about these things, I'll get you the book. Others on here know I keep my promises.

Also, this book is freely available. This is NOT a copyright infringement. First, the book is old. Second, it's author is about spreading his message and not about making money. Third, if you are a true thinking person with a good heart and a good mind, then you owe it to yourself to read this book. No joke. Here's the link:

http://www.exopoliticshongkong.com/uploads/David_Icke_-_The_Robots__Rebellion.pdf

Finally, hold on to your hats, ladies:

The Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction (I Can't Get No)" plays away on the radio as I write this. How altogether apt and apropos.

The Beatles' leader, John Lennon, said:

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.

He was absolutely right! He said this when I was about 15. John Lennon, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Dalai Lama, Jesus ... shaped my life to the max. They, too, said basically the same thing.

My own transition, to a great extent, is a protest agains "The Powers That Be" and their wackho system. Yes, I'm writing a book about it. All I'm gonna say.

Do you love your kids ... your grandkids? Are you under age 35? Better pay attention, here, then, folks. Not preaching. Just saying. Human, animal and plant life WILL NOT SURVIVE if "The Powers That Be" run amok as they have for roughly 5,000 years. Not because I say so. Because they are destroying everything. Morality. They have none.

Peace & Sanity

:friends: Lacey