• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Came Out To John Today

Guest Guest 1

Guest John Chiv

I have been going to a pharmacy closer to my doctor's and most of the staff there had some experience with MTFs but not FTMs but I was very open and it was a good education experience for them and they treated me well because I was very matter-of-fact. The plus there was they knew John and saw John pre T and since I have been on T.

Recently, I needed to transfer my prescription to a pharmacy closer to me and this is a place which is also small, locally owned, very conservative and has my old name. I was concerned. The old ladies at the counter are nice but this is something I was not sure they would be able to handle. Everyone in town already knows yet I needed to come out yet again.

There was no rational basis to my fear. And I decided to confront that irrational voice.

I walked in, very calmly explained that I needed to update my information but wanted to make sure that that they could provide my medicine and wanted to know the cost. I asked to speak to a pharmacist. Out walks a tall, good looking fellow who is very professional and I very calmly explain what I need and why. He smiles and says,"we are here to provide for your care, not to judge," and "I will have the office manager update your information if that makes you more comfortable and there will be no problems." He thanked me for being proud and open and then I noticed his name tag: John.

I smiled, shook his hand and said if I need anything, I think I can manage to remember that name. He looked at the name on the profile form and laughed.

It was no big deal, respect and proper presentation gets results.

Guest Donna Jean

That's wonderful, John....

And you handled it beautifully!

Yes, many do these things while nervous and with glances...

But, like you did, with a nonchalance and a "matter of fact" manner, everyone is at ease and things happen like your experience....

Good stuff, Hon!

Huggs

Dee Jay

Guest Karen K

John,

You indeed handled that well. So well in fact you have inspired me. I received a new perscription from my endo yesterday, tomorrow I will go down to CVS as myself to turn in this perscrition. I want all to know in the past, when I picked up my pills, the pharmasist always did a double take: the pills then me, the pills again and again me. So, perhaps showing up as the real me and a little explanation may be in order.

Laura Jane

Guest John Chiv

Laura Jane,

And tomorrow, the only response that pharmacist better give you is, thank you for chosing CVS, m'am. Thank you for your kind words.

John

I think that's the best approach John. It seems we are harder on ourselves than other people most of the time. When I was at the optometrist yesterday and talking to the clerk. I was nervous of an older woman behind us who was looking at glasses. We were talking loud enough for the woman to hear, but she didn't care. She actually became friendlier. She said she wasn't in a rush and she would wait until I was finished (comparing sunglasses).

Of course it isn't always going to be like this, but sometimes our fear is our own worst enemy.

Jenny

Guest Miss_Construe

John,

This is so awesome. Of course anyone who judges you would just find themselves lacking in comparison. ;)

Laura Jane,

You may also get a "my name is ******* in case you have any questions" with a smile.

<3 Always,

Amy

Guest John Chiv

Jenny,

You nailed it. We never know until we try. And we never know how someone is going to react. What if our confronting our fear frees someone else to open up?

John

Guest John Chiv

John,

This is so awesome. Of course anyone who judges you would just find themselves lacking in comparison. ;)

<3 Always,

Amy

Amy,

You are a darling.

John

Guest CariadsCarrot

You handled that awesomely John and I'm glad you got the respect you deserve in return. You're a wonderful role model and I'll think of the example you set when I talk to the mental health team tomorrow and the doctor on thursday.

Gabe

What else were we to expect?

No one can be put of when presented with the information in such a matter of fact way especially when presented with your usual style and ease.

John, you are so naturally a man that no one doubts it even when you tell them that you are FTM - I think they sort of doubt it.

Love ya,

Sally

• Admin

John, you make me proud. Nuff said. :welldone:

Carolyn Marie