• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

California Teaching Elementary Students About Gender Diversity

Michelle 2010

The comments at the end of the article are interesting too. Click or copy and paste for complete article. I pulled off Drudge this morning.

http://www.nbcbayare...-122617749.html

"Redwood Heights Elementary School, in Oakland, is in the hot-seat after the school decided to education students about gender diversity.

On Monday and Tuesday, students of every grade were taught what the school called age-appropriate lessons about gender differences. Some lessons included all-girl geckos, a transgender clownfish, and boy snakes who act "girly" reports the San Francisco Chronicle."

Guest Mina89

Yeah the comments are pretty horrifying, but I like the school's idea.

A lot of people want to take what we've done to college in the U.S. (i.e. gear it toward vocational education and away from free and critical thought) and apply it to high school, it seems.

-Valerie

• Forum Moderator

More Fox News alarmist propaganda. It must be those "New Age" liberals, corrupting our kids. No surprise, thanks for posting their link Laura.

Guest Elizabeth K

This country was founded on the principal of separation of Church and State. There are those who want us ALL to follow their rules, which are based upon religious values.

Did you read this in the article?

Critics, however, were unmoved by that explanation, claiming the lesson does not represent the values of most Oakland residents.

Its a form of religious based censorship, like the attempt to replace evolutionary theory with creationism. And the idea the dinosaurs never existed, so teaching they did exist should be banned. I have no objections (well I do in a way) of teaching both theories - but teach the TRUTH where it is clearly known.

When these unnamed Oakland residents hire an attorney at an attempt on reversing what is know about natural science, they are putting there heads in the sand. But it is nationwide. The Louisiana State Legislature defeated an anti-bullying bill just recently because it mentions protection of gay children along with the handicapped and mentally challenged. it also mentioned religion. ethnicity and gender. So it's okay to beat up a kid in Louisiana - any kid.

I was a Christian believer my entire life, but now believe many of the organizations have been largely infiltrated by evil. The devil often speaks on Sunday. This realization was driven home when my ordained Baptist Minister brother-in-law (and my sister) called me an abomination in the eyes of God, because I have a gender dysphoric condition. This man is a convicted child molester - my daughter testified against him for exposing himself to her.

Teach children real facts. Let the children make their own decisions. Stop the bullies from beating up others, based upon the bigotry taught them by their parents.

Lizzy

Guest Megan_Lynn

The devil often speaks on Sunday. This is the reason I stopped attending church many years ago. For the life of me I just can not understand how so many think being trans or gay is a choice. Really why would anyone make such a choice..They do not cause they were born that way. But when we try to fight for our rights we are spreading some gay agenda trying to recruit more people to be gay and trans they say..Do these people really listen to the crap they say? Ok done with my rant for the day..

Guest Audrey Elizabeth

I love this quote.

The Pacific Justice Institute, a conservative organization, said teaching children that there may be more than two genders, "does not represent the values of the majority of families in Oakland,"

Really? Oakland? The Bay area in general? HAAA! Ridiculous!

And what does any persons values have to do with this Anyways? This is about tolerance and acceptance that it is ok for people to have and be different and that there rights and feelings should and will be protected.

Audrey

• Admin

What else would one expect from Fox News, the nation's official "the sky is falling" channel.

I wonder how many of the Fox News staff were actually bullies when they were young?

And the idea the dinosaurs never existed, so teaching they did exist should be banned. I have no objections (well I do in a way) of teaching both theories - but teach the TRUTH where it is clearly known.

The problem, Lizzy, is that creationism isn't a legitimate (or even illgitimate) theory. It is a bible story, and nothing more. Science class is for teaching science, not fables. :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest MelissaC

I actually noticed the same line that Lizzy highlited:

Critics, however, were unmoved by that explanation, claiming the lesson does not represent the values of most Oakland residents.

This came right after an explanation that that were trying to increase acceptance and create a friendlier environment, not trying to advocate any particular lifestyle. So are critics saying that most Oakland residents' values are to be unfriendly and not accepting? Well I don't really know much about Oakland, but I don't believe that. I think there are unfriendly people everywhere yes, but most are good.

And from what they described about the lesson itself, I didn't hear anything that sounded like it wasn't appropriate.

Just media trying to scare people again I suppose...

• 2 weeks later...