• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Whether To Come Out Or Cut Off Ties?

Guest MelissaF

Guest MelissaC

I think that soon I'm going to be deleting my current facebook account and switching to my new one, a Melissa one.

In preparation for this I deleted most of the people that I barely knew anyways. Now I'm stuck with just a few that have caused a conundrum. They're old friends from high school. Not the most amazing friends ever, but certainly not horrible. Being able to just chat or play videogames with them did make the high school years a bit more bearable.

On the other hand I have friends now that I honestly like a lot more. Those people were great at the time, but I wonder a bit if I hung out with them mostly because there was nobody better. And now there is.

So I've got to decide whether to speak to those people again for the first time in a little over a year, and come out as Melissa, or whether it would just be better to be done with them and save myself the potential distaste of having a coming out go badly and ruin my streak of "everyone's been accepting so far"... As I type this I think I'm probably going to choose not to come out to them in the end. They aren't people that I ever expect to see again. My univeristy friends are the ones I feel like I'll be friends with for the rest of my life, but the high school ones never gave me the same feeling.

Hm... I may have just figured out the answer to my own problem. Better give it a little more thought to be sure.

Guest Aly Kat

I deleted all the acquaintances and sent a personalized message to my "core friends." Some didn't reply... but it was great hearing from those that did =) It's always good to have connections... and high school friends always end up all over the country. You might get a free place to sleep on a mini-vacation 5 years from now out of it haha

Hi Melissa,

I created a new facebook account for my trans identity. But, I've been thinking about friending my old account, just so that I could begin to re-introduce myself to my former circle of friends. I probably will do that - but do need to come out to a few of them more formally before I do.

You may not want to do that now, but it's a thing that you may choose to do down the road.

I an able to have two facebook accounts by having two email addresses. Can you do that too?

Good luck!

Love, Kat

Guest MelissaC

Well I could maintain two facebook accounts, but I don't really feel like doing it. I don't want to hang onto anything I don't have to that still has that male identity on it after all.

I just sent out a message to a choice 11 of my facebook friends. Might not seem like much, but I only had about 45, so that's actually about a quarter of them. They also all happen to be those best friends who are close enough to already know that I'm female and love me either way, so in the end I guess I'm not actually coming out to anybody, just switching accounts.