• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Using My Name/correct Pro-Nouns

Guest CariadsCarrot

Guest CariadsCarrot

My kids have known for a while now that I'm trans and they don't have a problem with it (they actually think it's really cool) BUT although my partner almost always refers to me as Gabe and 'he' and we correct them every time they forget they just don't seem to be getting the hang of using those terms.

I know it's the same childish carelessness that causes them to ignore all the other things we ask them repeatedly to do or not do but it's really getting to me. I'd be more willing to accept that I had to take it if it was because they actually were finding it difficult to accept me being a guy but it's not, it's just coz it isn't a big enough deal to them to make them feel they have to remember.

I've tried calling them Gertrude and Urmentrude to make the point that it's not nice being called the wrong gender name but they just think that's really funny so it doesn't make any impact.

So how do I get them to realise that it's actually important that they try to remember to use my correct name and pro-nouns?

• Forum Moderator

That is what I was going to suggest as well. It has to be worth their while to work on the change and they just don't understand how important it is to you.

The other thing is to stop and gently correct them every time, Which you are probably already doing but most kids get tired of being interrupted to make the correction

One other strategy is to stop them and ask who they are talking about since it cannot be you,

Eventually it will sink in. believe it or not I am having the same problem with my 34 year old child but more from not wanting to accept the reality of the change. However when I arrived for an appointment she made for me today I discovered she had made it under JJ and she did not mis gender me even once today while we were in the city. A first!

It'll happen. But I wish you the best with it all the same.

Johnny

Guest CariadsCarrot

Thank you Heather and Johnny. I guess I just feel I'm being neglectful as a parent if I ignore them. I may try it though...or the idea of asking who they're talking about could be a good way to try. Thank you.

My partner and I have been gently correcting them every time so far and it just seems to roll off their backs without making any impact. It's typical isn't it, if we say anything else they get annoyed at the drop of a hat but I seem to be completely unable to annoy them into thinking about what they're calling me! lol...the paradox of the early teen years!

I'm glad that you daughter used your correct name and pro-nouns today Johnny and I really hope it's the beginning of her accepting it all the time.

I know I'm lucky that my kids have accepted the fact of me being trans so easily. They actually seemed really excited at the idea of me transitioning when I told them. I guess it helps that I'm not the parent who gave birth to them and they've always been used to me taking a more paternal role in parenting from the start.

I'm sorry your daughter has so much trouble accepting who you are.

Gabe

Guest John Chiv

My advice is that you tell them why it is so important to you to be called Gabe and he. They might surprise you. You are a very loving man and I bet they will respond better when you tell them how this makes you feel. Let's see how this approach works.

John

Guest Danny S.

It took my parents Two years to finally get it right. It isn't that they dont care and wanna hurt you. They probably just forget since that was your name throughout their lives and they don't understand transitioning 100%. They will come around. Just tell them how it makes you feel when they mess up, and keep correcting them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• Lorelei
    • Petra Jane
    • MaryEllen
    • Susie
    • Quillian
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

defox
    Newest Member
    defox

1. Alin RP
      Alin RP
      (27 years old)
    2. CipherKai
      CipherKai
      (48 years old)
    3. Dawn2020
      Dawn2020
      (75 years old)
    4. Irwin
      Irwin
      (18 years old)
    5. luke_b
      luke_b
      (21 years old)
    • Sally Stone
      Personally, I think the moderators here strike the perfect balance, and I'd like to thank you all for your efforts.  
    • Sally Stone
      Don't forget TJ Maxx for purses.  I have purchased several from there.  They offer a great variety with good prices.  You can even find high-end bags at affordable prices.   @Ladypcnj purses are one of my weaknesses as well.
    • Mmindy
      You look wonderful.   🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • April Marie
      When I get stuck in androgynous mode for an extended period I have to admit that I salve the dysphoria at times through retail therapy.    And, I've been busy. I search for bargains a lot of eBay, put items on my watchlist, wait for an offer and then typically make a lower counter-offer. Most of the items I buy are new. The strategy has gotten me some amazing deals on brand name clothes.   I will also admi to being a Talbot's Girl and all these are Talbot's items. Their clothes just seem ti fit me well. New in my closet are:  
    • VickySGV
      We have even had them here from time to time I am afraid.   The rights of Free Speech actually carry a weighty responsibility to take the consequences of making that speech and it is that responsibility where the persons making the FREE hateful statements break down.  They insist that the Right shields them from the consequences, but it makes them all the more liable for them in reality.   
    • April Marie
      I hope you have a wonderful day and lunch!!
    • Jani
      When and if a post is removed here, there is always a PM to the poster to explain the action and offer them an opportunity to amend the post to align with T&C's (if possible).     Certainly!  There are always those who will flaunt the rules.  
    • Birdie
      Good morning!! Nice day preparing hamburgers and chips for lunch today for a visiting house guest.   
    • April Marie
      Actually, Memorial Day is the day where we remember and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.   Veteran's Day, November 11th, is the day where we honor all who served.   Here is something I found that distinguishes among Memorial, Veteran's and Armed Forces day.  
    • Ladypcnj
      I think Norstrom and Marshalls would be the top leading stores for both fashion and their collections of purses.
    • April Marie
      Welcome to TGP, Amy! You'll find many like-minded people here as well as tons of information. Don't worry about trying to describe yourself. Relax, ask questions, and join in where you feel comfortable.    I started out like you, crossdressing in private, even hiding it from my wife, before coming to the realization that it was much more. I'm still only out to my wife, therapist and priest.....and, of course, everyone here. We all understand how difficult it can be to find oneself amid the emotions and challenges.    We are each unique yet share many commonalities.    We're glad you found us!
    • April Marie
      You are more brave than I. It's only 60 here right now.
    • Charlize
      I was doing my best to get past the fear and shame i felt whenever i went out in public so when i went to therapy and later to my doctor i presented as the woman i felt myself to be.  There was a policy that one had to live as their chosen gender for a year prior to starting HRT.  In some ways that seemed almost right to me as one of the hardest things we do is the entry into society as ourselves.     Of course the way you dress is up to you but be assured that your doctor is there to support not denigrate your decision.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Lorelei
      And now wearing my hiking dress/swimsuit cover dress as I prepare to kayak back to my truck. 
    • Mirrabooka
      You are right, there are no actual 'roos in Tassie, just their smaller cousins like wallabies and pademelons. Devils are really cute. If you got to see the adults in full noise, you can easily understand why they got portrayed that way in the Looney Tunes cartoons! Emus, or 'bush chooks', have a habit of sneaking up on you and stealing food. I was at an open range zoo a few years ago and was holding a bag of pellets behind me to hide it from the emus in front of me, when one snuck up behind me and stole it. I've never jumped so high in my life! I almost needed to change my undies! 😆
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.