• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Who is the Most Important/Influential Sci Fi Author?

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Well, this should elicit some good discussion. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to define "Important" or "Influential." I'll let everyone decide how to best define that. What I would like is your opinion on which author has had the most profound influence on you, the science fiction genre, and literature. You can include the reasons why, but you don't have to.

My pick is Isaac Asimov. IMO, he defined the genre of modern "hard" sci fi. His "Foundation" trilogy, his robot novels and short stories, combined with his scientific knowledge, gave the genre the legitimacy and seriousness it deserved. A lot of the field of robotics was influenced by his thinking and his novels, and there have also been attempts to develope a type of "psychohistory" that is the basis of the Foundation series.

Of course, I just enjoy reading his work, because it is entertaining, plausible, and fascinating.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Ray Bradbury.......

On my nightstand is a compilation of 100 stories (Dang thick book!)

I totally enjoy it and every story is different....

My .02

Dee Jay

• Forum Moderator

My candidate might not qualify being more of a creator and screenwriter than an author per se but for all that some of the early stuff is simplistic it still brought fourth messages others were afraid to face. That would be Gene Roddenberry. Because with his Star Trek I believe he brought science fiction to millions who otherwise would never have heard of it. I think he influenced the direction of hard science in many fields as well -there have been History Channel programs about the scientific impact Star Trek has had.

And I believe his views and vision helped raise social consciousness under the guise of entertainment.

But as I said perhaps he wouldn't qualify as an author.

Strictly limited to an author I would have to agree with you Carolyn.

Hugs

Johnny

Guest Michaele

Mine is Marion Zimmer Bradley. Her Darkover series has a multitude of strong female characters. The Mists of Avilon follows Morgan LaFey, King Arthur's sister and puts an alternate spin on the saga.

Marion lived in Berkley, Ca. her writing was influanced by nearby San Francisco and quite liberal. Many of her books including openly LGBT main characters.

Bradley wrote many Darkover novels by herself, but in her later years collaborated with other authors for publication; her literary collaborators have continued the series since her death.

Big Hugs

Shelley

Guest ChloëC

Probably getting right down to it, John Campbell. He not only wrote original great stories, but encouraged a lot of up and coming writers to expand their horizons. For Azimov fans, (which I am, btw) this quote about John Campbell from Isaac says it all - the most powerful force in science fiction ever, and for the first ten years of his editorship he dominated the field completely"

In a short time (around 1939) as editor of Astounding Science Fiction, he bought and published the very first stories by - A.E. van Vogt, Robert A Heinlein and Theodore Sturgeon and one of Asimov's first stories. THAT is impressive.

Not to downplay later writers, but somebody had to get it all going, and see potential, and make use of it. And of course, he was probably influenced by Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

Hugz

Chloë

ps I happen to like Ursula LeGuin and Anne McCaffrey

Hugz

Chloë

• Admin

This is great. Already some unexpected and (for me) unknown writers and editors. I'm intrigued by the info on Marion Bradley, and yes, Johnny, I agree that Roddenberry had a huge influence. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Ray Bradbury is my guy. I read his books as a kid and I think it's the reason I read so much today. The others are great also, but Bradbury, taught me how to think.

Shari

I would have to say George Orwell - we do seem to be living his books so I guess they were influential.

1984 being the handbook for Homeland Security measures.

Animal Farm being a history of the Russian Revolution and a blue print for any yet to come.

Look further back Jules Verne and H.G. Wells come to mind as to having forecast many "Things To Come".

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Izzybell

I've been a Michael Crichton fan for a while, but I'm basically torn between him, Ray Bradbury, Gene Roddenberry. I guess it's a bit safe for me to choose H.G. Wells, but The Time Machine was the first real book I ever read. :)

I'm with Carolyn in that my favorite sci-fi author has to be Isaac Asimov. I've read all the Robot novels, the foundation trilogy, and all the books that tie them together. Asimov was a physicist and it really showed in his novels. Long live R. Daneel Olivaw.

The other books I really like are Piers Anthony's "The Incarnations of Immortality". They are probably as much fantasy as sci-fi, but really make you think.

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

Guest Sanjiyan

I am surprised no one has mentioned Arthur C. Clarke yet. While not a big fan of his books, many of his ideas have made a difference in our lives. As the best know example is the use of communication satellites in geostationary orbit.

Love,

-Lena

Guest Svenna

Hmmm...

Well, if we are going to expand the criteria to include the likes of Roddenberry, then it is perhaps fair to reference a fellow like Leonardo Da Vinci, too...

His sketches and notes laid the groundwork for the work of Verne and Wells, who in turn made it possible for Heinlein, Bradbury and Orwell to emerge as both writers of science fiction AND succinct social commentary...

I lost interest in sci-fi before I had a chance to read much beyond Asimov and Clarke et al, but I was impressed by the level of detail the more modern sci-fi contained. By the time Star Trek became available in 'living color' on television, I began to prefer the visuals of cinematic science fiction over print...

It was around this same time that I was introduced to JRR Tolkien and the escapist joys of science fantasy. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and The Simarillion lead into the three triads of the "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" by Stephen R. Donaldson, after which, my interest in popular literature finally waned.

From there I re-emerged myself in the traditional literary greats, with my interests eventually leading me through the great works of American literature. I systematically, and chronologically, read through the 'Top 100' works of the 16-20 centuries, with my greatest interest finally being found in the works of the early 20th century. Dos Passos, Fitzgerald, Miller, Hemingway and their contemporaries left perhaps the most profound impression on my young mind..

If I had to choose just one 20th century Sci-fi guy, I'd have to say Bradbury, no wait, Heinlein, er, I mean Orwell...ah, you know what I mean!

LOL...Svenna

• Admin

I'm with Carolyn in that my favorite sci-fi author has to be Isaac Asimov. I've read all the Robot novels, the foundation trilogy, and all the books that tie them together. Asimov was a physicist and it really showed in his novels. Long live R. Daneel Olivaw.

Long live also Dr. Susan Calvin, one of my earliest female heroes. Her anguish in the Asimov story "Liar" is still palpable to me today.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Heinlen, Clark, Asimov, Wells, Verne, Anthony, McCaffery, Bradbury. So many to choose from, but wait there's more. Greg Bear, Orson Scott Card, Larry Niven, Frederick Pohl, and John Ringo to name a few. All of these withouteven dipping into visual media (Spielburg, Lucas, Roddenbury) or fantastical works (Tolkein, Lewis. Bradley, etc.)

Wow, where to start? Hmm, personally Anne McCaffery has probably influenced me the most among Sci-Fi writers, but her work has not influenced the genre nearly so much as others. Among Fantasy authors, Melanie Rawn has had the largest personal influence, but Marion Zimmer Bradley is by far my favorite, "Magic's Pawn" uttrrly and completely floored me.

All that said, I think the grestest creative mind of Science Fiction is undoubtedly Issac Asimov, and my reasoning is vdry much the same as Carolyn's.

<3

Elena

Guest Michaele

Anyone ever read Robert A. Heinlein's "I will fear no evil". Interesting concept of a male brain in a female body. Dang where have I heard about that before. This one was a brain transplant though, humm, any of you FtM's want to swap, I have a slightly used MtF body pretty high mileage though. LOL

Big Hugs

Shelley

• Admin

Anyone ever read Robert A. Heinlein's "I will fear no evil". Interesting concept of a male brain in a female body.

OMG, yes! It has been many years, but that story always resonated with me, and yes, it resulted in quite a number of fantasy daydreams. :rolleyes: I dreamed repeatedly about having an accident or being shot and having to have my brain transplanted into a beautiful woman's body.

Thanks for that reminder, Michaele.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 1 month later...
Guest Nikki_R

I'm going to post my picks before reading yours above.

Isaac Asimov is the OG. Not certain if that is even a point that could be argued.

Vernor Vinge is the mind I'd say that is shaping our futures both in the real world and the sci-fi world with his ideas of the Singularity nature of technology. He is the one who influenced Kurzweil. But he is unsung and hardly known beyond those that are aware of these matters.

Okay, now I'll read yours. Just wanted to put it out there with out any influence.

Vernor Vinge