• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

otr trucker needs advice from others in trucking field.....

Guest eliza.d

Guest eliza.d

ok, this is a big concern of mine. im an over the road trucker. i own my own truck, trailer, and authority. for how much longer im not sure. losing money badly. ive been hauling produce for awhile since my trailers a reefer. im running myself to death and coming up short. im thinking about getting a local/daycabber gig and letting my truck, trailer, and authority go. too much headache not enough money. but being that im going to start hrt soon and begin my transition, i need the legal protection from within a company that i cant get from brokers. also, its not safe out here for us. too much opportunity for others to hurt us and get away with it.

i need some advice from other trucker girls. this lonely world out here is not conducive to my inner and outer well being.

thanks sooo much!

Eliza D

• Admin

I can't offer any help, Eliza, but we do have 3-4 active members who are MtF long haul truckers, and hopefully one or more will be along and answer your question. The girls I know have not reported any serious mishaps out on the road, so I think that's a positive sign.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest eliza.d

well thats good news. i get strange looks, but its probably my rhinestone dangle earrings. i don have a suitable wig yet and i started losing my hair at 23. it being winter i keep my hoody up since im very self conscious about that. i keep it toned down out here until i can begin to pass, but i do wear some things for myself alone. like the earrings, some glitzy shades, a necklace, and what i call my princess shoes....their those little lacey flats with bows at the toes. winter again, i wear girl jeans that arent sking tight, but not baggy. when its warm with shorts and short sleeves everyone can see my shaved legs and arms. i dont guess i needed to give all the details, but i thought it might create an idea so people her can help me. i would be dressed like i am in my avatar all the time, but i need to let hrt work its magic as well as electrolysis for the 5 oclock shadow. before i go full time. i cant wait, but patience is something i learned in the army. plus, wifey let me borrow the wig in the pic. i love it but its a little long. im more for just past shoulder length, instead of middle of the back. i like bangs too, so its going to be fun picking out my very own wig. i do have a few things. just got an awesome bottle of juicy couture eau de parfum from marshalls. woohoo!

its great being able to share all this with everyone here. and outstanding, the amount of support and advice im getting.

lots of fun too.

sleepy time for me...

Eliza D

Eliza,

Hey honey! First, welcome to the playground!

Second, remember the Law of the land, which is even more true for us drivers than most. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Third, why am I writing this like a list? I have no idea, just came out that way.

Okay, to the meat of it all. I drive for one of the "Five"... Eww, I know, but I've got a plan and it's looking very good so far, getting me where I want to be. As far as being out and transitioning on the road, while there is certainly opportunity to run into problems I haven't run into anything more severe than a dirty look since I went full time several months ago and I run all 48 states. Really all that is required is typical common sense precautions. Personally I take a whole lot more precautions than that as well but to date those have not been even close to necessary (Thankfully).

Regarding running with a big carrier, I must say they have been absolutely spectacular, and our other most active member who drives for another of the monster carriers has had similarly great support from her company. I certainly wouldn't fault you for looking for that sort of stability while heading into transition.

My biggest challenges were actually with finding a therapist that was willing to work with me via skype, and getting my beard zapped away. Took a good deal of poking around to find a therapist but I couldn't be happier with him. We arrange weekly skype sessions and when I get home I go in to see him in the office. Beard go bye-bye? Well, electrolysis is not a very realistic option at this point since as you know driving OTR, weekly appointments are virtrually impossible. Laser is not that big of a deal as the appointments are further apart and the center I am using is actually very good about letting me reschedule last minute if I don't make it home exactly when I expected to originally. Overall it makes for a very hectic couple of days when I do go into the house, not as much of a break as I would like, but the wheels gotta be turning to make money, that's just the nature of the game y'know.

Feel free to hit me up with a PM if there is anything at all you'd like to talk about. Best of luck to you dear.

<3

Elena

Guest eliza.d

hi elena, and thanks for your support. im just starting hrt and will get electrolysis and laser as i can afford it. thanksfully, im not very hairy, but my male pattern baldness and five oclock shadow are a big concern for me. ill get a good wig ntil i can afford hair transplants. im really into being as natural as possible. i plan on going full time soon, but im losing money like the rain falls with my own authority. so a big company is a viable next step for me. i plan on doing local or daycabbingso i can be around home more ofter, primarily to be with my wife, and of course for my girly appointments. i started with swift 2 years ago, but i dont plan on going back otr with forxed dispatch, but money is the primary concern as is anti discrimination. im at home till tomorrow and then ill get back to ya by pm. i bet you can offer me so me some guidance for all thos. and congrats on going full time. you be brave girl!

be safe out there and make sure to keep the greasy side down.

hammer down girlfriend,

Eliza D.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I'm a protected class at my carrier. I was told by a few people that if ANYONE harrasses me or says anything rude or gets confrontational, to go see HR and they will have my back. Fortunately, I have not had any problems while on company property. When I have the time, I have gone into one of the terminals as myself and have not had any problems anywhere. Got some compliments but never any problems.

Now, of all the opportunities I've had to be myself on the road (and as you know, in trucking, some times it's hard enough to find time for a shower, let alone time to do makeup and hair), I've only had one weird incident and that was walking into a consignee in the wee hours of the morning and having 5 men turn around and stare at you. I didn't feel comfortable in there at all so I just gave my bills to one of the guys and I went back to my truck and stayed there.

I'll say of all the times I've been dressed on the road, I've had a lot more good experiences than bad. I do take normal precautions for safety, just like any other woman would. I would like to think my size (6'5") is also a deterrent as people don't tend to pick on someone bigger than they are. I'm always aware of my surroundings. If I need to get out of the truck late at night, I make it very quick and stay in well-lit areas and/or well-populated areas. I've never feared for my safety nor had anyone think I was a lot lizard.

My recruiter also lets me know if she's hired another trans lady and she tells them about me and how many of the questions and concerns they have expressed to her are pretty much the same ones that I asked her, too, shortly before I was hired.

..and p.s. my carrier is not one of the big 5 mega carriers, thank you very much! Then again if we keep buying some of these other companies we may soon become one.

Oh and we're dry van only. 48 state and Canada. Speaking of Canada, I have had only minimal problems crossing the border. In every case it was where the info on their screen said "Female" but my driver's license reads "Male". I then explain to them that I'm transitioning from male to female and shortly after I say those words they usually cut me off, stamp my paperwork and let me leave.

Oh yeah, and I'm currently doing laser hair removal. The sessions are 6 weeks apart, so I schedule my home time for every 6 weeks. I only stay home about 2-3 days so I'm back on the road before the redness goes away. They've been really good at getting me home every 6 weeks for my sessions.

Guest eliza.d

thanks, girls...i appreciate the testimony. experiences of others helps me formulate my safety plan. ive always been pretty good at sensing trouble and anticipating the intentions of those around me. im panning to go full time soon, and you can never know exactly what to expect out here on the road. being aware and prepared is key. as is remaining calm in all situations. three very important things to know, i learned them in the army. and theres something to be said for female intuition, even if it is hidden in the facade of a male body.

pm me if you have any specifcs ya wanta add that might not be suitable for the forum posts due to privacy.

hugs to all,

Eliza

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Another secret tip: don't try tarping a load in a mini skirt or heels.

Speaking of skirts, if you do wear one, be mindful while climbing into or out of your truck. Gusts of air like to sneak up a skirt when you least expect it and you could end up flashing the entire fuel island.

Guest eliza.d

haaaaah!. havent worn any dresses or skirts out here yet. havent got my own wig setup yet, and need my wifes crash course on makeup. and of course a makeup survival kit. i cant wait to go full time, but i need to be a little more prepared. i like to look good, natural.....not planning on presenting the " i just rolled out of the bed after a hard nite of clubbin with the girls! lol!.

i used to flatbed, but even in man form, i lacked the strength and endurance to keep from killing myself tarping and chaining. now that ive lost almost 20lbs, down to a size 34(man size of course,lol!), i probably have the endurance to do it, but i prefer to just open the doors and back in. reefer or dryvan only, thank you ma'am.

lots of love and laughs!,

Eliza D.

Speaking of makeup tips, one most cisgirls don't know, get 2 foundations. One that matches your skin and one 2-3 shades too orange for neutralizing beard shadow. Absolutely works wonders!

<3

Elena

Guest eliza.d

thanks elena, i look forward to incorporating the joy of makeup into my daily life. its a necessity for living full tim3which i will be doing soon, but not soon enough.

hopefully i wont poke my eye out! lol!

ttyl,

Eliza

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eliza.d

im turning in my tractor, trailer, and letting my authority go... too much overhead, not enough money coming in, and waaay to much stress and headaches.

can you other trucker girls advise me on a good carrier to hold the steering wheel for?

and one that hopefully pays good?

of course what is really important is non discrimination of us tgirls in getting hired.

thanks sooo much,

Eliza

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I use a concealer on my beard shadow and then put foundation over it. I like CoverGirl's concealer. Sure it's supposed to be for dark circles under your eyes but I found it covers up beard shadow just fine. Oh I also use a liquid foundation. But anyway, there are a few trucking companies that are transgender friendly. I know mine is. I'm pretty sure Elena's is. I've also heard good things about Crete and Schneider but my info about that is outdated so who knows.

Guest eliza.d

thanks, lizzie, i was wondering about crete. was thinking about marten, schneider, jb hunt, and a fe others. i was hoping to run regional or dedicated, so i could be home for my appts and meetings, and my wife.

it will be nice to get health insurance too, not know if it will be the kind that can help girls like us or not. though.

anyway thanks,

hugs,

Eliza

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Here's a new one: I actually had a nice conversation with a Canadian Customs officer about transitioning.

I was crossing at Thousand Islands (no dressing in sight, btw, so disappointed) and I handed him my two forms of ID. He looked at both and said "How do you two know each other?"

I said 'that's me in both'.

"Oh...quite a change".

"Yes, it's an on-going change."

"How long has it been going?"

"Umm..officially around 2000. But since then I lost a job and couldn't continue without healthcare."

"Healthcare covers the cost of it?"

"No, not all of it. It covers the hormones though but not the surgery."

"Well it's good they at least cover some of it."

..and this was a male customs officer I was talking to! US Customs officers aren't as friendly...

Guest eliza.d

you know, it seems canadians are more understanding. maybe im wrong, just seems that way.

any opp to educate the general public, i see as a major opp, and i jump on it.

hey lizzie, check your pm...ive been hoping youde answer a question for me.

thanks sister,

Eliza