• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Name Change

Guest Tommy

can i get my name leagaly changed to tommy before im 18 if my mom signs something?

Hello Tommy

My thoughts: as she is your legal guardian you and her both go to court system and fill out application for name change. then you need to put a notice in a local paper and then go to a hearing before the judge. the hearing before the judge will last about 5 mins. but this is what i gather happens in my state your state may be different.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Anhelanti

Name change laws vary from state to state, but this is how it went for me in Illinois.

I went to the website for my local Circuit Clerk, where there where .pdfs of all the necessary forms. If both your parents are in agreement with your decision to change your name (mine were) then they just need to fill out two sets of forms - The Petition of Name change, and the Order of name change (these may be called something a little different in your state) - sign them and get they're signatures notarized, and take the forms to the Circuit Clerk at your local courthouse. Then you have to pay to file the petition, the cost of which varies greatly. I paid $236. At that time you will be asked to chose a court date, which can be any day, but will be first thing in the morning. As a minor, if both parents are in compliance, you don't even need to post your petition in the newspaper. Then the three of you show up on the day, and bring the petition to the judge. I believe that both parents do have to be present at court, along with the minor. My dad had to leave town during the first date we scheduled, and we ended up having to set a new date. Once at court, our judge didn't even ask us why I was changing my name, she just proclaimed the change and signed the Order of Name Change. It took about 2 minutes.

Now, if you're just doing this with your mom, then there's a few things that will be different. As far as I know, if your parents are divorced, and they both have custody of you, then you'll need to notify your father of the desired change, and post it in the newspaper. In my area, there's two different forms for that, depending on whether the whereabouts of the father (or in some cases, mother, I'd assume) is known or not. I think it's simpler if the parent you're living with has sole custody, but they may still have to inform the other parent. I'm not entirely sure what happens if one parent is not in agreement on the name change.

So, basically, the answer is most likely yes (depending on your state). It's just a matter of parental consent, money, and time.

Good luck,

Nate

Guest angie
can i get my name leagaly changed to tommy before im 18 if my mom signs something?

I really don't see why not Tommy.

As long as you have everything in order,not asking for gender marker change,I don't think

it should be any big deal.Changing name is relatively easy,you won't even need a lawyer.

Plus it is wonderful to take on the name to reflect who you truly are.

Good Luck,

Angie

Guest Martin

I did a google search and found this http://www.ukdps.co.uk/AdviceForTranssexuals.html page. According to it, no, you don't have to go in front of a judge. If you google some more, maybe you'll find a way to do it without going through that company, but I'm not sure. I've never been in the UK.

By the way, not everyone in the U.S. has to go in front of a judge either. I've changed my name twice in Colorado, and I never had to talk to a judge. I did have to go through the court system, though.

Guest Joanna Phipps
I did a google search and found this http://www.ukdps.co.uk/AdviceForTranssexuals.html page. According to it, no, you don't have to go in front of a judge. If you google some more, maybe you'll find a way to do it without going through that company, but I'm not sure. I've never been in the UK.

By the way, not everyone in the U.S. has to go in front of a judge either. I've changed my name twice in Colorado, and I never had to talk to a judge. I did have to go through the court system, though.

Here in New Mexico, it does take both a court appearance and posting in the newspaper. However those are formalities, the process costs somewhere around 200$ and takes two weeks. The time is only bc the posting for one day in each of two consecutive weeks (wonder if I could do sunday and monday :) ).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 135 Guests (See full list)

• Jet McCartney
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Thea
    • FelixThePickleMan
    • April Marie
    • EasyE
    • DonkeySocks
    • Abigail Genevieve
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Aleksandria
    Newest Member
    Aleksandria

1. Aelia
      Aelia
      (22 years old)
    2. Just-Jenny-finally
      Just-Jenny-finally
      (65 years old)
    3. KelcieK
      KelcieK
      (50 years old)
    4. Krimson Kya
      Krimson Kya
      (35 years old)
    5. Robin
      Robin
      (56 years old)
    • Jet McCartney
      I'm ftm but I still wear makeup on occasion to cover up my rosacea. Just primer and sunscreen usually. Sometimes I'll fill in my eyebrows too
    • DonkeySocks
      I think some of "them" are just us. If I log out, I might come in and putter around the forums for a minute before I commit to logging in and reading or participating. That probably shows as a guest visit.
    • DonkeySocks
      I have the Pierre by New York Toy Collective, I think I bought it from a different online store but it is that brand. The size recommendations will say that the four-inch shaft (the small Pierre) is for people 5' tall and under. I am 5'8" and it is fine for me. The larger (regular) Pierre shaft size is way too big to wear regularly, but it is a great packer to have around for gender affirming play at home. So even if you are taller than 5', if you aren't sure and you want something easy to wear, go with the small. It is a silicone packer.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Yes, resilient, for sure.  Ours were elementary/middle school age when their father died.  The girl took it really hard, losing her father.  My husband has been there as friend, counselor, and stepfather.  He was a dear friend of their father, and he has put in a lot of effort to raise them.  The eldest son is now his secretary, aide, and driver at work.   Since I'm young-ish and not their primary parent(s), I have the role of being an older friend to them.  They don't seem to have any issues with my gender.  I'm just Jen, and everybody knows that Jen is a little different.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      If you're looking for a millennial female who might be interested, maybe contact Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? Y'all might have some things in common, and I think she and her partner are doing the "childless" thing.      Interesting that your wife did concrete work.  My GF spent some time laying concrete for her own projects....while 6 months pregnant.   She's a very stubborn girl.  Probably the exact opposite of the millennial female you're looking for, since she's a mother of 5 (and wished she could have more.)  Interesting how folks can have similar origins, but come to opposite conclusions.  My GF grew up in dire poverty, stealing to eat and take care of her little sister.  As a young adult, she spent several years living in a commune, and was a member of an armed communist political movement.  Now she's probably the most fervent anti-leftist, anti-government person you could ever find.  Experiences really shape who we are.    The lesson I draw from this is that globalism is not the right solution, and even the USA is too large a nation for everybody to agree.  Time to downsize voluntarily, before a civil war does it for us.  Some folks suggest that the USA could become between 4 and 7 different nations.  The way the world is going, I suspect you'll get your "depopulation" wish....but it will come about through war, plagues, and famine. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I made apple pies, since we have apple trees here.  A classic, simple recipe, everything made from scratch.  We can make just about any kind of pie here - pecan, apple, pear, peach, blackberry....    I think the 6-burner stove came from an old diner.  So, technically a restaurant stove, just a small one.  It probably came from an auction, as my partner usually has an eye for deals.    This stove has 8 burners:   https://www.lowes.com/pd/FORNO-48-in-4-32-cu-ft-2-26-cu-ft-Steam-cleaning-Double-Oven-Convection-Gas-Range-Stainless-steel/1003096398?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-app-_-ggl-_-PLA_APP_186_Cooking-_-1003096398-_-online-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286890&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj86BiPj3hQMVeTbUAR2m5wexEAQYASABEgI9tvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds   This one is the one I would love to have...it has 10:   https://www.lowes.com/pd/FORNO-Galiano-Gold-Professional-60-inch-Freestanding-Gas-Range/5013821825?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-app-_-ggl-_-PLA_APP_186_Cooking-_-5013821825-_-online-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286890&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj86BiPj3hQMVeTbUAR2m5wexEAQYDSABEgIt__D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    • missyjo
      69 years young dear  winks it's just a number..   transcend it n be fabulous  hugs
    • Lydia_R
    • Lydia_R
      Not to bump this up or anything, but I just want to put one more note on the end of this...   Thank you for allowing me to post this here and thank you for all who have responded.  This step has been a huge help to me on my political journey.  I've made several key decisions in the last few days that allow me to run a better campaign for the next 4 years.  I worked my way off of the streets 20 years ago by writing math and computer programming on paper.  10 years later I was able to buy a house with the software engineering work that I was doing.  Now 20 years after getting off of the streets and having two failed bids for US Representative and likely another failed bid in the next couple weeks, I've come to the point of selling my house to run a very frugal campaign for vice-president (it's a thing even though it is an appointed position) for the next 4 years, all on the money I have earned from that work I did on the streets.   My policy going forward is that I'm not going to ask for money and I'm not going to ask for people's votes.  The vice-presidency is an appointed position.  I'm also not going to run for legislative offices anymore.  I'm simply going to tour the country on my own dime looking for good people and a strong millennial female who sees my logic and would like to be president.   I have reached out to tens of thousands of people on my own dime in the last 7 years.  Famous people, ultra-famous people, business leaders, civil engineers, random people, news people, educators, unions, politicians.  I certainly got less than 5 emails from those efforts.  Actually, I only really remember one person.  He is an educator and we had a good Zoom meeting.   I'm not bitter.  I'm not complaining.  Those of you who have followed me on this site know I like to keep things positive and talk about cooking and living healthy.  I hope that this post doesn't get buried.  I think the title is strong and my message is clear.  I don't want to bog this site down with the details of the whole thing.  I simply want people to know that there is a transwoman working to be vice-president.  Notice that I didn't title this a-transwoman-as-us-respresentative.  My politics are executive level.  I'm a whistleblower, not a complainer.  I aim to educate and inspire.
    • MaryEllen
      Photos posted in the general forums are visible to anyone or anything. Photos in the gallery are visible only to members. non members cannot see them.
    • Betty K
      You’re welcome, Vidanjali. Now I have to actually start writing!
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Society is preserved by passing on proper roles for people, which works for the 90+ percent that it works for.   We were all taught from an early age that breaking out of the classification was a shameful thing, even when, actually, it is not. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I'm probably showing my age.  I haven't looked at a guest count in a long time.  Doing FB and staying off forums for a while.  Previous forum use had fewer bots if any and guests were actual people, mostly, unlike today.    Any AIs or bots struggling with GD are welcome.  I would love to read your introduction.
    • kristinabee
      I've seen this on a lot of forums tbh. That's how a lot of content ends up on internet archives. You've got loads of bots scanning the site at all times and archiving it. Forums are actually nice (in comparison to social media) in that the guest count gives you a pretty good idea of how actively the site's content is being archived. Basically just don't post anything you don't want archived.
    • MAN8791
      Kids are resiliant with therapy and strong support ;-)    They were all elementary age when their dad died and are teens now, and how they've grown and developed as young people, already, takes my breath away.   I'm working on communicating changes clearly and without shame, which is difficult basically all the time because of feeling guilty over doing gender "wrong" for so long. Working on that myself! <3 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.