• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Next Two Weeks Are Maybe the Biggest of My Life

JenniferB

I have a funny insight into this issue. My day job has single bathrooms so it is not an issue, but the hospital has public restrooms. The lab personnel all use one of the closer bathrooms and I did not want to make them uncomfortable so I asked if there was a bathroom that was not in the "public" areas. I was told to use the bathroom near the CEO's office. It's a single. It's a long walk and I'm away from my post for a long time, but everybody understands and is comfortable with it.

This was NOT an issue I needed or wanted to fight. It's 10 minutes of my day and I work with them for 9 hours. If I make them uncomfortable for 10 minutes the rest of the day will be really bad.

Jen, use whatever bathroom you have to, even if it's in another building. Truth is you do have a penis and it will make girls uncomfortable, no matter how female you feel. Life is life.

I wish you the best of luck.

BTW. I had a day off and got all dolled up and went to my office to say hi to everyone. I let them meet me before they had to work with me. It seemed a little easier to come to work once they had already had the initial shock. Yes, it's a shock. No matter if they know or not. Seeing you for the first time is shocking.

(Jen)