• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

To College Suitemates

Guest Damond

Guest Damond

So I got my assignment for college; I'm in a suite so that I can get a private bathroom. I get the single room half of the suite, and share the bathroom with a double room. I started e-mailing one of my suitemates last night. As I am biologically female, I do have to room with girls. I don't think it really bothers me since our rooms aren't attached.

Last night I was talking to one of them (they are twins, so I bet information travels) and asked about how LGBT open minded she was. She said she was open minded, but not super open minded.

So I just replied and told her about being trans:

"So probably better to get around to this sooner than later, but I'm also transgendered. I'm biologically female, but feel that I am male. I am in counseling for it but haven't started much of the transition yet. Thats the general run down of it for me. The fact that I feel I am male is my sexual identity which is different from my sexuality. I am interested in men as it is unrelated and unaffected by my gender identity. So yeah .-. I have a deviant art and facebook, and both state that I am male. If you have any more questions you can ask me. If you have any problems with it, please let me know..."

that's what I told her (as I had held off on telling her my FB and DA because they both state male). So that was a few minutes ago, and am waiting for a reply .-. hopefully should have one by this evening.

Maybe she's not out at pride parades screaming for rights, but hopefully she's at least accepting by her calling herself "open minded" ... though she doesn't know about her sister, who has still yet to reply to my initial introduction email.

I bet that it'll travel between them about being trans so we'll see how this goes.

WIsh me luck .-.

*hides in a corner for the next few hours*

Guest Damond

So didn't go well :(

The reply I got was: "I just wanted to thank you for being upfront. We really appreciate your honesty. However, we want to be honest with the situation too and we are not comfortable with this, we think it would be best for everyone if you found different suitemates who are more comfortable. It is easier for one person to find a new room rather than two people trying to find one. We wish you the best of luck!"

...so now I've e-mailed the director of housing. we'll see if I get switched or not since its not a hostile situation (yet, maybe) or anything like that. But... damn. If I do have to move, it's going to be hard to find another single room with a private bathroom :/

Guest Krisina

Well you were being open and hones about yourself. Open about your gender identity, being ftm and your sexual identity being a man attracted to men. I don't know if your housing at college is coed housing or female and male housing but I'm sure something can be worked out. If you have any problems speak to someone at the college GLBT support group. Who knows, maybe someone from there is looking for a roommate :)

Krisina