• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Innocents Abroad - My Trans-Atlantic Adventure

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Dear friends: when I came out to my wife, one of the promises I made to her was that I would do everything in my power to ensure that our lives would not be turned upside down, that we would do all the things we had dreamed of doing, and that we could stay together and still be happy. We love to travel, and we had long dreamed of seeing the U.K. So we skipped a big vacation last year, pulled together some funds, put a bunch of things on credit cards, and two weeks ago headed off across the sea for a motor coach tour of England, Scotland and Wales.

We loved the U.K,, and found the countryside beautiful, the people friendly and hospitable, the historic places all that we had read about, and the cities exciting, interesting, cosmopolitan, and historic. When you come from a place whose oldest buildings are about 150 years old, and are told that the newer buildings in Edinburgh are 200 years old, you can't help but be impressed. I've never seen so much green, so many open hills, so many sweeping vistas, and yes, so many sheep! LOL!

Anyway, so much for the travelogue. You want to hear about my personal adventures, right? We had a few, yes, but all my fears turned out to be unfounded. We spent almost two weeks in close company with strangers, from Australia, New Zealand, India, Canada and the U.S. While personalities differed, all were kind, considerate and friendly. Of course the relationships between me, my S/O and my son came up in conversation, but Jason identified us as his parents, and my S/O and I identified ourselves as partners. No one pried any deeper than that, and if they had questions or doubts, not a single traveler mentioned it. I was treated at all times as a woman, referred to as Ms. ******** or Carolyn, and had many friendly conversations with everyone. I was completely at ease, and even in the village pubs and shops, I don't recall a single stare or frown, and I was not mis-gendered once in 16 days. :D So, yes, I suppose I pass pretty well. I have to admit, I saw quite a few women, especially in Scotland, who looked a lot like me, so I guess I fit in. :)

No problems with airport security, either. At Heathrow on the return trip, I was pulled aside twice for random inspections, given pat down searches (by female security personnel), and had no issues. They searched close to my groin area, which made me nervous, but never touched the "sensitive" areas or gave any indication they had doubts about me.

There were two funny things that happened. In Wales, we had a dinner and entertainment at a castle. I went off to the toilet during a break, and when I came back, the M.C. (a very funny bear of a man) had to make a comment about me interrupting his show, and nicknamed me the "nuisance." :lol: Of course, the next piece of entertainment involved a Welsh folk song, and required four "volunteers" from the audience. Yes, he "volunteered" me. :o So, in front of my fellow tourists, I had to mimic a dog panting. I was terrified for a few seconds that I would be asked to sing, so panting came as a relief. ;) I panted very well, and along with three others of our group, got a big applause.

The second incident happened in London. We stopped in at a Subway sandwich shop for lunch. It had been drizzling and the wind was howling, so I had pulled the hood of my jogging outfit over my head. Once inside, I flipped the hood off. A second later, my son and wife were staring in horror at me, saying that my wig was off! :o I looked around on the floor and was panic stricken that I couldn't find it, until they pointed out that it was still inside my hood. :P I plopped it back on my head, my wife got it fixed nice, and no one in the nearly empty shop seemed to notice. Whew! The funny thing is that the wind, which had been fierce at several stops on our trip, never threatened to remove it from my head. Only my own negligence did that. LOL!

So, the bottom line is this: fear is highly overrated, so don't let fear keep you from doing the things you dream of doing. Live the life you want to live, and enjoy it. The world is a wonderful place, most of the time, and people are kind, most of the time. If I can pull it off, so can you.

Love,

Carolyn Marie

p.s. pics to follow.

Welcome Home Carolyn!

So glad to hear you had such a wonderful time! I'm really jealous right now. I'd love to go to the UK!

Can't wait for pictures :) What other souvenirs did you bring us? :D

*Welcome home Hugs*

~Jade.

Good to have you back and even better that you had such a great trip.

I hope to one day travel again and see the world once more but this time letting the world see the real me - just like you did.

Love ya,

Sally

• Admin

318.jpg

At Caernarfon Castle in Wales. The most awesome castle I've ever seen, and yes, I climbed to the top of the tower. :D

Below: Stonehenge, a place I've always wanted to visit. It is extraordinary.

484.jpg

• Forum Moderator

You look great and have lived a dream i hope to live. Just need the wife to come along. We will be going to NY to gallery but can't travel with her problems(MS)

Hugs, Charlie

Guest otter-girl

Glad you had a great time. The weather this year in Scotland hasnt been very good on the whole. I hope you got one of the good patches. :)

Hugs

Rachel

Congratulations Carolyn on a wonderful trip. Europe this time of year (Early Summer) everything is so lush and green and beautiful. And the pubs mmmm????? What no mention. Seriously, getting through airport security without a hitch has to be slightly anxiety provoking, but it is becoming the norm, thank God. I'm envious Carolyn. No matter how manny times you visit, it is never enough. I traveled throughout Europe every chance I got while in the service. It was so sad that most of the guys in my unit barely made it out the front gate and we were in the middle of Europe, not the Sahara Desert. I have been to Canada and Mexico as well and I have my sights on visiting South America next. Who knows, maybe one day Australia and New Zealand. If you love people like I do, you like to meet people everywhere. Kathryn

• Admin

Glad you had a great time. The weather this year in Scotland hasnt been very good on the whole. I hope you got one of the good patches. :)

Hugs

Rachel

The weather wasn't bad, Rachel. A few brief showers. We adored Scotland, and my son says that Glen Coe is one of the most beautiful places he's ever seen. I would move to Edinburgh if I could, and if it wasn't so expensive.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome back! And, thank you for sharing!

I would have been uneasy too, so far out of my normal comfort zone. I'm glad that it went well and you could return home with an inspirational message!

Enjoy your memories of the trip...

Love, Megan

Guest Lacey Lynne

Made my day, Carolyn!

Heck, this is even better than today being the first day of SUMMER about which nobody is happier than I am!

If you're not already aware of it (which you very well may be), look up the esoteric history of Stonehenge. It'll blow you away. You were THERE!

Wow, what an AMAZING sojourn!

Congrats :thumbsup: Lacey

Guest Krisina

Carolyn Marie welcome back. I'm so happy you had a great time and you found people are very nice loving and accepting. You were seen as yourself and nothing more. Glad you only had to do the panting dog and not the singing. I would be so, put on the spot if that happened to me. Thanks for the stories and the lovely photos. I have been to Edinburgh, did you get there and the castle? It even has a pet cemetery even! Did they tell you any wild stories in Scotland about what haggis is? How about Wales, nice place, did you go through the Clwyds to Conway Castle? Beautiful countryside and lots of beautiful places to visit.

Krisina

• Admin

I have been to Edinburgh, did you get there and the castle?

Yes, we toured the castle and saw the Crown Jewels.

Did they tell you any wild stories in Scotland about what haggis is?

I ate haggis twice, and that's the best I can say about it. It made me long for Spam. ;)

How about Wales, nice place, did you go through the Clwyds to Conway Castle? Beautiful countryside and lots of beautiful places to visit.

Wales was lovely, but we didn' stop at Conway Castle.

Krisina

• Forum Moderator

So wonderful Carolyn!

I could not be happier for you

And I love the pics.

I'm not surprised it went so well. Your inner strength and inner beauty as a woman made that a given as far as I was concerned. Glad it turned out to be so.

Even with the minor blip with the wig

Hugs

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

Welcome back home. I missed you and your smiling face; not to mention your posts. Very happy that everything went so well and that you truly had a "family vacation".

Mike

Guest CariadsCarrot

I'm glad you had such a lovely and successful trip Carolyn. I wish I'd known you were going to be so near us!

I'm glad to hear you experienced some of our best British summertime weather...wind...drizzle...yep that's a good summer here lol

Gabe

Guest Krisina

I have been to Edinburgh, did you get there and the castle?

Yes, we toured the castle and saw the Crown Jewels.

Krisina

Hmmm Crown Jewels in Edinburg, I don't remember them. I do remember seeing the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London, along with Beefeaters.

Krisina

• Admin

The Scots have their own Crown Jewels, Krisina. They are rather proud of that fact, as well their own culture and history. Scottish pride is awesome :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest otter-girl

Carolyn, Glencoe is an amazingly wild place. Haggis is an aquired taste which I never really aquired, lol, although I can eat it. You have to catch it first ;) . Dont like Scotch Whiskey or football either. Guess I just had to be different! :)

Im heading south in a week or so and hope to visit Stonehenge. Mid summer has been more like January so Im praying for improvement.

Hugs

Rachel