• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Salads

Guest geek_girl

Guest geek_girl

hey everyone i got a quick question. alot of books i've read like south beach and atkins talk about salads with olive oil. is that just regular olive oil or is it someting special for salads? i'm thinking it just the stuff you see on the shelf by vegitable oil and such am i corret?

yup. just plain olive oil... make sure you get 'extra virgin' because the way it's processed doesn't denature the oil as much as other processing types. Another equally good option is canola oil. they're both high in oleic acid (basically gets metabolized into omega-3).

MK

Guest Kelly Ann

just a question here...isn't oil 'heavy' on the protein linkage? Wouldn't plain vinegar, white/cider/balsamic be better? forgettaboutit when it come to the commercial dressings/sour cream/cheese ect.LOL...I am TRYING to not be Kelly, the jelly belly, Ann.....OOoooOOOooOOH I KNOW I ate toooo much Thanksgiving :D

A food plan that is optimal for your health, well being, and weight management has 20-30% of total caloric intake from fats, and not more than a third of that from saturated fat. Very specific populations may have a specific dietary need that could make that percentage as low as 15% or as high as 35% (very advanced coronary artery disease, for example). If you cut your fats too low, your body will actually hang on to the fat stores you have and you won't be able to loose weight. So, fats are good in the appropriate quantities.

MK

• 9 months later...
Guest Joanna Phipps
yup. just plain olive oil... make sure you get 'extra virgin' because the way it's processed doesn't denature the oil as much as other processing types. Another equally good option is canola oil. they're both high in oleic acid (basically gets metabolized into omega-3).

MK

Extra virgin is the first pressing, it is done cold so the product doesnt get denatured. Subsequent pressings use heat to help extract the oil.

Guest Donna Jean

Ah, salads......

The number one food of the Gods!

Most work days I eat a salad for supper....that's it!

Lettuce, tomatoes, lots of onions, a little shredded cheese for fat and a lo-cal dressing!

I've gotten so that I love most every kind of veggie....

That makes eating right good for you and enjoyable, too!

Yummy........

Donna Jean

Guest AllisonD
Ah, salads......

The number one food of the Gods!

Most work days I eat a salad for supper....that's it!

Lettuce, tomatoes, lots of onions, a little shredded cheese for fat and a lo-cal dressing!

I've gotten so that I love most every kind of veggie....

That makes eating right good for you and enjoyable, too!

Yummy........

Donna Jean

I do the same, but add 4 oz of shredded or chopped protein. Chicken, pork, beef, salmon.... what ever I have, instead of the cheese. I have to watch my salt, and cheese has salt. It is my standard dinner.

Allison

I always wondered how anything could be extra virgin - I assumed that I after SRS I would be - a virgin in two sexes! :lol:

I do not at this time eat a lot of salads but when I do I take into account that for weight loss you have to watch the lo-fat dressings because many of them are just loaded with sugars and calories - don't avoid them because some sugars are necessary but do go a little lighter on them.

I used to eat at an all you could eat salad place and I would just laugh to myself when I would see people as big as I am or even bigger loading up their plates with nice healthy salads all set to lose weight - well not with the amounts of cheese, meats and the three ladle fulls of the dressing - usually Thousand Island - never noted for being low fat.

Then they had a baked potato bar - great for weight lose if eaten with just a touch of butter - however when toppings are added like sour cream, cheese, bacon bits - skip the chives (their cutting back and they already have a salad) each one in equal weight to the potato - they could have eaten a large pepperoni pizza and been no worse off calorie and maybe even fat wise.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
I do the same, but add 4 oz of shredded or chopped protein. Chicken, pork, beef, salmon.... what ever I have, instead of the cheese. I have to watch my salt, and cheese has salt. It is my standard dinner.

Allison

Yes, Allison....I like to add some meat if I have something at hand....

My very favorite is chicken.....

Of course, all of a sudden, this makes my salad become a thing of intrest to "Riley the Wonder Dog!"........!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Extra virgin is the first pressing, it is done cold so the product doesnt get denatured. Subsequent pressings use heat to help extract the oil.

sound like plan! :lol:

this is fully true,another kind will be unhealthy

thanks,,

here at this country there are many kinds of olive oil,,

always first-cold is the only healthy another will be harmful for long use,,

for diet no use for anything including fat,sugar, at dinner time before sleeping

that may work at day time,,

if you taking hard diet,,you need honey to asking Doctors

about

extra stress tabs with Zink or you will losing your hair,,and skin brightness,,may more for long diet,, :o

love

Huggs

Bul...

• 1 month later...
hey everyone i got a quick question. alot of books i've read like south beach and atkins talk about salads with olive oil. is that just regular olive oil or is it someting special for salads? i'm thinking it just the stuff you see on the shelf by vegitable oil and such am i corret?

Hiya hun,

Extra virgin (no, really) olive oil is the way to go. Good for you too .

Luv, Viv.

• 6 months later...
Guest Miss_Construe

I think that would be more up to taste. Although I do here some buzz about the extra virgin olive oil. I have to admit I like vinagrettes a little too much though.