• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Would low cost/free SRS change your plans for SRS?

Just curious about this.

Some very definitely want SRS.

Others don't want SRS or don't feel a strong need.

Nowdays more insurance companies are paying for SRS so cost can be significantly reduced or eliminated for SRS.

Assuming you could save the money for SRS (lets assume $24,000) would you opt for SRS at that price and pay out of pocket?

If answer to above is no, would you opt for SRS if it were essentially free? If the first answer were no and second answer were yes, at what price would it not be worth it?

And another question. Assuming SRS were covered by insurance and insurance offered to pay for SRS (surgeon of your choice) or offered you cash instead (that could not be used for SRS) would you have SRS or would you take the cash?

So many options, I'll give it a try.

Just curious about this.

Some very definitely want SRS. Yes, I would love to have it.

Others don't want SRS or don't feel a strong need. If I cannot have it I will survive - not important enough to kill myself over it.

Nowdays more insurance companies are paying for SRS so cost can be significantly reduced or eliminated for SRS.

Assuming you could save the money for SRS (lets assume $24,000) would you opt for SRS at that price and pay out of pocket? I would do it if I could manage the money but that is doubtful in my current position and past financial history does not indicate any major changes in that.

If answer to above is no, would you opt for SRS if it were essentially free? If the first answer were no and second answer were yes, at what price would it not be worth it? Anything over about $5,000 would rule it out for me.

And another question. Assuming SRS were covered by insurance and insurance offered to pay for SRS (surgeon of your choice) or offered you cash instead (that could not be used for SRS) would you have SRS or would you take the cash? I would take the SRS, I want it more and besides money and I have never been on speaking terms.

Interesting series of questions, I hope everyone takes the time to think about them and answer truthfully - it might be very enlightening.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest composercookie

Just curious about this.

Assuming you could save the money for SRS (lets assume $24,000) would you opt for SRS at that price and pay out of pocket?

If answer to above is no, would you opt for SRS if it were essentially free? If the first answer were no and second answer were yes, at what price would it not be worth it?

And another question. Assuming SRS were covered by insurance and insurance offered to pay for SRS (surgeon of your choice) or offered you cash instead (that could not be used for SRS) would you have SRS or would you take the cash?

If i remember correctly, the cost of SRS at maximum is $10000? Most of the time in my head i was thinking it would cost around $6500

And whether it expensive or not, IM GONNA DO IT.

Guest *Brooke*

I guess my answer is pretty simple, I'll be getting SRS eventually, whether I have to pay completely out of pocket, or with insurance covering part or all of the cost. It's something I feel very strongly about, as far as me needing/wanting it. But it does sound as though my insurance is pretty good, as far as I've heard, so they may cover at least a portion of it, whenever I opt to go ahead on it, even though it'll be a couple years at least, before I am able to do so. Will start HRT next month.

• Admin

I am submitting a loan application for refinancing my house that includes my SRS money in it. Thats one advantage of being my age, and having put up with my male life to the extent I did without killing myself. There is a chance that between now and my reservation date (for which I made an out of pocket deposit) that my insurance may cover some of the SRS hospital costs for the aftercare by my date, or leave me with a co-pay even for the surgery that will be less than I have reserved in my loan. My kids just won't be able to get as much for my corpse for a few years, but thats their look see.

Guest spunky monkey

Just curious about this.

Some very definitely want SRS...... I definitely want SRS because it will bring my mental image of how my body should look better

Others don't want SRS or don't feel a strong need.....i need SRS as much as i need too eat and breath

Nowdays more insurance companies are paying for SRS so cost can be significantly reduced or eliminated for SRS.in

in Australia the government pays half and your health provider the other half you may have to pay a gap of between nothing and 1500 dollars

yes i would, we dont mind paying 40k for a new car, why not something that will bring more joy than a stupid car

as long as i keep my health insurance going im fine, i don't have a date yet but i need too tick a few boxes first

ummm........YES !!!!

love Rachelle

PS......UNICORNS RULE.....DOWN WITH PONIES LOL

Just curious about this.

Some very definitely want SRS. Yep that's me. Always wanted my body right, even when i didnt know if there was such a thing. of course its not perfect, but its a comprimise benween what i want, and what i can have, of course.

Others don't want SRS or don't feel a strong need. of course, other people might have different needs. Im not them and theyre not me.

Note you dont mention what SRS is, the whole process of a multiple of things, or simply one of the many surgeries. I'm going to guess and make a stab at what you mean specificly. Sounds like you mean Genital surgery of some kind. that also varies. theres various methods even for MTFs. I dont think you mean to get into those details, just a general generic answer. Being FTM in my perspecive t opens alot of optional issues and questions too. But i'll stick with the generic answer.

In my case, insurance has paid for all my surgeries and doctors. it didnt help with the extra expenses, like travel, or name change etc.

I can't save the money for SRS, regardless the amount, so this is kind of not applicable. (lot of details to that.) But be aware SRS prices vary a lot, partly depending what you define as SRS exactly, and where you get it done. Its cheaper to get something done in some far away island sometimes, as an example, but the travel expense might make up for the difference. Some FTM bottom surgery is actually several surgeries taking over at least a year to complete, and cost $100,000 and more. Some people have paid out of pocket for it at that price. If i had the money I would hope to not spend quite so much if i could, but still would want the best SRS i could get done. you dont want to have to go back for more work to be done later (or corrections) if you can avoid it.

SRS is not a convenience or a cosmetic option. Money would be no object if I'd ever possibly have the money and i wont. unless i robbed a bank or won a lottery, i have no idea how id ever get cash for it. Robbing a bank doesn seem to be the kind of thing I'd be capable of so forget that idea. These days I'm disabled and not healthy, so not alot of options.

Makes me feel as helpless as i did when i was a child, waiting for God to do something, or to wake up from the bad dream, whatever it is.

If those things were as simple and uncomplicated as that quesions implies, I would of course opt for the surgery.

I fail to understand anyone who is "transsexual" who wouldnt, and opt for the money. if money could were my problem i wouldnt be transsexual, id be..just money-hungry and thats it. (How much money would a regular guy take in exchange for his genitals?)

My problem is I was born a normal boy but my body was not a that of a normal boy. If i were simply born a boy, my entire life would have been estremely normal.

Funny how one glitch in the program can really mess things up sometimes.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

If insurance covered it and I had my choice of doctor, I'd do it. I'd also be really particular about making sure I'm reading the wording of that very carefully and making sure I'm doing it all by the book so I don't get sticker shock a few weeks later. Even if they paid part of it, I'd do it after I found out how much they pay and what is/what isn't covered.

Hi Drea,

I will be selling my soul to get SRS. If the cost were reduced, I'd have to deal with insurance companies instead of the devil. Don't know which is worse, but that's a discussion for another place.

My answer is simple: however it's done, whatever it takes, it will be a done deal.

Love, Megan

Guest JennX

I'm having SRS next year and I'm paying for it 100% out of my pocket.

One big issue you are missing is the fact that most of the top US surgeons (say out of the Big 4 so to speak) do not take insurance. The simply don't. You can pay out of pocket first, then submit a claim to your insurance provider, which may or may not be cover reimbursement. You won't find out until later. Only one of the Big 4 US SRS surgeons accepts insurance thru your job, and SRS will be covered upfront, if it is included in your plan (depending on the carrier and specifics). If it is a private or individual plan, you are out of luck. So even if it is covered in your plan thru work, you will be very limited to your choice of surgeons. I like making my own health care decisions personally. Especially for something this important.

Now if I could have insurance pay for my SRS and still get my pick of SRS surgeons... I'd definitely go for it. However I don't see that happening anytime soon. I was on the phone last week arguing with with reps from Blue Cross & Blue Shield that SRS IS a medically necessary procedure. They (and by they, I mean 2 different reps and a manger) all told me it was a cosmetic procedure. I got mad and hung up. If you go the insurance route, be prepared for some major bumps in the road.

Edited by Drea
one expression changed to conform with rules
Guest LizMarie

My understanding is that SRS (MtF) can run $20,000 to $30,000 total. I am less familiar with FtM costs. I believe Dr. McGinn in Pennsylvania has one of the lower prices in the United States, closer to the lower end of that range. But regardless, it's a lot of money for people to come up with.

If my insurance covered most or all SRS costs, I'd definitely do it. At least that is how I feel right now and how I expect to feel going forward. And while not many insurance programs cover SRS, the number is increasing slowly so it pays to check, especially as you get closer to actually deciding to undergo the procedure.

Guest Maria_B

Well, I may be a smarty pants here and answer; no my plans for SRS would not change, I'd still be having it :P

To answer more directly, yes I'd pay out of hand, yes I'd do it covered. I'd also take the surgeon of choice over the cold hard cash. As Sally said, Money and I are often butting heads.

Guest Sarinah

I am getting SRS eventually. The cost may determine when. I would like to get SRS as soon as I have put in my 2 years of RLE but I will be in my Doc program at that time so unless it is free thats not going to happen. After grad school I will save up and pay whatever it takes to get the best possible results.

-Evalyn

If answer to above is no, would you opt for SRS if it were essentially free? If the first answer were no and second answer were yes, at what price would it not be worth it? Anything over about $5,000 would rule it out for me.

In the question I was asking that one assume they were able to come up with the money so this question was more about making a worth / benefit tradeoff, not a question how much would one could likely save.

I have met people who have said something akin to "I really didn't have a strong needs for SRS, but my insurance covered it and since it cost little I chose to have it" or "I am not planning SRS, but if it was cheaper I might".

Note you dont mention what SRS is, the whole process of a multiple of things, or simply one of the many surgeries. I'm going to guess and make a stab at what you mean specificly. Sounds like you mean Genital surgery of some kind.

I posted in the MTF forum so the question was really addressed to MTF where SRS is pretty well understood to be genital surgery. The question was directed at MTF where the trade is clearer. As you pointed out FTM surgery is much more involed with many different procedures. There are some radically different options and it is less perfected than MTF surgery so the decision process for FTM tends to factor that in moreso than with MTF.

Thank you for contributing however.

If i remember correctly, the cost of SRS at maximum is $10000? Most of the time in my head i was thinking it would cost around $6500

$6,500 or any US surgeon cost for SRS under $10,000 would be prices circa 1995, possibly a bit earlier. The cost these days in the US is greater than $20K generally though there may be some surgeons with questionable reputations that are less. $24K is a reasonalbe expectation of cost I think. Dr Brassard in Montreal is down around $18K I think. Not sure where that $6,500 number came from. Maybe a lower cost surgeon and not counting hospital, anestsia and other incidentals but even then it seems low. One could get an orchi for $6,500 but I wasn't considering orchi as equivalent of SRS.

One big issue you are missing is the fact that most of the top US surgeons (say out of the Big 4 so to speak) do not take insurance.

It is a hypothetical question and as such practical items as mentioned are irrelevent. The hypothetical assumed you could have your choice of doctors.

I don't see that happening anytime soon. I was on the phone last week arguing with with reps from Blue Cross & Blue Shield that SRS IS a medically necessary procedure. They (and by they, I mean 2 different reps and a manger) all told me it was a cosmetic procedure.

Medical necessity is pretty much defined by whoever is paying and not the doctors. There been the medical necessity or experimental claim against SRS as long as I remember. One of the items supporting the assertion that it isn't medically necessary are those trans who choose not to have SRS that do okay. Evidently they are doing okay right? And if it comes down to a want, a choice, rather than a clear life and death need, it seems a resonable argument to say it isn't medically necessary.

Where the logic falls apart is that not everyone is the same. For some it may not be mecially necessary, while for others it is necessary. The "not medically necessary" claim has been challenged successfully in the courts on a case by case basis and it even has been known to be overcome with insurance companies under appeal if there is sufficient documentation indicating the need. Just what that is, I can't say, but I am pretty sure there needs to be some history supporting the assertion beyond the social presentation aspects.

Well, I may be a smarty pants here and answer; no my plans for SRS would not change, I'd still be having it :P

Mine wouldn't change either. I still would have no plans for SRS.

Guest jody h

to add to the original question what price is worth it well really whatever i could afford at the time. if i won the lottery tomorrow then id be down to the private clinic like a shot. id rather be anatomically female and poor than male and rich. just me, just know how i want my body :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I fail to understand anyone who is "transsexual" who wouldnt, and opt for the money.

Just to re-state, you mean you fail to understand why someone would take the money instead of having the surgery.

I would note again that the question is directed towards MTF. A MTF may prefer to have the money for a different surgieries such as FFS. Some consider that a higher priority that SRS.

I also seen some opt for getting a new car rather than persue having SRS.

For FTM again it gets more complicated however I do know of FTM who opt not to have bottom surgery due to the limitations of the existing procedures.

I certainly am not going to say that people who make such choises aren't transsexual. I just feel their needs and priorities are different than the needs and priorities of others.

Guest JennX

Medical necessity is pretty much defined by whoever is paying and not the doctors. There been the medical necessity or experimental claim against SRS as long as I remember. One of the items supporting the assertion that it isn't medically necessary are those trans who choose not to have SRS that do okay. Evidently they are doing okay right? And if it comes down to a want, a choice, rather than a clear life and death need, it seems a resonable argument to say it isn't medically necessary.

Where the logic falls apart is that not everyone is the same. For some it may not be mecially necessary, while for others it is necessary. The "not medically necessary" claim has been challenged successfully in the courts on a case by case basis and it even has been known to be overcome with insurance companies under appeal if there is sufficient documentation indicating the need. Just what that is, I can't say, but I am pretty sure there needs to be some history supporting the assertion beyond the social presentation aspects.

Not if you try to have insurance pay for SRS. Your insurance provider will absolutely want letters from either your psychotherapist and or doctor/endocrinologist to support "your claim" that SRS is medically necessary for you. I have such letters from 2 different PhD level psychotherapists and my endocrinologist and I'm still having big issues with even getting any sort of concrete info from my insurance company. They really don't want to have anything to do with it. They even refused to cover my HRT prescriptions, which they are supposed to as well. It's a joke.

Yes... I can appeal their decision, sue my provider, take them to court, blah, blah, blah... that all takes money, time, and effort. All of which I prefer to spend on other things. Like SRS for example.

Bottom line... some laws need to be changed and providers need to provide coverage if and when such procedures are deemed "medically necessary". IMHO.

i am dead set on getting it no matter the cost , a lower cost , would simply allow me to stop working my fingers to the bone to achieve it. but as i look into my empty savings account ( looks at all the cob webs) . insurance coverage , and covering the surgon of my choice at little to no cost me ? i would be all over that like white on rice.

I have suspected for a while now that the surgery is intentionally as expensive as it is. as a means of checking mosts resolve to get it. as i look at the employment landscape of transitioning trans people. the majority are under employed, under educated. if that . stuck in 25k a year jobs. out of those, the ones that do eventually afford it , practically live in poverty for x ammount of years to afford it and in that time many come to realize they are not cut out for it. either srs or transition.

i then read srs regret stories , the one thing that jumps out at me or i should say one of the common factors is. the ones that seem to regret the most. are those that had more than the funds to get in 1-2 years what takes most much longer to attain , able to by pass RLT and therapist and all the fail safes put in place to avoid making such a life altering mistake , enough money to get what they feel they wanted instead of getting the treatment they actually needed.

in the end if srs was much much cheaper. i don't know if it would be a god send or a detriment . i do feel there would be a spike in post op regret though.

Sakura

Guest Leah1026

Another smarty-pants here: I definitely don't want SRS (once was enough for me!)

I have suspected for a while now that the surgery is intentionally as expensive as it is. as a means of checking mosts resolve to get it.

I doubt that. Other medical costs have risen faster than the surgeon's fees. Of course part of SRS cost is are the facility and other costs such as anestesia which have been rising rapidly.

i then read srs regret stories , the one thing that jumps out at me or i should say one of the common factors is. the ones that seem to regret the most. are those that had more than the funds to get in 1-2 years what takes most much longer to attain , able to by pass RLT and therapist and all the fail safes put in place to avoid making such a life altering mistake , enough money to get what they feel they wanted instead of getting the treatment they actually needed.

There is no question that ease of access to SRS equates to higher rates of regret. Ease of access could be lower standards and requirements or ready availability of funds. Ease of access would also apply if insurance or national health system were to pay for SRS without there being tougher requirements to meet in order to get it paid for.

No question that the cost does tend to act as a motivation test.

Things such as RLE/RLT of a year are a very minimal standard to meet. Most of the folks I know who decided not to go on with transition and de-transition did so beyond a couple years RLE.

Just curious about this.

Assuming you could save the money for SRS (lets assume $24,000) would you opt for SRS at that price and pay out of pocket? Yes

Considering I tried do it yourself SRS at age 12 the first time, I believe I'll take a well trained experienced surgeon for my second chance at SRS. Beside's I could have foregone buying a new house and just got the surgery a couple months ago. But then I figured that I've gotten by this long by the skin of my teeth, I bought the house. Some night I may regret that decision. If I rent out a bedroom in my home at $6000 a year, in four years I have my surgery and my house. Subtract a year RLE and I'm 3 years or so down the road anyway. And I still have a cheap place to live in after retirement. And I'm also working on the Vice Chancelor to change our employee insurance to cover SRS like the student health insurance does. I'm trying to shame him with the fact that the students health insurance covers more than the employees who are also paying for their insurance. Time will tell. Kathryn

Edited by Drea
Position of closed quote moved to clarify quote from the comment
Guest KarenLyn

11 years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to have SRS paid for. I have enough saved now for SRS. I have other roadblocks now. I work for medical benefits to keep my husband covered. He has cancer and even though he's in remission, his health isn't anything like it was before chemo. I would lose his medical benefits if I took enough time off to have surgery and recover. So, SRS is on hold until I can arrange enough time and still keep him covered.

Guest ~Brenda~

Reducing the costs of transitioning to the point of free poses the same question if I were rich and could afford anything that I wanted. There comes a point where money is not the question. What is needed superficially to feel comfortable.

I find it interesting that FFS and other related surgeries is not discussed more. SRS is important, but SRS is only relevant if everything else is aligned. Mind, soul, and body must align cohesively to be whole. HRT, OK. SRS, OK. But what about everything else?

Costs are little of my concern. What really is effective is mine.

Brenda