• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Would low cost/free SRS change your plans for SRS?

Guest NatalieM

If every other requirement (RLE, hormones, etc) is met, THEN have it offered. Maybe increase the other requirements just so people aren't racing through it to get cheap SRS. This may seem harsh, but the ones who do regret it really can't blame the therapists, the doctors or anyone else for it because they had to convince the GT's that they were trans. The GT's were doing their jobs properly based on what these people were saying and doing. Though I guess you can't really know if you'll regret something until you've done it.

I for one have gone back and forth so many times on SRS (or even any amount of transition) and I still don't know. I guess I should go see one of those GT's soon.

Guest KimberlyF

I would pay the 24k. If insurance covers, great. If not, price isn't a deciding factor. It will add a bit more guilt to my load-could have given the money to my kids.

Although the question doesn't apply to me, money has never brought happiness, so getting 24k instead would do nothing to make me feel better about myself.

You see, I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece where I sipped champagne on a yacht. I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got. I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see. I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me.

J/K

I've never been to Greece. But the point is money has never lessened the discomfort in my life.

The question about taking the money is intended to ascertain if someone would use it for other things..such as FFS.

Maybe increase the other requirements just so people aren't racing through it to get cheap SRS.

Perhaps 5 years RLT then though this would probably favor those who are CD/clothing motivated.

Anyone who believes that a gender therapist will prevent them from making a mistake (such as having SRS when it isn't right for them) is putting their trust in the wrong person. Unless there is some serious pathology or the therapist observes some obvious confusion such as the client possibly mistaking being gay for being trans, a therapist likely won't stand in one's way if one has has otherwise done the things the standards state. A therapist can only help one explore themselves and it is up to the client to make decisions as to what is right for themselves.

Guest KimberlyF

Expanding on the GT comment, this is an interesting link:

http://www.hemingways.org/GIDinfo/therapy.htm

I may not agree with everything on the page, but great ending...

"Okay, this is going to seem like a rather strange thing to say, but the purpose of Gender Therapy is NOT to transition from one gender role to another. It is to relieve the dysphoria (the unhappiness and distress) the patient is experiencing, and help them to be comfortable with their social role, identity, and physiology. Some may only find that relief through transition and gender reassignment. Others may find that point of relief by some other means. If you transition and undergo surgery when it wasn't the right therapy for YOU, the end result may be you're even less happy than how you began. Ultimately, though, only YOU can make the decision, only YOU must take responsibility for your actions. But a qualified therapist can play a major role in guiding you to your personal happiness."

Caveat emptor.

And another question. Assuming SRS were covered by insurance and insurance offered to pay for SRS (surgeon of your choice) or offered you cash instead (that could not be used for SRS) would you have SRS or would you take the cash?

Considering I tried do it yourself SRS at age 12 the first time, I believe I'll take a well trained experienced surgeon for my second chance at SRS. Beside's I could have foregone buying a new house and just got the surgery a couple months ago. But then I figured that I've gotten by this long by the skin of my teeth, I bought the house. Some night I may regret that decision. If I rent out a bedroom in my home at $6000 a year, in four years I have my surgery and my house. Subtract a year RLE and I'm 3 years or so down the road anyway. And I still have a cheap place to live in after retirement. And I'm also working on the Vice Chancelor to change our employee insurance to cover SRS like the student health insurance does. I'm trying to shame him with the fact that the students health insurance covers more than the employees who are also paying for their insurance. Time will tell. Kathryn

No need to justify your choice. I think people understand the desire one may have for surgery. It was a question and not a challenge.

"Okay, this is going to seem like a rather strange thing to say, but the purpose of Gender Therapy is NOT to transition from one gender role to another. It is to relieve the dysphoria (the unhappiness and distress) the patient is experiencing, and help them to be comfortable with their social role, identity, and physiology. Some may only find that relief through transition and gender reassignment. Others may find that point of relief by some other means. If you transition and undergo surgery when it wasn't the right therapy for YOU, the end result may be you're even less happy than how you began. Ultimately, though, only YOU can make the decision, only YOU must take responsibility for your actions. But a qualified therapist can play a major role in guiding you to your personal happiness."

A very interesting Excerpt there Kimberly. I can't tell you how many times I seen people trying to decide of they are going to transition before seeing a therapist. Or out their problems in the context of "transition or not" and completely missing the point that there are options other than transition.

I seen statements often enough such as "transition is the only cure" or "therapy can't cure this" and while such statements have a certain truth from one narrow point of view, such statements ignore the fact that one can find means of achieving sufficent relief thru treatment that might involve just therapy, maybe part time living, maybe hormones, and other items or combination that aren't "transition". Thus such simplifications can be dangeruous and do disservice to the community.

I also find a few paragraphs up from the end of that link an interesting statment under "OBSESSION with Reassignment Surgery" where it states "There are people who become absolutely obsessed with having GRS/SRS, to the extent that they convince themselves that having it will somehow magically cause society to accept and treat them as their target gender.". I can't tell you how often I seen people express, in the way they talk or act, that they believe that SRS will solve their acceptance problems, their problems getting a job, or passing. Some even openly state such beliefs such as saying "my family will need to accept me when I have surgery". Then after they do have SRS they get depressed when they still have problems in these same areas.

Guest LizMarie

I recall someone else saying that "transition is between the ears" and I believe that to be true. The question then becomes what is needed to make the "between-the-ears" transition acceptable to you, personally. And as you note, Drea, what each person chooses to do can vary a lot. People say everyone's path is different and it really is, and some people may not need steps that others need to achieve acceptance of self. Because, in the end, what we are after the very most is to be at peace with and to accept ourselves, first and foremost. The things we do to reach that mental transition are what are important. Sometimes it will include things like GRS and sometimes it won't.

Guest Melissa~

About a decade ago I had a apendectomy, it itemized out at $22k. That makes SRS look like a bargain IMO, it's just whether insurance will cover it. Most hospitals hide their actual charges of course so people have no clue what their care is really costing.

Guest Cinnamon Girl

22k for an appendectomy????? Holy Toledo!' riot in the street' how do you people go about your lives??

Sincerely,

A Canadian

22k for an appendectomy????? Holy Toledo!' riot in the street' how do you people go about your lives??

Sincerely,

A Canadian

It isn't easy living in a country run entirely by rich people for rich people unless you happen to be among them.

National health care is a very big issue here but most of the people in charge are against it - they can afford health care and many of them made their fortunes from health care and pharmaceuticals.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Leah1026

About a decade ago I had a apendectomy, it itemized out at $22k. That makes SRS look like a bargain IMO, it's just whether insurance will cover it. Most hospitals hide their actual charges of course so people have no clue what their care is really costing.

Can you imagine what it would cost today?

Being a healthcare professional I have made this point many times and most trans people refuse to believe me, but it's true:

Because we pay cash up front SRS is a bargain compared to any other comparable surgery. Any surgery that keeps in the hospital for a week should cost at least double what we pay.

Because we pay cash up front SRS is a bargain compared to any other comparable surgery. Any surgery that keeps in the hospital for a week should cost at least double what we pay.

Yep it is.

Of course getting a handle on what the real price is for a medical procedure is a bit like reading tea leaves. Most out of pocket payors get billed costs that far exceed what an insurance company would ever pay as a "contract price" for a procedure. On the order of 5x the cost in some cases. Fortunatly, since SRS is typically not covered, the prices aren't so decoupled from reality.

One SRS surgeon has been known to bill insurance in excess of 40K for procedure that people paying out of pocket are billed 22K. In the end tho what insurance pays is comparable to what the out of pocket price is. It is just the game that is played and it probably can be done with insurance without penalty. Should the goverment start paying, that sort of practice might be viewed differently in a legal aspect.

Guest Bethontheharbor

I'm on permanent SSI for unexplained Syncope, so I can not work. I really want SRS but right now my partner and I are both non op, so I can live without it if I have to.It still just feels alien having "that thing" there.

I would gladly accept free SRS with two stipulations : 1. No media coverage(how could I blend after?).

and 2. The surgery would have to look good. I've seen some cheaper srs that looks like you have a mis-shapen ear between your legs or a arger anus in the front.. no thanks on that one.

• Forum Moderator

I'm not sure yet. The Dr is out. $ is not the issue. i'm older and have had major surgery. I don't like the idea of going through that again. but..... to be me even for awhile might be worth it. I'll live like this for awhile hopefully getting hrt or if its too risky augmentation surgery(fairly minor) . Then maybe if the heart holds out i'll move forward. He has been good to me and i love my children. I'd love to be fully a woman but this half way place may be where i learn to live.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest LuckyMe

I feel particularly lucky that I live in Montreal, a mere 20 minute drive from Dr. Brassard's hospital. From what I've understood, SRS will essentially be free for me as it's covered under the government's health care (still have to determine whether or not I'm disqualified because I have a private insurance at work, though).

So in my case, it would be a bit disingenuous to say I don't care what the cost is, since I'm most likely not going to pay it. I haven't even started therapy yet, but I already know this is the route I wish to take.

Personally, I make this decision and it will not change my mind to go see a therapist. I've been told by multiple people that the job of a GT (or any therapist) is to help you through your decisions, not to change your mind about anything. I gather, if I'm convinced enough that I still want to go through with it after seeing a video of an SRS being done, have browsed through the Post-Op forums and accepted that I may get a lot of the issues that people describe there, then I don't think any therapist could convince me otherwise.

Guest shadowghost21

If I had the money, I'd have the paper work signed tomorrow.

If it was free I'd be typing this from the recovery ward.