• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Resonance, Timber, And Pitch

Guest Evan_J

Ok, second to face....no take that back.....chest, then face, voice was a huge thing for me pre-t. I felt convinced that a lot of times it was the thing that blew it for me passing. I had had the experience of passing physically in person enough to feel that. And I NEVER got taken for a guy on the phone. After starting T and having my voice change a little bit I STILL wouldn't get "he'd" or "sir'd" on the phone even if I did in person. Right up until yesterday.

I had to call the gyno (don't comment, but it makes the story make sense that it was the gyno) and set an appt. When the nurse got on the phone, she said, "ok, and who would you like to set this appt for". I gave my name and asked when was the soonest I could come in. She said, "wait, this appt is for you?" "Yes". "For you?" "Yeeees". And right then I figured out "holy crap, she thinks I"m a geneticguy tryin to make a gyno appt :P " She passed me on to someone else who did the whole "and this appt is for you?" routine. A second time I got passed. On the third lady she asked me a bunch of "identifying questions" lol. and set the appointment. This was, bar none, the best freaking phone call I have had in my life. It made me ask the question though "what was different about this one?"

The only thing I can come up with is that my vocal cords were extremely relaxed. I read that the more they are the deeper it lets your resonance go. It was fairly early in the morning, and this same thing I read pointed out that the closer you are to the time you woke up often the more relaxed they are. Basiclly it was trying to instruct someone who wanted a more masculine voice how to relax them other times. It also said to slow down when speaking because that also plays a role.

My question is does anyone know any methods/tips for how to actually go about relaxing them other times/anytime to get this to

be the standard occurance?

Oh Evan,

I'm so happy for you! I wish that I could help you on the how to relax your vocal chords - for me that was never a problem. I, unfortunatly now have been a Baritone/bass from birth (only one in the first grade music class - scared my teachers at roll call on the first day) my voice nevre actually changed. Over the years I have been raising it a little becasue any one with a hearing problem could never understand me - now I'm taking it up another fifth.

The only tip that I can give you on relaxing anything is to concentrate on something else - if you think about relaxing your vocal cords you can be certain that they will tighten and your voice will go up! Concentrate on feeling your voice in your chest - when you do you will be so surprised at the sound you will get.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest RainBird

Hey Evan, that's awesome news, I'm very happy for you! :D

I would of loved to see the confused look on the Gyno's face hehe! :lol:

I possibly pass 50/50 in real life, I still never pass on the phone, but, I always correct the person if they confuse me as a male or call me 'sir'...

Gives me the irrates lol. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest slntcandy

lol. funny story. :D

Right now, for me, I press my index finger against the part of my throat that I want to speak from. The higher up I press the easier I am able to speak in a higher pitch. The lower I press, mid of collar bone area, the lower my pitch drops when speaking, even if I am trying to speak in a higher pitch.

• 4 months later...
Guest Neuro

It might sound stupid. BUT!

What helps for me is singing. Dramatic songs in a mans pitch, singing along with them. Pretend you're serenading someone beautiful.... XD it helps stretch the chords, and your tune will drop gradually. Being relaxed will help you keep the pitch into a more permanent speech.SINNNGGGG... It helps stretch, and give a great voice!!

My Japanese teacher told me "Your vocals are the best of the boy class" I said "Thank you." ...if you practice using male pich in a practice, monologue, reading out loud to your self. Practice songs that you relax with...................Sally said it perfectly.