• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Came Out at Work!

Guest Charlotte Mattier

Guest Charlotte Mattier

Okay, so this morning I decided that I was finally ready to come out at work. I emailed my boss during my Thermodynamics class, basically just telling him that I am transgender, if he hadn't already guessed based on my recent wardrobe changes, and prepared myself for whatever his response was. I didn't check my email again until about half an hour after class, while I was waiting for my appointment with my counselor at 11am, but when I did I was really surprised.

He sent me this huge email, that was just super supportive; telling me about resources he knew of on campus, offering to email everyone I worked with about the changes, updating my name in the servers at work, and just everything! I was really impressed. I got an email, after my boss told everyone for me, from one of the people I work with, and she was also really supportive, mentioning that one of her friends from middle school was also transgender and transitioned around the same age as me.

This was the next really big step in my little transition timeline, I almost can't believe that I am keeping up! Next week I'm planning on wearing a skirt on campus for the first time, as part of Coming Out Week! :D

Guest Chrissy6455

Congrats!!! I'm glad everything went well, I know that can be a very nerve racking thing to do, but I am very happy that it went well!

-Christina

Guest Julie_Mason

Wow! That is really awsome!

I also live in Ga, so I know the social climate here isnt always the most conducive for coming out (especially at work). Ive opted to not come out at my job (its a job, not a career), for a couple of reasons:

1) I work as a Security Officer and wear a standardized uniform, so the only changes would be the addition of a wig (my hair is still very short) and possibly some makeup.

2) Ill (hopefully) only be at this job for another few months anyway. I'll be going back to school at the beginning of the year and will have to get a part-time job somewhere else (plus Ill be able to start fresh as Julie at the new job).

Its just not worth the trouble and added drama/stress (I have enough of that already, lol), but thats just my opinion of my own unique situation.

Its really good to hear that you accomplished such a big step! It continues to give me strength, hearing such stories of successful endevors.

Take care, and Im wishing you the best of luck!

-Julie M. <3

Guest Charlotte Mattier

Thanks everyone! Went into work today for the first time as Charlotte, and everyone just acted like they usually do. Felt really good being able to just wear what I wanted without having to worry about it at all. :D

Wow! That is really awsome!

I also live in Ga, so I know the social climate here isnt always the most conducive for coming out (especially at work). Ive opted to not come out at my job (its a job, not a career), for a couple of reasons:

1) I work as a Security Officer and wear a standardized uniform, so the only changes would be the addition of a wig (my hair is still very short) and possibly some makeup.

2) Ill (hopefully) only be at this job for another few months anyway. I'll be going back to school at the beginning of the year and will have to get a part-time job somewhere else (plus Ill be able to start fresh as Julie at the new job).

Its just not worth the trouble and added drama/stress (I have enough of that already, lol), but thats just my opinion of my own unique situation.

Its really good to hear that you accomplished such a big step! It continues to give me strength, hearing such stories of successful endevors.

Take care, and Im wishing you the best of luck!

-Julie M. <3

Yeah, if I was still living with my family out in west Georgia, coming out, outside of my family, probably wouldn't have been the best idea. It's an entirely different climate here in the city though.

I went to Southern Comfort a few weeks ago, and actually learned there that a few faculty on campus had transitioned, so that really helped me in my decision to come out at work.

• Admin

Congrats, Charlotte. I'm very happy that things went so well. Transitioning on the job is such a crap shoot, its nice to hear an example of things working out. I wish you continued success.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...