• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Getting a job

Guest tmannick

Guest tmannick

Hello. I am 16 and trying to find a job. I have several applications, but I'm not sure if I should use my legal name and write out that I prefer "Nick" to be on my name tag, or if I should write out my legal name and say my name I prefer to be called in an interview, or if I should use my prefered name on the application and say my legal name in an interview, or something else entirely.

Also, I am not sure if I should circle male or female. I prefer to wear the male uniforms if the uniforms are gender variant, and I prefer to be considered a Mr. and be called male pronouns, but I am biologically female.

I am getting my first job. If you can't already tell, I live in Missouri. I am out to a lot of people. My parents accept me going by Nick and male pronouns, so I think it'll be OK for them if I say I'm Nick and I'm male, but should this be my legal name and sex or preferred name and gender?

• Forum Moderator

Nick,

I think you have to be as honest as you can especially if they are going to take taxes and the like. Your employer will have to know your legal name and gender. As far as how you are called and what uniform you wear, that's up to you to decide with your boss. It sounds like you have your parents support and that you are well out so do what you feel best for your self. It may be hard but honesty is important both for yourself and your boss.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Admin

I agree with Charlie, hon. Lots of supervisors and business owners who hire a lot of teens, know that some like to use nicknames. No guarantees, but telling them your name preference during or after the interview is your best bet. I wish you all the best.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

You will have to provide your Social Security number and legal name for tax purposes regardless. There's no way around that which doesn't involve committing a crime until you have a legal name change. So tell them your legal name and then tell them how you prefer to be called.

Guest walkindude

You have to put your legal name on the application, but there's often a space for your preferred nickname. If there isn't, you should bring it up at the interview.

As of last year, Social Security has done away with gender no-match letters. Meaning, if you marked M on your application but you were listed as F with Social Security, they would send the employer a message telling them the genders didn't match up. They don't do that anymore so that's one less thing to worry about. Since sex and gender are different, you could technically put M if they asked for your gender. It helps if your ID or license has an M on it--some states let you change that marker without requiring surgery, but you do need a note from a doctor saying you are taking steps to transition. Looks like in MO you need surgery, unfortunately.

If you're pre-T you should err on the side of caution. Explain things to your direct employers, and ask that they keep your birth details to themselves.

Guest Melissa~

Workplaces do generally accept prefered names, never tried a different gender though, it's a j.o.b. at your age. You need to use legal information on the application. Even if the j.o.b. goes down in flames you can simply leave a resume gap in your teens, no one will bat en eye.