• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out in The Next Couple Days

Guest Magical3

Guest Magical3

Not anticipated, as usual with life, I will be coming out very soon. I had very bad GD last week, and some this week, and my Mom knows something is up. This morning she was questioning me on what was wrong. I can't lie to her, I told there is something wrong, but I can't tell her now, and that it is not a bad thing. So I think between today and tomorrow I will write a letter, and put it somewhere to be found, as I leave for school. Very excited and nervous, but hopeful, because my Mom is upset that I don't trust her enough to tell her something, while really it is me who is not ready to talk yet. I know many have asked this, but I am panicking a bit, so what should I put in the letter? I will hopefully post the letter tonight for you guys to read. I will tell my Mom first then my Dad, because I think my Mom will be better. Thanks a bunch!

• Admin

Take a look at what some of the others have done here and use what you can or need to, and best of wishes it works out fine.

Guest Magical3

I know that you have had you suspicions that something was wrong for a little while. And there is. I can’t lie to you; I just needed some time to collect my thoughts, and to write this.

When you and others ask me why I want to be a biomedical/genetic engineer, I have always answered that I didn’t really know, that I found it interesting to bring concepts from the natural world to useable technology, and modifications. This in part was a lie. I do agree with this, but this is not my root cause of my interest. The truth is that I want to be able to help others like me, while I can’t prove this officially, I am transgender. I know this may be weird to you, just let it digest a little bit, don’t overflow, don’t explode.

What has been bothering these past couple of weeks is a strong case of gender dysphoria, a term used for when a person’s physical gender doesn’t match their internal gender. This has flared up in the past couple of weeks, and has led to some depression and distraction, but this is not a suicide note, I never have felt that suicide would ever help anything.

Now I don’t want to go fast here, I just need to start seeing a gender therapist, because I need to affirm being transgender, and to relieve some stress.

I know that you will think that you are responsible; you are not. And I know that you will think that you don’t know me; you still know me. I just have a discontinuity with my physical gender versus my actual internal gender. Scientists do not know the root cause of transgender, so it is not someone’s fault. And I am still the same person. Also you may believe this to be a phase; it is not a phase. I have felt a discontinuity with my gender since 7th-8th grade. It was a realization at first then in 8th grade I found out about transgender, and understood. Over the past couple years I have been able to submerge, to bury my gender dysphoria. But conversations and talks have only raised the dysphoria back up. Last Monday the 21st it peaked, and was very bad. Suddenly it fully entered my conscious mind, and that is why I have been so distracted lately.

I just really need to tell someone, to let all the pressure off of my chest, because it is building, and I can’t wait until I am 18 to independently see a therapist. I trust you greatly, and I hope that this doesn’t change our relationship, but I can’t continue holding in the truth, let alone living a lie.

I have been living partially in the dark for years, so please just let me be fully in the light.

This is a draft of my letter I just finished. I would love feedback! Thank you so much!

Guest Magical3

Well just came out to my Mom. She is understanding, but confused, saying she never saw any of this in me, and kind of convinced it may be a phase. I think there is some tension, just because we didn't have time to talk through it. I gave her the letter, because she was very worried, and just continued to push me. I did come out to her, but our conversation is just starting. I only came out because she said that she wouldn't tell anyone else, even my Dad. I just had to come out, she was so worried about me she couldn't work and sleep, and until we talk more I am going to be a wreck, but at least I have started the process! At least that feels good, otherwise I just have a ton of weight on my chest. I will have to wait until tomorrow to talk to her, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I am going to give her the PFLAG brochure, what other content should I give her? I would've been more planned, but I wasn't ready, and she wasn't ready either. TAKES A HUGE SIGH. Thanks!