• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Thrift Shop Hopping and the Support of Friends

Guest LizMarie

Guest LizMarie

This week two very dear and precious friends came in from out of state for a visit. Along with a couple here locally who have been very supportive of me, they are probably the four people closest to me right now because of their acceptance of me. Wednesday after work, I went to meet them as myself rather than in male mode. This was a first for all four of them. I had talked to them Tuesday evening after they had arrived but they were tired from the long drive and I was in male dress at that time.

At the end of the evening one of the women said, "Do you know how much happier, outgoing, and different you are when you let yourself be Liz instead of *****?" I was taken aback and asked "Is it that different? That obvious?" And all four resoundingly said interacting with me Wednesday evening was unlike any other time they've interacted with me in the past and that I was clearly happier and more at peace. I smiled, thanked them and headed home.

Now incidentally to all this, one of the out of state women is also a huge fan of thrift shops and she brought me 6 pairs of shoes, only one of which did not fit well. And one of those pairs are some really hot knee high boots!!

So the next day, Thursday, I showed up at my friends' house where they are staying, again as myself, and we chatted a bit, then they said let's do your makeup! So we did that and while I'm getting better I learned a few immediate lessons and learned that I can do an eyeliner with a dark eye shadow and a brush just as well as with an eyeliner pencil or liquid eyeliner. I also learned a little bit about "color theory" and realize now that I need a more yellow concealer stick for the dark under eye circles. That plus my foundation, covered them better than anything else I'd tried before! Once I was made up they decided we needed to go to lunch so we went to Whataburger since one of the women lives in a state where there are no Whataburgers and she wanted to try it. From there we went thrift shopping.

I came home with two bags of clothes and an entirely new wardrobe for $54. And more importantly, while shopping, the other women in the shop accepted me. I got one funny look from one man but two women who were trying on things in the adjacent dressing rooms had very flattering comments to me as I modeled various clothing items for my friends. We got back to the house around 7pm after a full day of shopping and being out and about and then spent a few more hours just talking together about everything from relatives to the current political races to work. Around 11pm we all broke up and I came home, floating on cloud nine. I'd spent an entire day as myself and largely been accepted.

My voice will remain a problem until I can do voice surgery because of that darned paralyzed vocal cord, but even there, my friends said my voice was passable enough (though they agreed it was barely so). And as HRT and electrolysis progresses, the physical aspects will continue to change in my favor.

My friends took some photos and as soon as I can get copies from them, I'll see if they are good enough to add here.

The support of loving and accepting friends is an amazing thing, especially when your immediate family is rejecting the real you. Yesterday was a magnificent and important day for me in my transition. I've still got a long way to go but I know that I can do this if I keep myself focused. I hope that each of you can find friends who will be there for you, accept you, and love you when you need it.

At the end of the evening one of the women said, "Do you know how much happier, outgoing, and different you are when you let yourself be Liz instead of *****?" I was taken aback and asked "Is it that different? That obvious?" And all four resoundingly said interacting with me Wednesday evening was unlike any other time they've interacted with me in the past and that I was clearly happier and more at peace. I smiled, thanked them and headed home.

Peace and happiness are wonderful things, we all deserve them.

Now incidentally to all this, one of the out of state women is also a huge fan of thrift shops and she brought me 6 pairs of shoes, only one of which did not fit well. And one of those pairs are some really hot knee high boots!!

Now I'm getting jealous!

I came home with two bags of clothes and an entirely new wardrobe for $54. And more importantly, while shopping, the other women in the shop accepted me. I got one funny look from one man but two women who were trying on things in the adjacent dressing rooms had very flattering comments to me as I modeled various clothing items for my friends. We got back to the house around 7pm after a full day of shopping and being out and about and then spent a few more hours just talking together about everything from relatives to the current political races to work. Around 11pm we all broke up and I came home, floating on cloud nine. I'd spent an entire day as myself and largely been accepted.

Now I need to claw your eyes out. lol

The support of loving and accepting friends is an amazing thing, especially when your immediate family is rejecting the real you. Yesterday was a magnificent and important day for me in my transition. I've still got a long way to go but I know that I can do this if I keep myself focused. I hope that each of you can find friends who will be there for you, accept you, and love you when you need it.

So true!

HUGGS,

Joann

Hey Liz,

What a great story :) Sounds like you had a wonderful time and a great experience.......and $54 at goodwill, was there anything left in the store when you were done? hehe :) Love goodwill. I had a similar experience not to long ago. I wrote about it in the "General forum" titled "Another mile stone" I wish now I had put it in this forum, would have been more fitting, oh well what can ya do? Basically I have been wanting to step out of my comfort zone of jeans and t-shirt, so I garbed my friend and headed to goodwill to see about buying my first skirt. She cemented on how happy I seemed and I was smiling the whole time I was picking them out and trying them on. Then a few days later headed outside for the first time. Seems interesting how something simple like the right cloths can make one giddy and happy to a point that people who know you see a huge difference.

Anyway, glad you had a great time :) (I wont tell you that I am jealous about all the cloths you got :) hehe)

Kattja

Guest LizMarie

Thrift stores rock! :)

What struck me most was that I apparently looked passable enough that no one bothered looking at me strangely or anything except the one guy. And the women and their friends using the adjacent dressing rooms to check clothes were all supportive as well.

And as a followup, I had dinner with a large group of friends on Friday evening but dressed in a very androgynous manner. About two thirds at the dinner knew but several did not so I went "male mode" and was as neutral as I could be. Anyway, as we all left the restaurant another friend who knows was behind me and said she saw me, then looked away for a moment and when she looked back she couldn't find me but she saw this woman in jeans walking out of the restaurant ahead of her. Then her head realized it was me. She grabbed me just as we went out the door and whispered to me so others wouldn't hear and I just smiled ear to ear and said "Thank you!"

I've begged for some pics that were taken but my friends are still traveling back home today so it may be another day or two before they send me whatever pics they took.

Yay! Having great friends is definitely the best thing in the world. Double that when they like thrift shopping. *cheers* for getting lost, brought a smile to my face so I'm sure it lifted you to cloud nine.

Guest Angelica Alice

If only I had friends like yours..... If I were female at the age I'am, I would already gotten my closet full of clothes. I would be a shopaholic!

Guest midnyteTX

Thrift stores Rock!!! A lot of my shopping I do at thrift stores and have been shopping both in femm and in boy mode, and never got any lucks. I love to hit the thrift stores around my area. The Goodwill is great on every third Weds of the month when they have 50% all used stuff.