• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

35 months HRT, 15 Months RLT

Guest Valerie

Guest Valerie

Hello;

I will appologize now for this long post, update. This is NOT a Rant. I am just trying to set the stage for what I had been going through mentally, physically and emotionally for the last several months.

Work had finally gotten to me. I was fed up with the discrimination that I was exposed to every single day for over 10 months. I had informed our legal office that I was at the end of my rope with all of this BS. I explained everything that had been happening for the last year, with my supervisors and my peers. I stated that I was going to be leaving my job over all of this. It had gotten to appoint that I had to spend an hour or so every single morning, trying to decide if I could take another day of this abuse. Needless to say that i had used up 320 hours of sick leave and 290 hours of annual leave during a 10 month period. I just could not handle the stress from work anymore, I was very depressed and my disphoria had kicked in big time. Our lawyer informed me that he did not want me to leave, that he would really like for me to stay. We setup a mediation meeting with my supervisors, that did not really go very well. However, they did realize that I was extremely upset and deeply hurt. The next step in the process after this meeting was that I am now free to file charges with the EEO the next time anything comes up.

I had already been accepted to a new position in a different area of this shipyard. It included a very nice pay raise and advancement up to a GS-13 position after one year. I had already maxed out my advancements in my current position. However, toward the end of September the Department of the Navy had cancelled that position, due to the position had been vacant for 11 months. I did not find this out until the middle of November, when i returned to work after being in Texas for 7 weeks taking care of my mother after her surgery. So, I am still in my old job.

The last week of September I received a phone call from my step-sister. She had asked me if I knew if there was any health problems with my mother. I told her no, not that I was awear of. She informed me that mother was in the ICU unit at a local hospital, in Texas, that she was adnitted after her left femeral artery started to hemerage when the doctors had inserted a cathiter into her leg. My sister said that mother was to be released on the Wednesday that week if the bleeding stopped. Mother was also booked with an appointment to see a heart surgeon the following Friday.I told my sister to call me as soon as they had found out what the doctor wanted to do. We found out that my mother was extremely lucky, if that had not caught her problem that she would of had a massive stroke sometime within the next couple of months. My mothers right Caratid Artery was 80% blocked, her right femeral artery was 100% blocked and her left femeral artery was 60% blocked. The doctor asked her when and NOT IF she wanted to schedule her surgery. She had a choice of the next Tuesday or the next Friday, she went with the Friday one. I flew home from Hawaii to Texas the next Wednesday.

The same time I was arriving at the airport in Houston, my uncle was driving in from Alabama. Now, I have not seen my uncle since November, 1990 at my grandmothers funeral. I think my mother had already informed him about my transition and that i was now living as a woman. Yes, as you can imagine my uncle was a little shocked, but he had taken it very well. He did use the wrong pronouns and name a few times. However, this really did not bother me as he has a bad habit of calling my mother his wifes name instead of her name. (That is kinda funny at times)

Mother had her surgery on the 5th of October and spent 2 days in the ICU unit and then was transferred to her private room, where she stayed for another two weeks. They cleaned out the blockage from her neck and replaced several sections of both femeral arteries with a synthetic material. They also discovered a couple of ruptured viens in her left leg, they did not bleed due to the blood had crystalized so they replaced those viens with more synthetic material. The hardest part for my mother was that she could not eat or drink anything for a week after her surgery. The nurses did cheat some, they allowed her to eat as much ice as she wanted. Now we did not mention this little bonus to the doctor.

After my mother was able to go home, both my uncle and i kept trying to get her to start walking around a little each day. Of coarse, she would have nothing to do with any of that. After several days of bugging her she finally started to give in and walk around the house some. However, I would not let her spend more then a few minutes in the kitchen, that was my domain for several weeks. I actually enjoyed doing all the cooking and my uncle and I rotated doing the dishes. It had been alot of years since I had done any actual cooking. I hate cooking just for myself, now I was cooking for the three of us. Although I did gain some weight while I was at home.

I had brought enough of my meds with me to last two weeks, needless to say I was in Texas for 7 weeks. I was able to have my Endo fax over my scripts so I could have them refilled. Boy was I shocked when I had them filled at Walmart, $400.00 a month I pay in Hawaii and I paid $285.00 for three months in Texas. Although I was not able to get my Estrogen and Progestrone shots while I was at home, but I survived that time without my shots. I did not even get upset or felt any change from not having those shots. Guess I am ready for the no hormone period when I have my SRS.

During my stay in Texas, my GT was traveling in California, then they went to New York and then to Europe, she would not be back to Hawaii until the 8th of December. So, much for having my SRS letter in time for my 50th birthday.

Okay, my mother is doing very well and she was able to start driving again during my last week in Texas. When ever we went somewhere I would ask her if she wanted to drive. Well, lets just say she would give me a dirty look, so I was still doing 90% of the driving and I was enjoying it.

15 November, back in Hawaii.

Went back to work on the 20th of Novmeber. I was feeling alot better, my stress, depression and my anxiety was gone. I guess I had relaxed enough while I was at home, that I felt good about myself again and was ready for the detractors at work. Things were going good when I received a phone call last Saturday from my GT. She was back and was wondering if I could meet with her. I said yes, that I would love to meet. We set the appointment for the 12th. We met and had been talking for about 30 minutes when my Endo and another person walked into the office. I looked at them and then back at my GT and she says, yes we are going to do your screening as well. The four of us talked, mostly I explained what I have been doing for the last 15 months. When I changed my name, when I stared my RLT, etc. After 2 and a half hours they had only two things to say to me.

1. Get with my GT when she gets back from her next trip to California and take my Apptitude Test

2. Schedule my SRS surgery.

So, lastnight I sent an email to the Preecha Asthetic Institute in Bankock, Thialand. I was asking to schedule my SRS and some FFS for the month of July, 2013. I have been bouncing around all day checking my email about every hour waiting for their reply.

I may have missed my goal of having my SRS letter as a present to myself for my 50th birthday, but it still makes a very nice Christmas present.

So, this is what I have been up to for the last several months.

/Love

Valerie

Guest angels wings

Wow you have been a busy lady . I'm so glad your mum is doing much better . That would have been so scary . You have a lot to look forward to lovey . Thank you for sharing (((((hugs)))))))

Angel :)

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for sharing all your adventures. You have been a busy girl. I'm jealous that you only 50.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Paradox

You've had a busy time! Here in Houston with cardio, I am going to guess St Luke's since they are best in the state for that and about 4th best in the nation. Methodist is nearby and is moving up the list rapidly. In the Northeast of the country, Cleveland Clinic is #1. The main point of course is that your mother is well cared for in Houston. The Medical Center is just a wee bit short of Great! Of course I know this from my personal experience so I know they helped her to feel some relief while she was there recovering. Take good care of yourself

& Be well,

Debra