• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How often do you drink?

Guest SaraRider

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Michelle 2010

• MaryEllen

• VickySGV

Guest ~Emmie~

Usually 2-3 beers/mixed drinks a week; been trying to cut back lately, and lose some pounds. At 174lbs currently, want to get to 160ish before if/when I start HRT. (horrible grammar in that last bit, I know).

I drink more when I feel depressed, however. Which lately, is a lot. So my intake has gone up a little.

• Forum Moderator

Sometimes a better question for ourselves is whether we can control our intake once we start. I used to drink every day till i passed out. That could start in the morning, evening or the dead of the night. Right now i would have to answer the question as if alcohol wasn't a problem but it is. if I have one drink it will probably kill me. I cannot control myself at all. I have an allergy that requires more once i start. Once a week or once every 5 years doesn't matter. One is too many once you get to a certain point. That snuck up on me and then i found myself powerless in a hell that seemed unescapable. I only wish i could have one but know i can't.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

I like white wine with food, I gave up beer pretty much and I keep my weight steady. Drinking too much just makes my body want to gain weight, does not help my transition, in fact I worry even more about liver function being on HRT. Alcohol is something I pass on really, and I am no purist.

Cynthia -

• Forum Moderator

Wendae,

If you or anyone feels they have lost control of their drinking or if they feel powerless over alcohol we have a meeting at Laura's chat(sign up separately) on Sunday at 9:00 eastern. Hope to see you there.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

I also want to point out the post "are you an alcoholic" that is pinned in this topic at the top of the page. It may help you to see whether you have a problem or not.

Hugs,

Charlie

Every once in a while I start reading posts and need one good stiff drink. Something strong enough to cross both eyes permanently. Instead, I just go to bed instead. Cheap date I am, I am. Kahryn

My problem is not that I drink all the time. It's the amount I drink at one time. I usually drink at the beginning of weekends, and don't even desire alcohol the rest of the week. So a lot of it is mental, but not wanting to stop after starting is not good. I never drink before or during work, or when I have appointments. Still the desire seems to always be there on Friday evening.

Jenny

• Admin

I am very happy to say that my last drink was October 10, 2008. It opened the doors to so much going on in my life today that it wonderful. To note in passing, my last drink was meant to be the one that killed me, so it would have been the last one no matter what happened. I like the way it turned out thank you!!

I need to stop dancing to the radio and guzzling my pink grapefruit juice for a minute, so I can comment. I spent the first clean and sober ten years in the program being smug. Relapsers, why can't they just get it, don't drink and go to meetings. Work the program! That was before my yets... I got married in the program and falling away from the program after three years with my new sober alcoholic bride we were swept back into the bottle. She was a horrible binge drinker, I was ping ponging the bottle and the program. I had a consoling friend at work, that became my mistress. Then the discovery she was a stoner. Guess what double dummy Jody became? Yup, the pothead alcoholic. Gee, wouldn't that promote a happy marriage. I was a mess. Thank God I lost them and found the Program again.

OK Jody, what's your point? I know that it is the first drink that runs me down like the locomotive, not the caboose. And just like that giant freight train, it doesn't hit full speed as the brakes are released. I get away with the first drink. Then next time it becomes the next three drinks. Hey I'm OK... Then the full bottle, Then three bottles. Hey, I got this! Back off! Then the train really picks up speed. Now every waking moment is taking care of obligations and waiting for that next drink. Friday becomes Monday and on and on they run. Now I'm off the rails in a crazy train and the engine is still bellowing from all sixteen turbocharged cylinders. I crawl out from under my wreck and I crawl back to the Program to take another twenty-our hour chip to add to my stack. It is the only room I have ever found that is full of people willing to applaud me for thirty days, for being totally stupid! Then they stand me back on my feet and show me how to get clean and sober. Even though I knew that first drink didn't get me. Ya right!

Today I stick close to my Higher power, work the program and hang on tight to the winners. I want Medallions again! Truthfully it is much easier staying clean and sober as a girl.That old guy was just such a hard headed drunk. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

• Admin

No fair for recovering alcoholics to highjack this thread!! :harhar: We return you to the OP's topic of how much TG's can responsibly drink without a problem. :dunno:

• Admin

LOL! Sorry Vicky, I can't resist planting seeds when I find fertile ground. My bad, Giggle. Jody

I was laughing at both of us really, as we say "If you can drink responsibly as a normal person, our hats are off to you". So, I was just tipping my hat since I know there are those of us that toast a new year in with strong coffee, and then there are the rest. :P

Guest midnyteTX

I drink when I go out, maybe about twice a week. Generally when I do drink I will have like 3 drinks and then drink soda the rest of the night, and always eat before I go out. I guess you could say, I'm a responsible drinker, but I don't go out to get drunk. I go out to have fun and a couple of drinks are all I need to be able to do that.

Rebecka Lynn

Guest Kate_Evelyn

I have a really bad habit of binge drinking. when I drink I will drink unroll I pass out then I will be fine for a while. I have to drink in public to keep my self under control to the most part.

Ya I agree with Lissa. Pretty much if I'm ever invited to go drinking I'll binge drink 'til my mind is sore the next day. Otherwise, I've never even purchased alcohol.

• Admin

I drink whenever I possibly can, I almost NEVER turn down booze.

That is not a good thing for anyone, Courtney, and especially not for one so young as you. That is a recipe for alcoholism, and you should know that transitioning and alcohol abuse do not mix. I hope you give that some careful thought, as to where your priorities are.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest RainbowGoth98

I drink whenever I possibly can, I almost NEVER turn down booze.

That is not a good thing for anyone, Courtney, and especially not for one so young as you. That is a recipe for alcoholism, and you should know that transitioning and alcohol abuse do not mix. I hope you give that some careful thought, as to where your priorities are.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

My priorities are whatever keeps me from cutting and killing myself. No one else but me seems to take that into account before passing judgement on me.

Guest ~Brenda~

Courtney,

No one is passing judgement on you. How is someone who is 14 able to obtain alcohol in the first place?

Alcohol has much more damaging effects on younger people than adults.

Carolyn was just trying to help you. She was not judging you.

Brenda