• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How often do you drink?

Guest SaraRider

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Michelle 2010

• MaryEllen

• VickySGV

• Forum Moderator

Micha, What you describe is a serious problem. Please join us in the chat room on Sunday at 9:00 eastern. We have an AA chat meeting then.

Blackouts and violence are common amongst us but we can free ourselves from that problem with help. I know i couldn't do it without help and had lost all hope as my addiction grew. I have been blessed in being sober for over 6 yars now and am living beyond my wildest dreams. Not perfect but good!

Hope to see you there or perhaps you could find a meeting closer to home.

Hugs,

Charlie

Yeah Micha, sounds like you are aware there is a problem...

The true test of the whole deal is, knowing what you know, the obvious thing to do is to stop, right?

Well, for a "heavy drinker", he quits and life gets better and he moves on, doing other things. Because alcohol was the problem, when its removed, the problem goes away...

But for an alcoholic, when the booze is removed, something else happens. Life gets worse instead of better, because the problem hasn't been removed... The problem for an alcoholic is alcoholism, not alcohol. Alcoholism has to be treated as well as alcohol being removed.... Alcoholism without alcohol to treat it is miserable, unless the core issue of alcoholism is treated.

So Micha, take away the alcohol and what happens?

HUgs

Michelle

Guest Jaques

too often - i dont have a drink problem but i enjoy a glass of wine - or two, or three - i feel i should cut down. Alcohol can be enjoyable in moderation but when ive had too much it turns me into not such a nice guy, so i try to avoid being drunk as when i am, i dont like myself very much and that doesnt sit well with my way of life.

Guest Jaques

About 1 smirnoff every couple of weeks.

..............there used to be a tv advert about smirnoff - when i was in a public toilet, written on the back of the door were two things - "I thought Wan King was in China till I discovered Smirnoff" - the other said "Christ is Lord of All"

Guest Micha

Yeah Micha, sounds like you are aware there is a problem...

The true test of the whole deal is, knowing what you know, the obvious thing to do is to stop, right?

Well, for a "heavy drinker", he quits and life gets better and he moves on, doing other things. Because alcohol was the problem, when its removed, the problem goes away...

But for an alcoholic, when the booze is removed, something else happens. Life gets worse instead of better, because the problem hasn't been removed... The problem for an alcoholic is alcoholism, not alcohol. Alcoholism has to be treated as well as alcohol being removed.... Alcoholism without alcohol to treat it is miserable, unless the core issue of alcoholism is treated.

So Micha, take away the alcohol and what happens?

HUgs

Michelle

The latter. I'm angrier, more miserable and just generally more depressed. Trying to get insurance to see the mental health network here, but 'till then, I'll try to see you tomorrow night in chat.

Also try an AA meeting. That is the cheapest best therapy for a buck in the basket, or free if you have none. All the therapists are just like you and they know first hand from OJT of meserable alcoholism. No one there came in on a winning streak. They lived what they know. Ask me how I know, yes I are one... Drink free, happy, joyous and free! If after thirty meetings, nothing happens for you, or you decide you are not a member of the club, we will refund your misery back. Hug. Jody

Guest Bellexia

Beginning to wonder if I have a problem. second night in a row I got plastered. I didn't buy it I just was given it by my brother. I didn't drink to drink but to get drunk. woke up just now after having blacked out for 20 minutes on my keyboard... blech. depression sucks, and I don't want to go to a AA meeting because I don't need or want god in my life.

Hi Fractured! Btw, yours could have been my name for many many years... Or perhaps "Living A Lie" lol!

The "god thing".... yeah, that seems like a big one doesn't it? But it doesn't have to be. Its only as big an obstacle as you make it.... Here's why: many athiests/agnostics participate in AA. All god has to be is something more powerful than you. For me in the beginning it was nature. I knew that Hurricanes and Florida thunderstorms were more powerful than I am. So then it became a matter of acknowledging I needed help from a higher power, what ever it was. In the beginning it was the group I attended, after all, they were sober and happy and I wasn't. They had what I wanted... a different sort of life.

All it takes is simply letting go of a battle that doesn't need to be fought, a belief that doesn't need to be defended or validated. You can have whatever belief or lack of belief you like, as long as you believe there is some power in the universe bigger than you. My pain and despair was certainly more powerful than I. Perhaps other more positive powers existed.... All I had to do was show up and listen for others to tell my story.... Look for who had been through the inner turmoil and soul sickness, and came out the other sided. That sickness can exist without it being trans related. Listen for the feelings, not necessarily the source of them. Other than the demoralization of being an out of control alcoholic of course. That is the same for all of us in the beginning.

Michelle

Good for you!

Let us know what you think ok? It pays to check out 3-4 different meetings if you have alot to chose from. Find one that strikes your fancy :)

Michelle

• 1 month later...
Guest MaudeB

Hi,

The answer is simple: never !

I went into wild alcoolism before meeting cocaine and after some time I met Benzodiazepines in the form of Xanax 2 mg three times a day ! For those who know, that's the most a doctor can prescribe beside PRN (as you need in Canada). I had them all, Benzos, Percocet and everything that could get me high. That was 2004.

I never had a drink, a line or a non-prescribed medication since May 2008. It's been 5 years this year... I just realised this, writing it down.

I decided I would take my life back and I did with the help of a counselor and a psychiatrist that diagnosed Bipolarity from at least for the last 15-20 years.

I've been on medication for stability and even when I got kicked out of the house, OUR house, no substance found its way into my flat.

I guess it's a choice I made: I said in my head: "No More!" and I tooked the tools that were around me to get to a No More! state.

But it was long and hard, I can tell you this !

Well, I won't extend on the subject.

Maude

Guest Megan_Lynn

In an average month i have between 1-8 drinks at most some months so a single drop. Luckily I never had a drinking problem and can just have one enjoy it and not have anymore. Its not nor never was an important thing in my life. But if the mood strikes me yes I desire a beer , whine cooler or a mixed drink from time to time. It has to have been at least 10 years since the least time was drunk as the most will ever drink at one time is 2 drinks. Now if we are talking liquid Well heck then I consume at least a gallon of water every day.

• Forum Moderator

This is such a great topic because we can actually be honest on line. That is something i rarely was when drinking. I would tell my MD i had a couple of beers leaving out the 5th of vodka (on work days when i couldn't drink). That became what i believed as well. I couldn't face that i had a problem. I only wish i could only have a couple of beers but after one i'm off on a bender. Honesty about the problem and how the booze had control helped in finally putting the cork in the jug.

Hugs,

Charlie