• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

PhytoEstrogens and HRT

Guest Nikkichick33

Guest Nikkichick33

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would start a topic on a subject I would like some feedback on. I try to eat fruits and Veggies. I always have since I was Little. lately I have been researching the Negitave Effects that the phytoestrogens that are in fruits,veggies could have on those of us on HRT as well as Bio females.I have read that these Diets could lead to REAL Estradiol being blocked by the weak phytoestrogens found in those types of food. I have recently swicthed to Almond milk from cow milk. Now, will be also stopping the Almond milk due to the fact of almonds being somewhat high in Phytoestrogens. So, what are we supposed to do? seems the only way to get the HRT to do its job is to Eat an unhealthy Diet. completely avoiding any plant food what so ever, No fruits, No veggies. Then your complexion is going to take a Big Hit as well as your Health. so, my question, are the phytoestrogens in fruits and vegtables potent enough to bind to the Estradiol receptors and cancel out the hrt? are there any of you who have stopped eating Fruits-veggies and just eat meat all the Time?

Nikki...

Guest Maria_B

While I can't speak from any sort of science standpoint, I do know vegetarian and vegan girls who did not change their diet, and developed fine. I myself have always been the all-eating omnivore, with good ol' helpings of both meat and veg/fruit/more fruit/kefhskf give me fruit.

What I've heard, and keep in mind this is hearsay, is that the phyto are too weak to make an effect either way, positive or negative. But with all things, moderation. Don't go out and drink 7 cartons of soy milk a day, and don't eat nothing at all but meat. Balance in all things.

Guest LizMarie

Phyto-estrogens in food are pretty much irrelevant. If you get concentrated phyto-estrogens, such as some of the herbal products, they can cause issues so don't even go there.

Maria nailed it though, moderation in all things. Follow that in your diet and you should be fine as far as estrogen goes. And if you have questions, ask your endocrinologist!

• Forum Moderator

I was somewhat concerned at first but continue on my vegetarian diet and seem to be doing just fine. I'm sure my Dr. would have mentioned it but if you are concerned thats a good place to ask. The idea of moderation is the best one. Even a veggie can eat a varied diet it just takes a little more time in preparation.

Hugs,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sascha

I quit drinking cow milk. There is this huge lie that is being perpetuated: Milk is good for you bones. Wrong. very wrong. I drank milk and ate cheese all my life (Holland, you know), and guess what? I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis last month due to lack of calcium. In fact, there is scientific evidence that cow milk does the opposite: it weakens your bones. But what's new here, everything is a lie these days.