• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Making yet another change in my life.

Guest JeepGirl90

Guest JeepGirl90

Yup thats right, yet again transitioning is all about making changes... lol I have decided that rather than suffer in my current job the rest of my life, or try to find another job in my field that I'm going to go back to school. I'm looking into the medical assistant field and I figured it would be a good match for me. I don't feel that I will have much luck in my current field (automotive tech) once I transition full time so after some careful thought I think it will be a good move for me. From what I hear, the medical field in general tends to me more accepting than my current field. Does anymoe have any experience in this field that they can shed some light on their experiences? Or does someone have an opinion on this?

-Christina

• Forum Moderator

I think that is a great idea. You get to help a lot of people in medicine and have a chance to be with others so much more. I think it's a good decision. Are you going to do school at nights? I did that for a few years and found it fun if difficult.

hugs,

Charlie

Guest JeepGirl90

Yes I have to do night school, as I still need to bring in an income so its going to be 1 1/2 years but I think it will be well worth it.

-Christina

I don't know what basis there is to say it is "accepting".

I know someone who was a clinician (I forget the credentials) and spoke about how terrible the medical was as far as trans. That beyond the surface politeness this person was very much troubled by the gossip and talking about patients who were trans.

On the other hand, automotive stuff may not work for you depending on what you do. Being an auto mechanic getting under cars would probably be difficult if one is trying to maintail long nails. Getting dirt into longer hair may also be problematical though I seen plenty of guys with longer hair working on cars so...

If what you are doing now is not a passion for you, by all means change.

If it is a passion, well maybe find a way to make it work.

I seen lots of folks thru the years give up things they had some passion for in favor for something more socially acceptable or more befitting the new gender role. Eventually though, because it is a passion end up going back to it.

I tended to do routine maintence on my vehicles such as oil changes or even brake pads. Maybe turn-up. But anything more was a stretch. After dealing with the trans stuff I found myself less inclined to do so due to muscle loss and they mess.

In recent years however, with my boyfriend doing stuff and us acquiring better tools I have found myself getting back involved and doing more. Still stay away from oil changes, but I have surprised myself as some of the different things we've worked on. Not something I ever would have expected.

Guest Leah1026

From what I hear, the medical field in general tends to me more accepting than my current field. Does anymoe have any experience in this field that they can shed some light on their experiences? Or does someone have an opinion on this?

In general healthcare jobs are good, but some ar better than others. For example, medical assistants get paid little more than minimum wage usually. If you can afford it I would suggest you raise your sights for a better paying job such as nursing (LPN or RN), respiratory therapy, radiologic technology (x-ray tech) or medical technologist (lab tech).

I've been a radiologic technologist for 20 years and make decent money.

I have pretty much hung up the wrenches, I haven't sold my tools, but they are collecting dust. My passions for all things gear, have become a fire that burned to embers. I may take my airbrushes and paint flowers. Giggle. My hot rods and racing were huge money pits anyway. In a way, all my old hobbies were an escape from the real me. Girl friends comment on how well I do my make-up and eyes. I don't tell them it is just a new canvas for my existing artwork skills. Giggle.

I have my sights set on an office job. I am getting a lot of help to get there too. I am trying to get my admissions completed for fall semester. I have little clue what to take, other than core classes, english to help my writing, spanish as a second language and a big question mark from there. I hope I don't spin my wheels. I took a state provided resume writing class this week and I had a frustrating time trying to find any usable links from the old me, to the new me. I didn't loose any skills, but what to present and not out myself is very tricky. It is like I took a giant eraser to my life. All the things I have been and done in my very crazy one life, are not deminished, but I have lost the drive to maintain them. Trust me, I won't be taking up knitting any time soon. I keep hearing in my mind, the song Girls Just Want To Have Fun! oh that's the way, yes that's the way...

Can I actually be a lady, a tomboy, a wild cat and a Mom? Only the heavens know. Let me soar to my dreams! Hug. JodyAnn

PS--- Hey buddy, wanna race??? LOL! JA

Thanks Megan you are so dear! I saw that in the curriculum. That is so Jody! I look great in scrubs and I won't have to worry about Jody plumber's butt! Nice legs sticking out of an MRI machine, humming and working, pink fingernails reaching out of the cabinet for my screwdriver, asking when my plane flight is due for the next hospital. Hmmm.... :thumbsup:

• Forum Moderator

When I was young someone said to me something that I didn't really hear and have been sorry ever since. It is something you hear almost every happy and successful person say. Do what you love. Find something you want to do and figure out a way to do it and the money will follow.

I've known people who loved working in an office and were happy doing it but many, many more dragging through life in an office because it was there and something they could do rather than something they wanted to do. In the end they are not happy or successful people. I've also known a lot of professional people who were miserably unhappy because they chose a career for the money rather than because it was something they wanted to do with their life.

I did end up doing something with my life that I am passionate about and did make a difference in people's lives but I would have been happier had I followed my true passions instead of being intimidated by the challenges and limitations.

If you love the medical field then go for it. You may have to try a little harder and be a little better than most being trans. Probably a reality for many of us. But our attitude will have more of an impact on our work environment generally than their preconceived notions. One of my favorite quotes that I try to remind myself about frequently is from the movie Harvey-‘In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.’ Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.” Been there and done that. Pleasant really will smooth most roads eventually. Not saying trying to work in some environments will always work-but I am saying as long as you are aware of the challenges the level of acceptance in a field should not necessarily dictate your choices either.

Johnny

Guest Alexthecat

It sucks when you show up for work and the first thing out of your co-workers mouth is they want to go home. Don't turn into one of those people.

Guest JeepGirl90

It sucks when you show up for work and the first thing out of your co-workers mouth is they want to go home. Don't turn into one of those people.

I'm already one of those people, I HATE going to my current job, some days I would rather have extensive root canal surgery than go into work... one of the many sign that it is time to move on
Guest SusanB

I'm already one of those people, I HATE going to my current job, some days I would rather have extensive root canal surgery than go into work... one of the many sign that it is time to move on

In the same boat looking for a new job but, it has nothing to do with transitioning. Hate the thought of going to that place

Guest JeepGirl90

well i would be looking anyway so I'm not gonig to blame that on transitioning... It has helped accelerate my wanting to change careers and doing something about it ...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JeepGirl90

The best part of this whole deal is that I'm not the only Transgender student going to this school. My admissions counselor pulled me into her office after I was done getting my finanical aid, as I had told her my "situation" so to speak when I had my first meeting. and the first question was "which bathroom would you prefer to use?" I smiled and we talked for a little before I left. So the skinny of it is I can actually go to school as myself, so I don't have to put on the act at school I have to do for so many hours at my current job, which is awesome. She also told me if any of the students give me any problems then they will take care of it as harrassment and bullying is not something that is tolerated. So right now I couldn't be happier!

-Christina