• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

1st Time In The Mens Room

Guest MrAwesome

Guest MrAwesome

Today I went into the Men's room for the 1st time in a while. I used to on occasion when I was younger, or when the womens was out of order, When I walked in, I glanced around as I walked to the stalls. It was odd, in both the ones I went in there was only 2 stalls, is there a 2 stall Men's room limit? I think I followed the rules, I didn't talk, I didn't make eye contact, I barely looked at anyone. It felt sooo natural. but I couldn't shake the awkwardness of sitting down to pee... (I still need to get an STP device) Overall though, once I was done doing my business, I walked out of the restroom with my head up high and walked to the table (I went to Pizza Hut) and I felt so proud! It was almost like I didn't have a female body at all! For once, Now I finally feel like I really am an official boy! ^_^

Now my question for everyone out there is - What was it like your first time in the Mens room? (for FTMs) or Womens (for MTFs)? When did you actually 1st feel that you were yourself, just able to let loose, and not be self contous about your gender in public?

~Lewis

Guest April63

Haha, yes, there is a two stall limit unless you are in a very crowded place such as an airport :)

As for my experience, haven't been to the ladies room yet.

April

Guest Jackson

I don't feel self-conscious in public, but the men's room is a whole 'nother story.

I never realized how much I took restrooms for granted until now. It's really only been a few times for me going into the men's room. I work in a hospital which has gender-neutral bathrooms. So I just get a little uncomfortable.

It did help last time to remember that no one looks at anyone else. I get the feeling that someone going into the men's room in a dress probably wouldn't attract any attention. But who knows?

The first time I used the mens room It was cause I had to. Let me explain. I had just started to live as a man full time but I was always worried about using the mens room, I would hold it or try to find place that had unisex bathrooms, well one day I had to go and I went into the girls bathroom for fear of getting caught in the mens room. Well lets just say that security was called on me and I was told to get out. After that day I haven't seen the inside of a girls restroom. That was 1996.

THATS SOOOOO GREAT FOR YOU!!!!! (and btw, good restaurant choice. pizza hut is delicious) My first time was very exciting, but it was a one person bathroom, so it was more gradual lols.

-Emily

Guest MrAwesome
THATS SOOOOO GREAT FOR YOU!!!!! (and btw, good restaurant choice. pizza hut is delicious) My first time was very exciting, but it was a one person bathroom, so it was more gradual lols.

-Emily

LMAO!!! xD that don't count :P lol jkjk It feels really good. especially when you get away with it. ^_^

Guest MrAwesome
I don't feel self-conscious in public, but the men's room is a whole 'nother story.

I never realized how much I took restrooms for granted until now. It's really only been a few times for me going into the men's room. I work in a hospital which has gender-neutral bathrooms. So I just get a little uncomfortable.

It did help last time to remember that no one looks at anyone else. I get the feeling that someone going into the men's room in a dress probably wouldn't attract any attention. But who knows?

Exactly, however, even though it's a little scary, It's well worth it! xD

Guest MrAwesome
The first time I used the mens room It was cause I had to. Let me explain. I had just started to live as a man full time but I was always worried about using the mens room, I would hold it or try to find place that had unisex bathrooms, well one day I had to go and I went into the girls bathroom for fear of getting caught in the mens room. Well lets just say that security was called on me and I was told to get out. After that day I haven't seen the inside of a girls restroom. That was 1996.

LOL this has to be my favorite response :) did you tell them you were Trans? I personally can't go in a mans or womans room without feeling self contious... cause I look like a man... so every time I would go in the womans I'd stick my chest out XD

Hi,

if you are going right from the toilet to the table without cleaning your hands your are statisticaly a real man ;)

It is normal that mens rest room has only to chambers. The space must be saved for the hugh amount of chambers in the female section :D

Up to now I do not go out as a girl. But I think if I do I would just use the girls room without any bad feeling. Before that I must find some nice stories to talk about during the visit at the toilet.

Greetings

Nelly

My first time in a lady's room was rather strange, it was in the Miami International airport changing planes on the way home to Texas. I had just gotten off of a long flight from argentina and the seat belt light had come on for landing about 20 seconds before the last soft drink had decided that it was through with me. I grabbed my stuff and on the way I saw the restroom signs. I dashed in, went into one of the stalls and was so happy to see a place for my camera bag other than the floor. When I went to wash my hands I noticed that the person next to me was female - did I mention that I was not even thinking about transitioning at this time - I had dsahed into the wrong restroom, but I guess my therapist was right about my ability to pass, she didn't even notice!

Love ya,

Sally

I have used public female restrooms several times now. The first time was at the Toronto international airport! :)

I went on a road trip across the U.S. and used several female restrooms then as well. The scariest was in a Wendy's restaurant in the middle of nowhere. But the lady using the sink next to me gave me a huge toothless smile, so I guess I passed ok.

I am realy afraid to use a lady's room now, I don't want that annoying little blue lady to pop off of the door and follow me in pushing her Detrol LA on me!

Do I watch too much television?

Love ya,

Sally

I avoided public restrooms for a long time because I was getting weird looks and people telling me I was in the wrong bathroom when I was in the women's room, but I didn't think I passed enough to use the men's room. But one time, I really had to pee, and I was at school, so I tried to find a bathroom where there probably wouldn't be anyone, and I was scared, since at that time most people still knew me as a girl. I opened the door and peeked inside, and then entered and headed straight for the stall. While I was in there, another guy walked in and used the urinal, and I waited until he left to leave the stall. Then I tried to leave the bathroom as nonchalantly as possible, though I'm sure if anyone had been watching, they would have known how nervous I was. I was so paranoid! But since then I've gotten much more confident about it.

Yes :) there is a two stall limit in the Mens room. lol it is universal. and pretty consistent. That and never flush a urinal.

if you are going right from the toilet to the table without cleaning your hands your are statisticaly a real man ;)
....which technically is the second part of not flushing :blush:

Personally, I think the best time to use the Men's room is when you "really" have to go- cuz you thinking so much about that you never think about anybody.

I don't remember my first time in a dude's bathroom.

I jst know, I've never been scared to go in one.

I always use the guy's bathroom.

If I went into a girl's bathroom, I'd get hit with purses.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Using the men's room still makes me nervous. In public isn't as bad as at school, which is more like work for me because I'm a grad student. For the past 4 years, I was known to be female (most assumed I was a butch lesbian) and used the women's bathroom. When people know you it is hard to make the switch. I guess I'd call the bathrooms I have access to at school to be more like semi-public. They are set up like public bathrooms, but the same people are using them each day. We don't get many people up on our floor who aren't grad students or faculty.

If I go in the men's room, people that kinda know who I am but don't know about my transition are like "Wha? OMG". If I use the women's room (which is much cleaner), then people who don't know me are like "Wha? OMG". I can't win. This "in between" phase I'm in is not cool.

Bottom line.... it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawkward no matter what I do.

when i have to check the toilets at work i get wierd looks, which i find funi and im pre T and not even trying as i just ahve my work uniform on.

also loads of males when i serve them tickets keep going 'nice one lad' that makes me feel so good :)

Guest Jackson
This "in between" phase I'm in is not cool.

Bottom line.... it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawkward no matter what I do.

Yeah, that's about how I'm feeling right now. Although I've not had anyone say anything about me being in the men's room. What I'm worried about this that we have a fitness room at the hospital and the only way in and out is through the women's locker room or men's locker room. I don't want to make anyone at work uncomfortable so I change in the gender neutral bathrooms, but I sneak through the women's locker room. I really need to check with someone in HR about what to do about this. Only once in a while do I need to shower. Then what?

Personally, I think the best time to use the Men's [or women's for MTF] room is when you "really" have to go- cuz you thinking so much about that you never think about anybody.

The one problem with this is that as you leave the bathroom, then you feel extremely awkward :D

When I first started to take T I had just gotten a new job and I told HR during my interview that I was going to use the mens reastroom. At that time I still had my Female name and gender marker. She said she didn't care where I went. Well lets just say at that time I wasn't passing 100% yet and when I went into the mens room at work it was arkward, but I was determined to be who I was and using the girls bathroom was not an option for me. Lets just say that a few guys left the bathroom and some looked at me strange, and some even told me I didn't belong in there. I responed by continuing to go to the mens room. I didn't argue with them I just told them one time I'm a man. Anyhow it took about a week or two and they got used to me, started to ask me questions about my transition about two months later. They noticed the changes I was going through. And gave me tips on being a man.

I think If you remain calm and stand your ground that things work out. YOU belong in the bathroom that your gender is. Bottom Line. and I never allowed anyone to scare me away. They will get over it.

The most important thing I've learned during my transition is to stand your ground, to remain true to you. ANd to never allow anyone to have the power to scare you away from anything.

I've gone through the in-between stage, and it can be scary, you secound guess if your passing of not. Just remeber you are you. Just be peaceful about it.

At least that's what works for me.

Hm my first time in the guys restroom wasn't very eventful. I went it, did my stuff, came out. No problems at all. I almost tried it before when I was at the airport. I sat there looking at the restrooms for like 20 minutes trying to decide which one. Finally I chose the womens and when I was walking out a bunch of old ladies though I was a guy and called me a perv.