• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

FINALLY....came out at work.....

Guest MiraJ

Guest MiraJ

Well....as the subject line says.

Its been received pretty well.

Most responses were. As long as you happy, that's important.

Im glad its out....will i transition there...hmm not sure. I got plan B already in my head, just incase.

My boss knows since day one (one year) and my GM i just told, hes fine with it too.

Mira

Guest Mia J

Hello Mira.

That is great. It is wonderful to see when trans folk are able to come out at work. Can you go into more details on how it went and maybe tell us what kind of work you are in if it will not reveal too much?

I hope you don't mind but I am going to move this to the "coming out" forum where it may attract more views. I will leave a link to it here.

Mia

Hi Mira,

Congratulations - that takes a big leap of faith. I'm glad you landed well!

Transitioning on the job can be done, but you have to judge your work environment. I work in health care, had eighteen years on the same job prior to transition. In that environment it was simple, and 18 months later it's old news. Other industries can be more difficult, but, if you're in a job that you like and have the respect of your coworkers, you may want to consider staying put. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Best of luck with the next steps. If you need help with them, we're here. Another resource of course is your GT - get them involved too.

Love, Megan

PS - welcome back! I didn't get to respond to your re-introduction thread... It's good to see you again!

Guest BeccaC

That is AWESOME girlfriend!!! While I am not out at my current job, the one I am trying to return to knows... But then again you saw the responses I got from my coming out post :).. I am so happy for ya Mira

Love ya girl

Becca

Guest sophia.gentry58

Congrats to you Mira, Im so happy for you! :) I think it's a real brave thing you've done. I look forward to the time when I am able to come out to the folkes on my job.

Sophia

Congratulations!

It feels so much better to not be hiding all of the time doesn't it?

Look at where you are working now and see what the company polices are - do they include anything in their diversity statement about gender identification or gender expression - if so then it is a bit easier to make that decision.

I transitioned on the job in a commissioned sales position - the company is proud of its diversity rating and supports PFLAG as one of its charitable contributions so I felt that I would not lose my job - I did fear that returning customers might feel uneasy around me having met me first as a male but that has not happened - 19 months without a problem - is that because I am a natural beauty who blends in flawlessly - not by a long shot, standing 5' 15" tall (I no longer admit to being over 6' - just a joke, I am 6'3" tall) and down 56 pounds to only 290 - I am in the words of my friend Lizzie McTrucker, "A runway model at the airport."

You can do it, people will accept you if you accept yourself - if you do not fully accept yourself as being female then it is not the time but if you do check the company environment, you have tested the waters so now it is time to decide - are you ready to take the plunge?

Love ya,

Sally

• Admin

That's great, Mira! Big congrats to you. It takes a bit of courage to come out, especially at work. I'm really glad that your management is supportive. We have resources here on this site that can be used to educate them, if they need and want it. Coming out is just the beginning of the process. Education is the next step. I wish you nothing but luck.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kendra K

That's great! I've always wondered about coming out at work, before transition or even not transitioning. Glad it worked out for you. :)

Guest sophia.gentry58

Well....as the subject line says.

Its been received pretty well.

Most responses were. As long as you happy, that's important.

Im glad its out....will i transition there...hmm not sure. I got plan B already in my head, just incase.

My boss knows since day one (one year) and my GM i just told, hes fine with it too.

Mira

Hi Mira,

Since my congratulatory thread to you I got to thinking about your courage and decided to take the plundge, well, not completely. I came out to a co-worker today and it went spendidly well. Thank you Mira for giving me the courage! (((Hugs)))

Sophia