• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I did it now I wait

Guest LadySophia

Guest LadySophia

As I've been saying the last few weeks, I've been wantin to come out to the rest of my friends. I have one I've told and she's so accepting. But I have my 4 best friends all males who I've known for quite some time, and a couple more girl friends, and it's time I tell them. I think the girls will be accepting, the guys I'm not so sure about except one who seems to be accepting of lgbt matters. Anyway I told them all I had something very important to tell them, and then sent them an email. I felt this was the perfect time as we have a long 3 day weekend.

This is the email I sent.

"I am writing this email because as I told you earlier, I have something very important to tell you. Being my best friends I think it is only fair that I let you know what is going on in my life.

What I am about to tell you my come as a shock to you all. I've been dealing with this for quite sometime now, since I was very young and it s time I come clean and be true to myself. I know some of you may not understand. My greatest fear is that this will make you feel uncomfortably around me, and you will reject. I would hate to lose you as a friend as you've meant so much to me over the past few years.

It's time I tell you that I am transsexual and I've been dealing with a condition called gender dysphoria. I know this may not make sense to you, so I will explain it to you the best I can. What this means is that I was born with the brain of a female but born with the body of a male. I consider myself a female and over the past few months I have seeked professional help and am taking the necessary steps to phyaically change my body to that of female. The things that science can do now is incredible and I will be able to transition to looking like a female and not a boy in a dress like some of the people you may see on Jerry springer.

Explaining what it feels like to be transgender to someone who does not have this condition is somewhat impossible. The only thing I can compare it to is if you were asked to explain the color blue to a blind man. I understand it may take awhile to understand and I am willing to wait.

The only thing I have left to say is, if you have any questions, no matter what it is ask. Now matter how dumb you may think it is, ask and I will answer.

I look forward to hearing from you and I hope this will not affect our relationship in a negative and remember I am changing my gender but not my personality. I will be the same person you've known for the last few years."

And now I wait for response and I'm really nervous, I swear I be felt my phone vibrate 5 times in the last 5 minutes but when I look nothing's there.

As nervous as I am, I'm also excited because I feel I red to be full time ASAP.

Anyway no turning back now for this girl.

I'll give you updates as I get responses.

Congratulations LadySophia!

That is such a huge leap to take.

I wish you success, acceptance and happiness on your journey.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Guest -guest-

Wow...I hope everything goes well. Anticipating the responses must be nerve-wracking!

That's a huge step, and I'm sure it's going to be a great relief for you as well.

Guest Amber Lynn

Good for you, Sophia! I know the wait can be really nerve-racking...

Please, let us know what happens. I'm excited for you and keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Gina

Guest LadySophia

Got my first response from my friend Lauren, in a text.

"Awwww this must have been so hard for you to do girl and I'm honored to be one of the ones you told first, do you mind if I come over to talk?"

So far so good :) :) :) :)

Guest LadySophia

Ok well Lauren is over and she just met Sophia for the first time, and I invited her to the shopping trip this weekend, she's been so great today and she says hello to you all btw.

I also got two more responses one great and or not so great my friend Jon, who I though would be accepting texted and said "great, now I have to change your name in my phone. JK, good for you on finally becoming who you are. But seriously what do I call you." I told him Sophia :) and we talked for a little bit, and he asked a bunch of questions.

The next response wasnt directed to me. Lauren texted her best friend, Danielle, one of the girls I emailed and asked if she got my email and she said its wierd and won't want to be seen with me because of what people at school would think of them hanging out with a boy trying to look like a girl. Lauren told her I did look like a girl and pretty one too and Danielle responded with "ya I doubt it".

Lauren and her got in a little bit of a fight, and that's the one thing I didn't want, two good friend s to fight over my issues.

Guest -guest-

Lauren and her got in a little bit of a fight, and that's the one thing I didn't want, two good friend s to fight over my issues.

Maybe that will pass, although it sounds as if she's more worried about what people will think than anything you might be going through.

Guest Guest_

Sophia: Let me first say what a beautiful young women you are. I would say if you were reincarnated you would come back as lioness due to fact that your courage is so strong to recoginize who you really are and that you want to be open to your most precious gifts you have (Your Friends). Please dear give them all the time they need for this is all new to them. Life is full of good and bad moments. On our road there is always a hill to climb, a curve to go around, or a bump that we try to avoid, but then there is that long straight away that we can travel down with ease and enjoy the scenery, and that is when life and our journey is best. I see a very powerful women developing inside of you who has the future just waiting for her to enjoy life. God Bless You.

Amber L.

Guest deadking

That's awesome Sophia!

I hope everything goes well with your friends, I know coming out can be difficult ;>

- Ty

Sophia.

I forgot to mention that patience is the key.

We have dealt with our issues our whole lives and we are ready to come out now.

Our friends and families are just finding out about us today.

They will need time to understand what they were just told.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Guest nomnomnom

Congratulations Sophia, they should all be accepting after a while, especially once they see how much happier you are as female.

I did say that they would feel honoured for being some of the first people to know. And Jon's response was funny.

Sophia, very few of us get through transition without losing friends. Still I agree with Joann that patience is the key. Your friend Danielle actually sounds a little immature if she is afraid of what others think about associating with you. In any case if someone can't accept you for who you are, are they really your friend?

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

Guest LadySophia

Thank you all so much for your support, not just today's but from the very beginning, I can't tell you how much it's meant to me and I can honestly say I wouldn't be here without all of you. Thank you

Sophia

Guest rexxmarksley

Congratulations on having the courage to come out. It takes a lot and I'm really proud of you for being able to do it!

I'm sorry to hear that two of your friends are fighting a little over it right now but it should pass. Sometimes people are shocked by the news and don't quite know how to respond. Hopefully the dust will settle in a little while. Although, sometimes we grin and bear the tough parts of it all to become who we truly are.

I'm glad most of your friends were very accepting of it though and I wish you all the best of luck in your transition

Aaron :)

Guest LizMarie

Some people worry more about what the neighbors will think of them for associating with a trans person than about the trans person. Often this passes but occasionally it doesn't. Overall though it sounds like things are going well for you! Congratulations!

Guest Amber Lynn

Sophia,

It sounds like your responses so far have been mostly positive! While Danielle's response was less than great, like Jenny says, it seems to be out of immaturity more than anything. Unfortunately, I think that a little bit of turmoil is normal when coming out about something so big, so don't worry about the fight, it's not your fault and it will pass one way or another. Be happy that you have friends that are so quick to stand by you!

Happy for you hon!

Gina

Guest LadySophia

Ok well I got the last 3 responses and I'll start with the bad news, one of my "friends" told me that I would never be a girl, and that's it's probably a good idea if I didn't go through with it. He is looking out for my best interest an people are gonna think I'm a freak and to just be a boy. It's funny because it doesn't seem like he's looking out for my best interest.

Now on to the good news, my best friend Jerry, who I have known since I was 5 said he was shocked and that I hid that very well but he accepts me and he came over for a bit. I was already dressed and I wasn't gonna change when he got here the look on his face was priceless when he saw me. He just said "wow, I didn't even recognize you", And we sat and talked for a bit with Lauren, and she was joking with him, saying that I'm gonna start hanging with the girls more then him, and I re assured him that it wasn't true. He only stayed a little while and when he left he showed some concern and said it was gonna be tough to get used to but he'd try.

Finally the last friend replied and is accepting and revealed that his uncle is a ftm transsexual and that he never told us because he was afraid that we would judge his uncle. Funny how that worked out.

But over all this has been an amazing day I told 6 people today and 4 are accepting. I d say that is as good as it gets, and I'm so so excited. I am such a lucky girl to have accepting friends. I have been dreading this for the past few months and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can finally move on and start living my life.

This is just one step, and this allows me to cross one thing off my list to go full time this summer.

Up next for me is another GT appointment this weekend and I'm excited to tell her the big news.

Finally I want to thank you all again for your support.

Sophia :) :) :)

Guest Sarah Faith

That's great news Sophia! Coming out is definitely challenging so good for you for getting the courage to do it! 4 out of 6 isn't bad, but give it time one or both of them may come around I had people who rejected me when I came out change their minds as time went on. Sadly though there will be those that just will not accept it, I recently got back in touch with some old friends of mine and most were shocked by the new me but overwhelmingly supportive but a few even one who was a VERY close friend were not. Like others have said the loss of some relationships is more or less inevitable, but if they are so small minded they cannot accept you regardless then it is better for them to move on.

Congrat's hon, sounds like your on track to be where you want to be by the next school session! :)

Sarah