• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Questions from my fire brigade colleagues?

Guest Jenny_W

Guest Jenny_W

I worked out that I am trans about 9 months ago after 30 years of crossdressing. I started HRT over 3 months ago and I've told heaps of family / friends / colleagues that I'm trans (130+). I am a volunteer firefighter and in 2 weeks I have a session with my brigade to formally tell the members - most of them already know because I've told them one-on-one over the last few months.

Part of the session will involve discussion and questions around practical issues (bathrooms, where do I sleep when we go away on strike teams and anything else they want to ask). I am not sure what sort of questions they might ask - what sort of questions pop into people's minds when they find out someone is trans? I'm 'too close' to know those basic questions.

Can you help?

Can you tell me questions someone may ask if they have never met a transgender person before or had any reason to think about transgender issues?

What do people immediately ask themselves? And hence, will probably ask me.

I would like to 'prepare' some answers in my mind incase I get hit with a barage of 'basic' questions.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

Here are a few quick thoughts.

Try to remember what your friends have asked when you told them. The same things seem to always crop up. I try to diffuse most of the questions with an honest statement amongst others of the way i have always felt inside, of the effects of HRT, my plans for surgery or not etc. It depends i guess as well as to how close you are to the others. Sometings i don't discuss if i feel that the group shouldn't know. I would set out your desires for bathroom and sleeping arrangements.

I hope that helps. It is always a bit odd to come out to a group you work with. I am fortunate that none of them so far has involved sleeping arrangements. I wouldn't want to make things awkward for myself or others.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll do fine, try to relax most of all.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Admin

Here are a few questions that I've gotten, and some answers:

1. Does that mean you're gay?

No. Sexual preference has to do with who you want to go to bed with. Gender dysphoria has to do with who you want to go to bed as.

There are gay, straight and bi-sexual trans people.

2. Are you going to have surgery?

That's personal, and I'm not going to discuss it.

3. Does surgery involve removing the penis?

No, it involves surgically transforming the penis and skin into all the proper female tissues.

4. What causes people to be transgender/transsexual?

No one knows for certain, but the latest science points to some combination of genetics and chemical imbalances, and possibly the influence of certain prescription drugs taken during pregnancy.

5. What is the difference between transgender and transsexual?

TG is generally used as an umbrella term, to include TS, crossdressing, androgynes, bi-gendered, genderqueer and other groups. TS generally refers to that subset of TG pertaining to those whose biological sex does not conform to who they they feel themselves to be. Gender dysphoria is the medical term for the condition.

6. Can I still talk to you about sports and stuff?

Yes! :D

Hope that helps.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

My daughter and SIL are volunteer firefighters and first responders and I know that one of their questions would be about physical ability and the impact HRT will have on that. I think they would probably want reassurance that you will still be able to perform the job and what changes there may be as far as what you are best suited to do.

Co-incidentally I have attended fund raisers etc at the firehouse and gotten very few questions and had no problems even in this ultra conservative area. I suspect it may be the same everywhere but the firefighter bond transcends other considerations and as long as my daughter is fine with me they are too. I know my daughter and SIL are also very accepting of their fellow firefighters in a different way than with other people.

All the best to you in the disclosure. Let us know how it goes please

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jenny_W

I just wanted to let everyone know that it all went well at fire brigade last night. I stood up unfront of a group of about 60 of my fellow firefighters and spoke for about 20 minutes. I got a standing ovation when I had finished! Everyone congratulated me and there were smiles everywhere. ** Such a great feeling **. Such acceptance.

I think everyone is relieved that I am out and people can now talk openly, because they have all known for quite a while. I am extremely relieved! After the meeting at about midnight, we got a firecall and Jen got her first official job and got to drive the pumper. I was even allowed to officially change my name and gender marker in the CFA (Country Fire Brigade) database yesterday so all the paperwork from last night's job will be in *my name*.

You know, it could be hailing this morning and it would still be a beautiful day.

Jenny

• Admin

Wonderful news, Jenny! Big congrats to you and your brigade mates. Aside from my own experience, you're the only person I know who got a standing ovation upon coming out. I know just how awesome and emotional that must have been.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonderful experience you had Jenny. And thank you for your service and dedication to all of your neighbors and friends. I know first hand how important the work that you are doing. I also know that there are no finer group of people than the firemen and firewoman. They, you put it all on the line to safeguard peoples lives and property everyday. So add me to that standing ovation Jenny. Kathryn

Guest Jenny_W

Wow - thank you Kathryn <3 I certainly don't do it for the recognition, but it's lovely when people express gratitude for me doing something I love. (If the truth be known - I'm just in it for the uniforms! Haha!)

I have to pinch myself from time to time to remind me that it's real - this heavily male-dominated occupation has welcomed me with open arms. Just the other day, one of the guys yelled at me just after we got a firecall: "C'mon Jen - stop looking in the mirror and get in the truck! We need a driver!" I feel awesome that this sort of banter can occur - it's really important at the station.

Thanks once again,

Jen

• Forum Moderator

I love stories like this, it's authentic living, it's real, it's allowing people to embrace you knowing your past.

Best wishes Jen

Cynthia -