• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!

Guest Brooke-E

Guest Brooke-E

So i havent posted anything in a while but last night i finally came out to my parents. It only took a few years for me to muster up the courage but now its done!!!!!! And they responded positively-ish, well my mom kinda blames herself and my dad was just a little awkward. But still they said they loved me and whatever it takes to make me happy they will do. I didnt directly tell them i plan on transitioning but i did say i wanted to be a girl and i have felt like this for a long time and then they said no matter what i choose to do they will support me through it!! I asked them if i could go see a gender therapist and they said absolutely so now i have that to look forward to. However now things are in the awkward phase where things are just weird. They have hugged me so many times in the last day and they never act like this. But i guess its just what comes with me telling them im not happy as a boy and i want to change. I just want things to go back to semi-normal around the house. But anyway... yay im so happy right now!!!

This is such a great way to start my summer!! :)

Guest Sarah Faith

Brooke, that is wonderful news! Coming out is one of the hardest things I know I've ever had to do. It does sound like your parents are reacting well, and the weirdness that you mention was my experience as well. Your parents are hugging you as much as they are more than likely because they want to reinforce that they still love you no matter what. It also takes time for us to get used to having the big secret out in the open change even good change can be really hard, it's especially hard on our loved ones as self blame for example does creep in their minds, you should definitely consider getting together some reading material or spend some time talking about trans issues. It would help to educate them and perhaps help them to not blame them selves and accept that it is something that simply is.

You can also always direct them here as we do have a section for support for parents, and they are always welcome here. :)

Big Hugs,

Sarah

Guest Brooke-E

I do plan of showing them some resources as soon as the initial shock of it dies down. Its weird though, i felt so sure that they had to have expected something but this was a total surprise to them. And i made sure i told them everything is ok and it isnt their fault. But they have always viewed me as their perfect child and a shocker like this has to take its toll.

Guest Angel Heart

This is such great news! I remember coming out to my parents. I did it with a letter and had them read it one night. My brother was awkward with it, my sister saw it coming, and my dad took it pretty hard. But no matter what, they said, they will always love me :) awww hehe.

I am so happy that your family is accepting Brooke! I do think it is a great idea to wait for the initial shock to die down before the next step, although I do think that this is a perfect time to show your family resources for education and support (like this site!). I wish you all the luck in the world, girl :) Stay strong!

PS I LOVE your profile pic. Sooooo cute! :P

Guest Brooke-E

haha thanks i like it to. And thanks for the advice, i guess i will show them this site just to they can kinda understand whats going on. They clearly didnt have any knowledge on this subject because when they began asking me about a hundred questions my mom thought everyone who was transgendered was gay. I dont think thats the case :)

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations on your honesty dear. it is a huge step. You might ask them if you can see a GT(gender therapist). It will not only be of help to you but he or she will be able to help your folks as well. Mine helped me to keep my marriage together as i went through big changes. It will help them to feel less guilt for sure. In the meantime do show them the area for parents. There is much support there. I have even met with a parent who wanted to talk to another trans person who wasn't her son. Really nice person as i'm sure your parents are as well.

I love the word positively-ish and understand it well.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Brooke-E

Thanks everyone, I just talked with my parents again and answered a few more questions. It seems like they kinda understand what i am going through but they just cant grasp how someone could not be gay and desire to live the opposite gender. But i guess this website will help with that. Also i specifically asked to see a gender therapist so hopefully there is one nearby that i can talk to. And Christina your time will come. After all i waited about 5 years to talk to them about this, and when i finally did it i just threw myself out there and hoped for the best. Also i found that the anticipation of telling them is much worse than when you actually get the words out.

Thanks for yall's support!!

Lots of Love Brooke!