• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

It's about time for fully-full time!

Guest Kaylee234

Guest Kaylee234

Monday morning I managed to get the EEO Chairman alone for a few minutes.

I plopped a copy of the OPM Guidance for Transgender Federal Employees (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/diversity-and-inclusion/reference-materials/gender-identity-guidance/)

and the Transequality.org TG Federal Employee workplace rights document (http://transequality.org/Resources/FederalEmployees_Feb2012.pdf)

on his desk and told him that I'm transgender and currently transitioning from male to female and it was time to get HR and my management together and discuss a timeline and any issues that may come up. He took it in stride and said he'd speak with HR himself and help them decide who is required to be at this meeting and when would be a good time and so on.

So today I am informed that next Tuesday morning is the date and time of the meeting. Only one of my supervisors has said that he can't make it, but I came out to him a couple weeks ago so we can just backfill him on the details later.

That means that Tuesday I'll be officially out at work! :D I'm so excited! I'll finally be 100% full time. No more putting makeup on in the parking lot before I go home :P:rolleyes:

~ Kay

Guest Jenn348

Very cool! And looking great, too :) If I may ask, how long on HRT for you so far?

I'm probably going to have to go full time earlier than anticipated because of a job opportunity. I'd rather start as female than transition on the job if at all possible.

Guest Jenn348

Very cool! And looking great, too :) If I may ask, how long on HRT for you so far?

I'm probably going to have to go full time earlier than anticipated because of a job opportunity. I'd rather start as female than transition on the job if at all possible.

Nevermind, I saw in your gallery some rough dates for 9 weeks, and it looks like you started HRT within a few days of when I did :)

Nice!

• Forum Moderator

Best of luck. that will remove so much stress from your life.

Hugs,

Charlie

Kay

I went full time this past Monday and it has been a wonderful week for me Kay. You are going to discover how wonderful it is living honestly and as who you truely are. This has been the most amazing week of my entire life and next week is going to be your amazing week Kay. When that time arrives when you can't say no to your feelings, you have to commit and take that big step. Your ready Kay, Enjoy. Kathryn

Guest Kaylee234

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Did I mention how excited about this I am? :lol::lol::D

Nevermind, I saw in your gallery some rough dates for 9 weeks, and it looks like you started HRT within a few days of when I did :)

Nice!

Thanks! :blush: As of today I'm 14 weeks + 1 day :D

OMG I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight lol

~ Kay

Guest Amber Lynn

Congrats Kay, I'm really happy for you! It sounds like things couldn't have gone smoother. I'm sure next week will be amazing! :D Let us know how it goes!

Love,

Gina

Guest Kontessa

Kaylee - CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a big and very important step you are taking! Hope everything goes well for you at your meeting. I imagine your life will be less stressful not having play a dual role - and just being being your true self.

GOOD LUCK :groupwavereversed: we're all cheering for you :groupwavereversed: !!!

Many hugs and best wishes!

Kontessa

Guest Carla_Davis

I plopped a copy of the OPM Guidance for Transgender Federal Employees (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/diversity-and-inclusion/reference-materials/gender-identity-guidance/)

and the Transequality.org TG Federal Employee workplace rights document (http://transequality.org/Resources/FederalEmployees_Feb2012.pdf)

on his desk and told him that I'm transgender and currently transitioning from male to female and it was time to get HR and my management together and discuss a timeline and any issues that may come up. He took it in stride and said he'd speak with HR himself and help them decide who is required to be at this meeting and when would be a good time and so on.

So today I am informed that next Tuesday morning is the date and time of the meeting. Only one of my supervisors has said that he can't make it, but I came out to him a couple weeks ago so we can just backfill him on the details later.

That means that Tuesday I'll be officially out at work! :D I'm so excited! I'll finally be 100% full time. No more putting makeup on in the parking lot before I go home :P:rolleyes:

~ Kay

~ Kay

~ Kay

Congratulations Kay :goodjob:

It is beneficial to BOTH you and your employer as you will be MORE PRODUCTIVE if you are HAPPY.

Carla

Guest Kaylee234

Thank you all for your replies. I'm so excited and anxious about the meeting on Tuesday. It seems a little surreal that I'm finally getting this part done.

I'll be sure to post an update after the meeting! :D

~ Kay

Guest Kaylee234

So, this morning's meeting went very well. I brought enough copies of the documents I linked in my original post for everyone, including the HR representatives. I was hoping that HR would have had more experience with transitioning employees, but they had at least done quite a bit of homework so were knowledgeable. I am very happy with the positive attitude of all the people there, especially the managers.

The biggest issue, of course, was the bathroom dilemma. The facilities manager is looking into converting one of the bathrooms near where I work into a unisex bathroom, ostensibly for me to use as a temporary measure. That suits me just fine, temporarily. ;)

My immediate supervisor brought up the fact that the federal guidance explicitly states that I should be addressed with my new name and pronouns and he wanted to know if I wanted that to happen immediately. I told him that immediately wasn't necessary since I am still waiting on the court papers for my name change, but that once they go through, hopefully this week or next, that I would be changing my ID cards and email address and such and that would be the proper time to switch over. He seemed to like being given a short time to ease into it :)

All in all it was a great experience. So much support from my supervisors, it makes me feel much more confident that this was the right time to officially come out. I feel like a great burden has been lifted of of me.

~ Kay

Guest Amber Lynn

That's fantastic Kay. Everything is moving in the right direction, and I'll bet it only gets better from here. :)

Thank you for the updates, and congrats again!

Love,

Gina

Guest KerryUK

That's great news KayLee, glad it went so well for you. I can assure you that it only gets better from here on in. One day, you will be walking out of your office and suddenly you'll think 'wow, I'm accepted as me - they are accepting me as a girl' and it is the most wonderful feeling. It won't be long until you suddenly find yourself no longer thinking about it anymore and that you are just getting on with your life as you - that again, is such a nice feeling. Yes, it's a wonderful thing to find acceptance as you. Congratulations.

Hugs

K x.

• Forum Moderator

i'm so glad for your news. Now you can celebrate by going to a meeting. I'm glad it has gone so well. The weeks ahead will be full of excitement and joy combined with some moments of fear and worry i would guess. That's how it was for me at least. We are here for you. What a wonderful journey!

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest nomnomnom

Congratulations! It sure is one of the best feelings being able to come out at work and become yourself in all parts of your life.

be prepared for some people who can't be bothered saying your name / pronouns properly. I can only suggest you request it said earlier than later, as it will help them get used to it.

Guest Kaylee234

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. I'm so glad we are all here and so readily support each other. I honestly don't think that without all of your support I would be where I am right now, moving steadily toward a life that I have only dreamed about, that I thought was just a fantasy that I could never actually achieve.

It feels surreal at times.

~ Kay

Guest sophia.gentry58

Hi Kaylee;

Thank you so much for providing a link to OPM's policy on transgender employees. As a federal employee I have been somewhat concerned as to how to approach coming out to my employer. You have provided an invaluable resource, thanks again hon and Congrats to you for your continued journey to full womanhood!

Sophia