• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'll get there eventually!

Guest WFane

Guest WFane

Hi!

So, last January (2012), I came out to my father as a crossdresser. He said, "well i was expecting gay, but that makes sense too i guess." So that wasnt hard. But over the past year and a half, I've been going deeper and i'm pretty sure I'm ftm... I wont declare it without therapy though.

Last March (2012), I came out to my mother as a crossdresser. She said, in her thick Thai accent, "That's it?"

Apparently she thought there was more! Well, there very well might be. I'm just awaiting confirmation. She followed up with, "Well, thats pretty weird, but whatever. Just be respectful and know I will always love my baby." She left gender out of it which also surprised me... maybe im reading too much into it.

At around the same time, i asked my future wife out. I let her know the complications with gender dysphoria, and she said she was fine with it and had dated plenty of people of all spectrums of the lgbt community. She even introduced me to a crossdresser friend... whom i discovered a phobia of other crossdressers through... but yeah. I'm dealing lol.

Later on in our relationship, my wife became pretty unaccepting of the fact that she might be in a non binary relationship. About 3 months of talking to our roommates who are male, and ftm helped. I think she saw them as a binary couple, and thats why she didn't have a problem. But she finally came to terms with the ftm (sorry, no names) being a dude and the light bulb finally clicked. So now she's supporting me and things are going a lot better.

Baby steps :)

• Forum Moderator

I hope it all works out for you dear. Baby steps are the best type to take. Big leaps happen as well but mostly it's a slow progress. maybe that is best as we need to adjust almost as much as our loved ones.

Hugs,

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WFane

Well, i got a doctor appointment last friday for October 7th. They'llbe doing lab work. Its weird, because i said i wanted a gender therapist, and everyone I talked to wants me to go to medical first.

So with that news, I called my mother. I told her everything. She denied it at first, and asked if i was gay, liked men, etc. I said "No, i'm not into men, but if that were the case, I'd hope it wouldnt change anything."

She asked how long I've known this, and I told her about puberty and my feelings about myself all my life etc. She said she never noticed. She said she didn't know why I wanted to do this. I said its not something that i WANT to do. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be the prettiest chick on earth, being 6'3" and 160lbs of pure Muay Thai build (really thick and sharp knees, elbows and knuckles), along with a forhead the size of China. Its the last thing I wanna do. But after spending my at home hours as a woman on and off for the past 3 months, I truely feel that my life is better off female! I feel more comfortable, i don't feel the eyes that stare at me regardless of how I present myself. I feel less self consious, and am an overall happier person. I need this.

So she looked for an excuse to get off the phone with me and that was it.

I told my boss as well. She's cool with it, and assured me as long as I continued to do great work that I will always have a home with them.

Phiew...

• 3 months later...

Hi!
So I had a few doctors appointments, and I felt pretty... what's the word... like they were stringing me along. I also moved because my house on Staten Island got dramatic as all heck with roommates and all that stuff. They wanted collateral for unpayed rent, but there wasn't any hot water for several months which was why I wasn't paying rent, and they were informed of all that, and yada yada. Long story short, I got my... bum out of there, and managed to grab my most prized instruments. Wouldn't you know it, they immediately accused me of not having any intention of paying rent and sold my stuff the next day.

Anywho, I get here to my new place with my wife and son, and I get a message that says my appointment is in a few days. So I call up the place and ask "Are you guys gonna string me along and make another followup, or are you going to perscribe me what i need to continue my life happily?" They said they weren't sure, and that they'd need to speak to me in order to find out. So I'm off of informed concent, and now starting WPATH up here in my new home. It sucks because I felt like I was SO CLOSE, but yeah. Maybe some therapy will help... although I feel like I've sorted out a lot.

Meanwhile, last week, my wife and I had a pretty deep conversation. Without the stress of our NYC house, it was a lot easier to talk, and the two of us have been getting along famously! Turns out her problem was that I wasn't one or the other. She wanted me to pick one, and just go with it. So I said "Well, why don't I just do what's inevitably gonna happen so we can both be happy then?" And here I am. We worked on a name together, and I fell in love with Alyssa :lol:

So, at home, I'm finally me! At my new job situation, well that's another deal. I gotta get the job male, because of the whole hiring a transsexual thing, but I will come out, and it'll be good! Hopefully...

Anywho, I am living female at home, being addressed with female pronouns, my son is calling me Na-na, My wife has taken to calling me Aly, and all my friends on FB are being supportive!

Hi Alyssa,

SoC 7 doesn't require a letter of recommendation, only informed consent, although the endo might require the letter anyway. If you feel you are being strung along then it might be time to find a new GT.

Good Luck and I hope you will be able to jump this hurdle soon.

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

It sounds like you are doing great dear. More important than HRT is the ability to live as yourself comfortably in your own skin especially with loved ones. HRT is not a miracle which is not to say it doesn't help. As Jennifer says informed consent is enough but still as you noted therapy really helps. If nothing else a good GT can set you up in a way they the providers you see won't be as likely to jerk you around. That helps!

Hugs,

Charlie