• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Oh What a Night!

Guest DianeATL

Guest DianeATL

No not late September back in 63 for Frankie Valie fans. ;-)

It's nearly 1 am on a Monday night and I just have to post. I don't care if anyone reads it, I have to shout it out.

My evening started with my first meeting with a trans support group. What an uplifting experience to be with small group of ladies who not only see the world as it is but as it can be. I am inspired by them. The leader and I had some time for private conversation afterwards and we really connected. I feel like I have a friend who welcomes my rants and tears and understands. I left with her phone number and the promise that she would be there for me anytime.

I could have gone home from there but that would have meant changing back to boy mode to avoid running into anyone I know in my building. I opted to stay out until they were in bed so I went to a gay bar to have dinner and a drink. It was quiet early on a Monday before the Karaoke started at 11, so I had the bartender all to myself. We had the most amazing connection what a genuine sweetheart he is. Our non business conversation started with me sheepishly asking where the bathroom was. He told me where the ladies room was and I followed up with "is that appropriate for me". He called me some affectionate name like darling and assured me that it was perfectly fine for me to use the ladies room. (a first for me).

Later when I got back I thanked him for his kindness to me. He appreciated it in a way but was put off with society that I would even have to thank someone for respecting me. That started a whole long, deep conversation about him growing gay in a small town in the south and my whole life history as a repressing TG, It happened that the Karaoke was being MC'd by a TG who is also an activist for TG's. He said you have to meet her. Before she went on, he made a point of connecting us. She was so supportive and encouraging I just loved her. (and she was one hot lady) She encouraged me to come back and get to know her and she would help me.

The bartender gave me his phone number and told me I could call him anytime, even if I just wanted to cry or vent. He also said if anyone ever mistreated me in the bar to let him know ans he would take care of them for me,

I don't know if I can go to sleep tonight.

• Admin

It does seem like on certain nights we really get on a roll with all of this, and our fears seem to crumble so fast we almost lose our balance. The tears and excitement that come from being with our own kind, and I for one do take the G & L into that framework, are so refreshing after our walks in the dark shadows for so long. Not every one hates us, not everyone will walk to the other side of the street to avoid us.

(Ok Vicky get the image out of your mind where the goofer starts crossing the street to avoid you and gets hit by a Greyhound <bus>.)

There are places and ways for us to get community support and acceptance, and we may never suspect the places are there. :welldone:

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Diane,

Sounds like you had a Wonderful evening Both at your Support Group and at the Bar.

I am very happy that your Support Group worked out well for you.

I am sure that you will meet many more wonderful women their.

I always enjoy hearing Good stories so please keep us informed.

Hugs,

Carla

Hi Diane.

Thank you for the Frankie Valie reminder.giggle

Congratulations on a successful first support group meeting. :welldone:

That sounded really exciting.

Personal body guard at the bar, by the sounds of it and a tutor.

You go Girl! :friends:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Thank you for sharing with about your wonderful night. Supports group can be wonderful places to meet other folks who are like us and have similar if not the exact same experiences. Like it was mentioned not everybody hates us.

:thumbsup:

• Forum Moderator

I first went out to a gay bar. I heard they had a 'ladies night' and that was my first time out in heels. I look back on that with affection but also remembering how far down i went with drinking. At the time it made being me possible but eventually it made my whole life impossible. I am blessed to have both my life and sobriety given to me now. I love being there for others making those first steps , immortalized in song. Enjoy dear its a great world!

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest DianeATL

Thanks everyone for your support. Charlie, thankfully I don't have an issue and am able to keep alcohol consumption very low.

I have been able to stay in touch via IM with my bartender friend, he even checked up on me last night which was sweet.

I assume that people don't like me (boy) and would not like Diane even more. My experience so far is that Diane is liked and welcomed much more than the boy facade. Maybe because she is happier and more pleasant to be around. ;-)