• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Full Time 2.0

Guest CassieX

Guest CassieX

I finally got the courage to start the ball rolling on coming out at work. Went to my HR Manager and told him I needed to talk to him in private and proceeded to inform him that I was transgendered, going through transition process and was officially coming out at work and needed him to inform the higher ups and set up a meeting. I handed him a copy of the OPM guidelines and the Transgender Rights in the Workplace pamphlet and he was totally supportive and said he would contact my supervisor as soon as everything was ready. I told my supervisor too before the end of the day as I had made him nervous by asking all sorts of difficult questions about equal opportunity, grievance procedures, contact numbers and the like. He too expressed support and told me it didn't matter one way or another to him as I was a good worker and wouldn't say a word until he received guidance from the higher ups.

So, all being said, pretty anti-climatic so far as me coming out at work does not really change anything about what work I do, what I wear to work or how I look. I have been incrementally changing those things over the past year prior to this day so my adjustments are pretty much psychological and of course social, once everyone knows. Thank goodness is all I can say as the duality of living life as two separate people in public has been pretty stressful.

Cassie

Guest Gerilynn

Congratulations Cassie,

That is such an achievement. Sounds like work will be business as usual only with Cassie now. Hope the rest of it goes well. Fingers are crossed for you.

Hugs

Jeralyn Dee

• Admin

It sounds like you handled things just fine, Cassie. Congrats not only to you, but to your folks at work. I think they will offer excellent support, based on their reactions and statements so far. I wish you continued good luck, and please let us know if you need any advice or resources.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

You must be floating dear. That is such a great step in being able to be yourself and not have to hide for periods of time. That back and forth was the worst for me. When i forced myself to be totally male i could make it for awhile, i felt i had to. Being back and forth just amplified the pain. Now as a full time person that is i'm glad to say a memory. I was looking forward to that time and it is here now. Transition still effects me but it doesn't fill my mind. I am able to go about my daily chores as myself and come back as me.

You will be there soon.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

First congrats Cassie on taking this huge step ! Coming out at one's job and transitioning where they only knew "him" is a big deal. It's very gratifying to finally be yourself and have others at work acknowledge it. I did this about 3 months ago with my job and it's going very well so far, I think you are taking the right steps with your HR manager. Best of luck as things unfold there.

Hugs

Cyndi -

Guest CassieX

Thank you for the words of support!

Things move slowly but surely here and my supervisor got a call from our HR Manager today to give him the heads up (which I preempted yesterday :)). The Manager was talking about setting up a meeting sometime next week so I'm being patient :rolleyes:

Cassie

Fun update for me: got my new drivers license in the mail yesterday which was amazing as I got to shred the old one :D . Today I had a meeting at work with my Superintendent to discuss my workplace transition issues. It went very well, with EEO training scheduled with management and workforce week of 23rd this month and my record updates, new IDs etc to be done on or before that date. They are converting a bathroom too for Unisex use in my building but we decided that although that was a good idea I would just start using the proper restroom after I get my new IDs and they hold the training. So Win-Win either way!

Straight after work I got a voice-mail telling me that my Transgender Voice and Communication course was commencing the 23rd so I'll start my 3rd Semester then too. :D :D :D

This Friday I'm off to see my Doc and hopefully get my letters to go change my SS Card, apply for a new passport and update my birth certificate.

Then I went home and got yelled at for making too much noise, but I guess I can't have everything perfect. :P

Cassie

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Cassie

I am so Happy for you that things are going so well for you both in general and also at work.

I hope changing your Birth Certificate is easier in Virginia than in NY.

I was able to change my name easy, but they would not change my Gender without Surgery.

Hugs,

Carla

Congratulations, Cassie!

I'm happy that it's been such smooth sailing so far - may it continue!

I had some numbering system for my transition too, but can't remember what they were. I passed the last number which was to forget everything, apparently. That might have come with my Medicare card though...

Enjoy!

Love, Megan

Carla, I'm not entirely sure what Virginia's rules are regarding birth certificates as I have a FS-240 and that is handled exactly the same as getting a passport requirements wise.

Megan, the 2.0 is my little way on recognizing that I have upgraded my life to a fresh start. It's almost like as I approach each milestone, like coming out to my family, starting Therapy, Hormones, etc. I press a reset button and get excited all over again. :)

Cassie

Got my Doctors letter this afternoon for Passport, Social Security Card and Birth Certificate gender marker change and then went to the Social Security Office and changed my name and gender marker. It Only took two smelly hours of patiently waiting and not making eye contact with my fellow travelers before my number was called. It was actually quite easy, though I had brought pretty much every document they asked for just in case. :rolleyes:

10 minutes of standing in front of the clerk, smiling patiently while he went back and forth between his supervisor and computer netted me my receipt and my new card arriving in 10 days or so. Nice of them to give me back my doctors letter, but I had 3 just in case. :wub:

Now I just have to wait until Monday to continue the saga of changing my records at work.

Cassie

Well, Submitted my paperwork through admin Monday and they fast tracked it so it was available this morning for pickup. Spent Most of the day updating my Work ID and badge as well as my retiree ID to reflect my new name, so as Lizzie said in her post, "I am now officially federally female!". Getting my paperwork done so fast was a bit of a bonus as I am completely out to the workforce ahead of next weeks training but so far everyone I have talked to has been nothing but friendly and supportive.

For my next project I get to turn my sights towards the Federal Employee Health Benefits Insurance Providers and see which one I can 'negotiate' into providing me with the appropriate care. It's ironic that OPM says that they must provide me with the appropriate care but every single providers plans has a transgender care exclusion. This will be fun, I'm sure. :banghead:;)

Cassie

I'm a little late, but congratulations Cassie. It's so liberating letting the real person out and letting them know that no more hiding them. Savor those first days. Take a picture or two. File away the memories of the people who embrace your changes. They are you true friends. And just savor the happiness that you feel being free to be you.

Congratulations to you Cassie. Kathryn

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, so much paperwork, lol! I expended most of of my good karma trying to get my computer records squared away at work last week. So many website logons and details to change, ugh! As of last Tuesday I am completely full time at work restrooms and all. We had a three training sessions of Federal cultural competency training regarding transgender employees which I requested through my big boss, a first around here. I'm working on trying to get the powers that be to expand the training to the rest of the workforce and hopefully to other agencies in the area.

The reaction from my co-workers so far as been positive and I have had a lot of people wish me well and congratulate me. I heard from other co-workers that even people who are totally opposed or refuse to understand still have been heard to comment that they have respect for the courage it took for me to come out as a transgender woman in my work environment. So I take that as a win, as the ability to be myself and come to work everyday free from harassment is all I need.

Got outed at the bank earlier in the week while changing over all my stuff. Was kind of funny as the representative got so flustered he kept giving me things and I ended getting all sorts of pens and key chain penlights, Left with my handbag bulging. :D

Its really interesting how the various companies deal with name changes. Some change things immediately when notified while others require you to fax or mail in written requests. In the case of some store cards I think it really dumb how you can walk into a store and get a new card and charge lots of money but when you want to correct something on an existing card they require you to write a letter instead of simply verifying your details from your social and ID at customer service.

I mailed off my request to amend my birth certificate yesterday. That was pretty nerve wracking as I hate mailing anything original but it had to be done and when I get it back then I can change the last few places where I am not listed as female. It's funny, the U.S. State Department published new guidelines in June 2013 for amending a Birth certificate through them and also for applying for a passport, but they have since refined the process again so if anyone is going to go that route make sure you call the number listed on the instruction before applying.

Oh yeah, and the U.S. Navy changed their requirements too since Autumn Sandeen's case last May making it easier to change your gender marker with them as well as Name.

Still researching the federal healthcare issue. The new plans come out in a couple of days though I suspect they will be as transgender unfriendly as this years were. I'm writing down every bit of feedback I get though, because I'm not going to quit until I get the care I should be entitled too. :banghead:

Cassie

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CassieX

A little update.... Got my social security card in the mail today. :) It was an exciting experience getting to this point as I filed everything back on 13 September and the person who was processing my paperwork literally blew it off until the government shutdown happened then had a legitimate excuse not to work on it till the shutdown was over. I know all this because I was one persistent cookie and managed to make enough noise that a very nice person in my local social security office who was senior 'Encouraged' them to do their job and suddenly everything was resolved last Friday and I got my card as I said today. :lol:

Learned an interesting fact about Tricare health insurance and name changes. Not all Tricare websites are managed by the same organizations so making sure that they all reflect the correct information from DEERS is not a given.

Things have continued to go great at work. I have had zero problems from my coworkers and if anything they have become more pleasant to work with.

Speaking of federal healthcare, in the past 3 weeks I've gone from researching the issue to establishing dialogue with some of the key people involved in the issue both at OPM and my local Agency. I had pretty much my only unpleasant experience a couple of weeks ago when I called my Agencies Health Benefits line customer service. The lady I talked to seemed a bit unsettled when I identified myself to her as a transgender woman and requested information on why all my available health plans had transgender treatment exclusion policies in them. This confusion turned to hostility after she told me that she was unable to help me as they only processed claims (incorrect info) and that I had to contact OPM for this(incorrect info). I asked her for another point of contact or someone else to speak to but she said there was no one. When I pointed out that I had already gone through OPM and their website clearly stated that I had to go through her for help and that this was also clearly stated on my Agencies Website she got mad and pretty much called me a liar so I thanked her for her time and hung up.

So I told my federal transition story to my contact at OPM and she submitted it to her boss, hopefully for action. So now I am awaiting further feedback from both OPM and my Agencies Health Benefits director(who I recently talked to was receptive to trying to correct the problem). Fingers and toes are crossed at this point as any kind of positive resolution on this would have huge implications for more than just me. :banghead: I'll post something further on this once I get some more solid info.

Still waiting on my corrected birth certificate. I check the mail every day now. Its the last big piece of the puzzle I need to totally finish my paper trail. :( In this one thing I'm totally impatient, lol!

Cassie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CassieX

Thought I'd post an update of sorts since I am pending on so many major things it aint funny. I'm still waiting on my official answer from OPM on where my Federal Transgender Friendly health plan is for my region. I can't go into details for my Agency case but I am very hopeful since I just discovered today when going through their website (open to anyone who wants to go there from home), that a new Federal Health plan for FY14 that IS Transgender Friendly just popped up on their website in CA.

http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/

The Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of California for both Northern and Southern areas (a Kaiser Permanente affiliate) offers transgender surgical services with approval (i.e. genital surgery and mastectomy to treat gender dysphoria). It specifically says no to facial feminization surgery and other so termed cosmetic procedures. The kicker is that the insurance rates are very reasonable so its amazing news for all my fellow Transgender Federal Employees, particularly those in California. :score:

As far as I can tell it is the first, but now that a healthcare provider that services FEHB plans has complied with the OPM policy to support Transgender Inclusive Healthcare, I expect more will follow suit.

On other more immediate news for myself, I just found out that I will get my amended birth certificate either today or tomorrow from the State Department (phew! that was another adventure thanks to the partial government shutdown and their department restructure) so I am super excited! :)

Cassie

Guest DianeATL

You are such a busy and well organized lady, I can see why there are no problems at work, they want to keep a busy bee like you! Congratulations again, I know that each thing you check off just confirms you in your own mind a little bit more.

Way to go girl.

Diane

Guest CassieX

Finally, I got my Birth Certificate in the mail today! It's so beautiful. They overnight UPS'd it to me for free as a way of saying sorry it took so long and I got all my submitted original documents back.

It's strange, that after all the heartache and stress it took to get it I feel completely numb, but a good kind of numb, I guess.

Tomorrow I will send my Navy POC the rest of my documentation and finally get my gender marker changed with them, yay!

Passport is next, that one should be easy (famous last words). :lol:

Cassie

Guest CassieX

Faxed all my gender correction documentation to my Navy POC today and got confirmation that it was good to go and she was sending it on to the DEERS office to update my record. Hope to see it change on the website any time now. :)

I also requested information for the current official guidance on the DD214 amendment procedures and if there was any changes coming soon. Well, it doesn't hurt to ask.... ;) If I get anything of worth back, I'll be sure to post it.

Still waiting on word from OPM on the Federal Transgender friendly healthcare plans. I was told earlier in the week that a decision had been made and that I would hear this week but tomorrow is Friday so I won't hold my breath.

I've learned an important lesson on how inefficient the VA facilities can be in processing paperwork (like I didn't already know from my disability fiasco). I've been waiting about 6 weeks for my local facility to update my local records. So far they've managed to mislay 2 sets of paperwork, not follow the current Transgender care directive or the directive for updating records and violate my privacy rights on 3 separate occasions. It's ironic, as I'm not at all thin skinned or shy since I started my RLE (kind of the opposite of how I was before) so I've been pushing forward regardless and know from talking to the person in charge of the records section that the whole process to update my records should take about 30 minutes 'If' they could actually find them. :rolleyes: In any case, tomorrow afternoon is crunch time for them if they don't fix this as my Doctor is not at all happy as it is interfering with my healthcare and RLE.

Cassie

Guest CassieX

I'm Soooo Happy! The VA finally updated my name and gender in my health records and online. Talk about an 11th hour fix. The person in charge of the records really pulled out the stops to push through the update before COB and I got a call from my doctor at home this evening to tell me the system was updated. I just checked. :) :) :)

***Important note, to change your gender marker on your VA health records, you require your doctors DEA number on the standard letter that every other agency uses (Social Security Administration, State Department, etc) as well as all the other stuff. It's a new policy. :rolleyes:

In other news the Navy Personnel Command officially told me no to any new changes to the DD214 policy. I'll keep asking, as it worked for Bart and Lisa Simpson :harhar:

Cassie

Guest CassieX

DEERS got updated today so now my gender marker is finally pink for female everywhere just in time for Thanksgiving. :wub:

I also had some positive feedback on Monday from the person that fixed my VA health records. They offered to help me update the rest of my VA stuff which was it seemed going to be even more of a headache to update so I am crossing my fingers that they can do it for me and save me some stress. What a difference it was for me once I got to talk to the non customer service people at my local facility, things got done.

I can't believe it has been only 3 months since I legally changed my name, gender and most everything in between. Hopefully I can, slow down a bit now and just enjoy my day to day life of being me. :)

Cassie