• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

coming out to mom

Guest Jamie23

Guest Jamie23

hello all,

so over the weekend I told my mom about wanting to go MTF and she was not surprised at all, she said she always had an idea since I was younger. This is because i would play with only girls, play with barbies, hated guy things etc. However coming out, even though my mom took it very good I feel weird. Like just anxious lately and kind of scared. Furthermore, I am waiting on getting HRTs and am in the process of getting a recommendation letter from my therapist which is also just making me nervous. All this MTF stuff happened so suddenly and its kind of overwhelming me. is it normal to feel kind of sad even though i got a good response out of my mom?? shouldnt i be relieved?

-Jamie

Edited by Mia J
Moved to coming out forum for more traffic.
Guest Stray Cat Gypsy

I had an almost exact same with my mama coming out as to be GenderQueer. She was totally cool and had an idea as well. It's totally normal what you are going thru. Theres going to be stages.

Guest Kalie Aowynn

I agree with Nia. I came out to my mom back when I was 14 and she said she thought there was something different about me.That I never liked doing all the things that other boys did. Sadly nothing has ever been right between me and her. I can never tell my dad ever. He is a strong believer in the bible and I mean serious old testiment kinda way and I am a sinner going to hell he would say.So congrats on having a mom you can rely on.As far as nervous lol I think you are right on track. I am seeing my shrink tomorrow and she what the diagnosis is. So I understand the nerves . My stomach is all turned upside down. Again congrats girlfriend.

Kalie

Guest Astrosmurf

Hi Jamie,

yes, you're lucky your mother's so accepting but IMO you shouldn't feel guilty or freaked out for being anxious too. I think it's great you're so in tune with your feelings and honest about them, actually.

Acknowledging concerns will help you stay grounded and hopefully prevent you from rushing into anything you're not yet ready for, and probably everyone has those same concerns at the outset (I know I do) unless they're veiwing the transitioning process in a totally over-idealised way. Transitioning is a pretty massive thing to decide on but I think those doubts, anxieties etc. are part of it too.

Coming out is a big step - I think it's scary because once it's done it's done, you've taken a fairly big step on that road to transitioning and you probably know already deep down that the rest of the world isn't going to give you the same unconditional support your mother has expressed (although some or many people might be pretty awesome in that way - I just mean it's a bit anxiety-provoking because we don't/can't know).

Anyway, I'm glad your mother's there for you, and no one says you have to rush anything, and whatever you decide to do, I wish you lots of happiness :thumbsup: