• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A great week so far

Guest LizMarie

Guest LizMarie

I am spending a week with dear friends in Memphis, TN, and living full time as myself, with no one who will be upset if I do so. It's been a great week so far. I've not been misgendered even once. If anyone has had any thoughts, they've kept them to themselves, which is enough for me.

I've even reached the point where apparently in terms of my personal appearance that three different men at different times have asked my hostess if she is sure that I am ok going to and from my hotel alone in the evenings. As my hostess noted that is not a male thing but a definite female thing meaning that every one of the men involved are seeing me as I wish to be seen.

We've had two great days of massive thrift shop hopping. I've added a lot of new options to my wardrobe, we've seen the zoo, had dinner with different people, had a tarot card reading, and have manicures and possibly more shopping planned for tomorrow.

It's been a fun trip thus far, with none of the backlash associated with my adult children or my spouse. It's also helped firm my resolve to continue forward with my legal transition in the second half of this year as I've been planning to do for a while now.

• Forum Moderator

Certainly sounds like a wonderful wek. Keep enjoying it! It is so lovely to simply live as ourselves in the big world.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

This post brims with happiness and confidence.

Enjoy Liz and safe travels.

Hugs

Cyndi -

Guest LizMarie

I got back home late Sunday night. I didn't want to leave but finally tore myself away a bit after noon on Sunday. It's a ten hour drive plus stops got me home at right around midnight. I will make a note that my 16 year old Z-28 Camaro, EPA rated managed to get 24, 26, 25, and 27 mpg on the four tanks of gas to and from Memphis. Of course, that car loves to cruise at about 75-80 mph, so letting it flex its muscles was the perfect opportunity for it to stretch out and run, like a thoroughbred horse. Even with 160,000 miles, the engine runs well, just burning a small bit of oil these days.

We did a great deal of shopping, visiting, saw the zoo, and I was accepted into a Pagan women's circle in what turned out to be a very emotional ceremony. I was also told that various men asked about me, concerned about my safety going to and from my hotel alone in the evenings. A close friend got a particular shot of me that suggested I might be slightly more well endowed than I am and that generated a few amusing comments from men I know, which later led to a deliberate profile shot to let them know that no, I am not that big there, at least yet.

Monday I returned to work as the male me for our usual every-other-Monday planning session. Getting dressed as "him" was harder than I ever remember it being. I did have a brief meeting with HR but the benefits coordinator was out that day so we're still working on getting an answer as to whether our insurance policy covers trans related surgeries or not. At a minimum, HR and my manager both have my back, so the transition at work should go reasonably smoothly. Whether I stay there longer term or not remains to be seen but at the moment I have no reason to leave. Unlike someone younger, I am actually within seeing range of retirement. It's more than a decade off but I could also see myself being there that long, so I'm in no hurry to chase another job given that this one fits so well and has treated me positively thus far.

HR gave me permission to come out to my team on my own terms. I'm working with my manager on how and when to do that. HR will assist with notifying others with whom I interact. As for the remainder of the company, almost none of whom really know me, she simply noted that we'll change my name and photo in the company directory when the time comes and that will be that. She said that my plan to go full time once legal name and gender change are complete is excellent and that under those circumstances she can guarantee my access to the women's restrooms. She also said the legal transition will then give them the ability to update all my personal records, etc., with the company including paycheck, etc.

So the trip was productive and the first day back was productive. Now I just need to be patient, save my pennies for the legal stuff, and continue with facial hair removal for the rest of this year. Once the facial hair removal and legal stuff are done and I am full time, I can then begin planning for the steps after that.

• Forum Moderator

Liz Marie, I'm happy to see that things are going well for you; you deserve it. Take care and keep smiling. :thumbsup:

Guest ashleynikole

Awe, sorry I missed this post earlier. Would love to have met you in person. Glad you had a good time in our lovely state.

I made that same drive about 15 days ago for my brother's wedding (probably the last time my family will see me in boy mode in person) so I feel for you on the length of it. Sorry to hear about having to go back into being "him" but you are so close you can taste it. I'm so jealous of you. Good luck moving forward.

Guest Melissa~

Cute pic. I enjoy wearing dresses on occasion, but this has been the never ending winter in the upper Midwest. Between Stl, my farm in northern MO, and Jenni up in Minnesota, I'm a popsicle.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Caren_J

Liz, I had a similar experience during that same week. My job is relocating me to Washington D.C. and I went there to start looking for a place in the suburbs of D.C. I spent the whole week as me, and it was great. After I left my house I stopped at a nearby rest stop and got dressed as the real me. I drove the seven hours to D.C. and then spent the five days as me. Once I got down there I found a hotel and was able to check in with getting some compliments from the front desk clerk. I looked around the area for a couple days looking at apartment complexes and there were a few times that I was mis-gendered. I was able to get a manicure that night and was able to be the woman that I am in heart. Later in the week, I went to a local gym, and asked about a membership tour and was given a nice tour. When I was at the gym, I didnt think I passed well enough, but the trainer that was giving me the tour said to go through the womens locker room and meet him in the pool area. It was a great feeling be seen as the woman that I am. Come Friday, I packed up my stuff in my hotel room and drove the seven hours back to my house in New England. Once I got back in New England I went to my regular salon and received my facial to ensure that all of my makeup was removed and then I regretfully removed my coveted bra and panties, and put on my yucky guy clothes. I would agree with you that my trip was productive and that I really didnt want to put on the guy clothes and also reinforces the need to just live the way I want to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 125 Guests (See full list)

• MaybeRob
    • awkward-yet-sweet