• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Resume and job references

Ravin

For those who have gone over the name change hurdle, and found employment, how did you manage it?

I expect to change my name some time in the next few months, and starting my job hunt shortly thereafter. The problem is, all my "resume builders" for my legal resume, as well as previous employment, are things I did under my birth name.

How have you managed references and previous employers? Do you let prospective employers know if they check your work history, what name to check under?

I don't especially want to have to explain my trans status at every job interview, but I can't walk in with a blank resume, either. I have had one supervisor I am confident I could explain the name change to so that when he receives inquiries about me he'll know who he's talking about and will have favorable things to say. If I do it middle of this summer, I'll explain it to the judge I'm working for at the time, but for the rest? I just don't know.

• Admin

I haven't been in your situation, Ravin, but I imagine it would be somewhat complicated. My suggestion is that you a) let your prospective employers know that you've changed your name since your last job(s) and they should inquire using both names; and b ) you should let your past employers know that you've changed your name, and that someone may soon inquire about you using either name.

It's true that it could out you, but I can't see a way around that. Someone else might have other suggestions. I wish you luck, hon.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

If one has opportunity to transition on the job, I always suggest trying because even if it doesn't work, or you intend to change jobs, once your name change is legal that employer updates their records. Thus all work experience at that job is in the new name.

If unemployed, you can just list and hope they don't check. I know someone who was able to confide with manager at prior employer and furnished that person as their boss and contact information.

It is an understandable concern...certain job opportunities they always check. Particular larger organizations. Many small ones don't check.

• Forum Moderator

I'm afraid like many others it is a situation where you cannot go stealth. Old names have a way of following us which i have at times found quite embarrassing. Fortunately it gets better over time but employment is one of the awkward things. The other is medical care where due to physical realities and names getting changed in medicare etc i have had some odd situations. The good thing is that they gave me a single room.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Ravin,

I haven't a clue.

I cannot think of solutions other than those mentioned.

Is it possible to wait to change your name until you are hired?

That might solve this issue... but then --

What do you do about your educational transcript in the future? Maybe the educational institution updates names, with the proper credentials supplied? :dunno:

Warmly,

Brad

I want to graduate law school and be licensed under my new name. I have no desire or inclination to put it off two years or more, especially as I'll be starting T soon.

Well if you are in college still...and young, it wouldn't be particularly odd if you don't have a work history. But then again it limits opportunities.

I don't even list education cause if I do it only highlights lack thereof. Sometimes less is more.

Well if you are in college still...and young, it wouldn't be particularly odd if you don't have a work history. But then again it limits opportunities.

I don't even list education cause if I do it only highlights lack thereof. Sometimes less is more.

I'm in my late 30's. And most of the resume builders are internships and such done during school to build legal experience, but "stay at home mom" isn't gonna fly as an explanation if I don't list at least some work experience.

This whole process is just going to suck, I think.

Internships are less likely to be checked I would imagine.

I also can see some opportunities in legal area may have more rigorous background checks.

Ultimately if you get a licensed, bar exam, whatever, that is one hard to argue with credential.

The most important thing in interviews if you can talk the talk and walk the walk, they may not check things. Especially at a smaller firm. Heck, make yourself likeable and pleasant, and if you come off positive you are half way there.

To my knowledge, in my entire working career nobody has ever checked one of my references. The only check has been credit application and that was a long time ago.

Opportunities may be lost but it is possible, don't let the potential paint everything. If there was just one must have that you always dreamed of opportunity with no other alternatives, it is unfortunate.

Guest Gregg Jameson

I want to graduate law school and be licensed under my new name. I have no desire or inclination to put it off two years or more, especially as I'll be starting T soon.

Makes sense! :D

I'm in my late 30's. And most of the resume builders are internships and such done during school to build legal experience, but "stay at home mom" isn't gonna fly as an explanation if I don't list at least some work experience.

This whole process is just going to suck, I think.

Uggh! :blink: Well, I hope not, but... kinda feels like it doesn't it?

I guess... :dunno:

(Believe me, I have days when I put the brakes on. I look at the challenges ahead and I start wondering if there's a way I can live w/o changing more than I have changed? I keep coming to the conclusion that I have to go further. For my own welfare.)

Wish I had some easy and sound answers to share with you, Ravin.

Fondly,

Brad

Guest NatashaJade

I'm in a career with references that get checked. That being said, all of those who I use as references know me as Natasha. So when I interview, I do not bring up my trans history (nor can most employers ask). That being said, I am not stealth either. A simple googling of my name will bring up any number of things should anyone want to know. Heck, I have a video posted on We Happy Trans. I'm not ashamed of being me.

Be the best candidate for the job.

And I know this is all easy to say and harder to do...but even though there may be disappointments, you have to persevere and overcome. It's a central theme of trans life.

Tasha

Guest Jenny_W

I have done this.

I lost my job in the middle of 2013 and work was the last place I was presenting male. I decided to go full-time the day after I lost my position because I knew that I would never want a new job as the old me. I just bit the bullet and went for it. I changed my name straight away but it took me 6 months to get a job. As I had gone full-time, I interviewed as myself, Jenny, and there were some very interesting times when employers did reference checks. I think the first few opportunities were missed because I was still getting comfortable presenting female in a work environment. It was a quick learning curve for me!

For the first few months, I would inform the people interviewing me that I am transgender (most had already picked it anyway). This made reference checking far easier as I had told them my previous name. It was all very straight-forward. The complication came after about 4 months of job hunting (8 months HRT) and it was not obvious anymore that I was born male. This is what I looked like at around 8 months HRT:

By this stage, people got really confused when I mentioned that I was transgender. I guess they didn't expect it and it became a negative thing - so I stopped telling them. I wouldn't lie, I just didn't raise the subject unless they asked. In most interviews, it never came up. I did get some confusion when they checked my references, but I explained this quite easily by saying, "Oh yes, I'm transgender and I didn't think it was a relevant thing to mention during the interview. My old name is xxxxx and you can check this with my previous employers."
I eventually got a job with a great employer. Even after 4 rounds of interviews with my current company, they still hadn't worked out that I'm transgender. When I got my job, I looked like this:
I hope this helps. I found honesty worked for me - stealth was not an option I wanted (and I still don't believe I could pull it off).
Good luck!!
Jenny