• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Well that's just ducky...

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I decided to stop in Joplin, Missouri, today to do laundry at a nice truck stop and to take a break before I continue on to Kansas City in the morning. I grabbed allllll the laundry I needed to wash and headed inside, stopping by a register to buy a roll of quarters from the nice lady working there. I walk into the laundry room and this old guy looks up at me and says "Had I known you were coming in here I'd have had you do my laundry, too." Since I had my sunglasses on, he couldn't see me rolling my eyes at his comment.

Yay sexism! Ugh... :thumbdown:

• Admin

We do try to be accepted as women, but thats not quite what fills the bill!!

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

We do try to be accepted as women, but thats not quite what fills the bill!!

Oh, not only did he accept me as a woman but he also assigned me a stereotypical gender role as well.

...progress? lol

"Why yes Sweetie, I'd love to do that for you! Is that all your favorite colorful plaid cotton shirts and blue jeans? Wonderful! Hand me that gallon of bleach over there. Don't worry its unscented too..." Giggle.

I would ride a mile behind him for hours just to hear him cuss about me on the CB radio. LOL! Just kidding, Hug. JodyAnn

• Forum Moderator

Some guys must still think it's some kind of conversation starter to use sexism, I bet he thought he was funny, what a relic, like smelly wind....

• Forum Moderator

The opposite and much more pleasant reaction is having young men rush to help you load the truck.

Ah the "joy" of womanhood. Both sweet and sour.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Brenda Hailey

I actually wouldnt mind doing laundry for a man,but a pig is out of the question.

Makes me wonder what other things a guy like that thinks you are obligated to do for him *shudders*

I like the idea Jody has,,,,,,,you know how absent minded us girls can be,,,,ooooppppssss :D

Older males( 50+) were born and raised in an era where said comments were not considered gender stereotyping. So to him the comment likely was hilarious and the word sexist has little bearing to him.

At the place in which I work there are several different positions. machine operator to engineering . Most all postions beyond machine operator are hired internally . One day I asked one of the mechanics about becoming a mechanic. I trouble shoot alot of my own issues with my machine successfuly. I have an aptitude for figuring things out and a good work ethic . Most of the mechanics like me because they do not have to come to my machine for mundane things. So I asked one of the mechanics, an older guy "how does one become a mechanic?" he said " Well for you.... showing more skin wouldn't hurt your chances " ...... yeah. Oh he thought the comment was hilarious aaaaaaannnd pretty much shrugged my question off. " yaaay sexism "

Hopefully one day those archaic Ideas toward women will die off and one day we really can be anything we want to be but until that day it will be " nice story babe, now go make me a sammich " :blowup:

• Forum Moderator

Funny really but this sexism works both ways.

It reminds me of an incident a few months back at work (where I am fully male). I was constructing a soft strap to hold some equipment to a bed side out of webbing and was stitching it up. A woman walked into the workroom and on seeing me said 'That's what I like to see - a man sewing'. I found this amusing as it is quite possible that I sew more than she does but these stereotypes linger on and, in my view as I am generally amused, enrich life!

Tracy

" nice story babe, now go make me a sammich "

So? You want mustard on that? Giggle. :Crylol: Sakura, you do keep me rolling!

My Mom and Dad are going strong, in their nineties and married for seventy-three years. Growing up, my Dad used to say "I don't do squaw work!" Mom never said a word, but I always thought that was so hurtful. Retirement came and Dad's excuse became, "Not me, I'm retired." At some point that all came to a head.

I was not a fly on that wall, but I suspect my Mother told him; that if he wanted to be fed, he could help with the dishes. If he wanted clean clothes he could vacuum the floor so she would have time. I surmise all this because for a period the tensions were thick between them. He did re-train. Giggle.

I knew it had taken hold when he gave me the fatherly lecture about the merits of helping your wife. Nodding in agreement, I had to keep from rolling my eyes, as I knew that all along. Today they are the cutest little old couple, doing all the chores together and seemingly happy about it.

Today I hear young men say; "My wife? Oh it's my way or the highway!" I already know that Her filling out of divorce papers clock is already ticking... Giggle.

Hug. JodyAnn

• 2 weeks later...

Jody:

I love your gallon of bleach. My you are downright evil in your thinking sometimes and I love it. In my past marriage of 32 years, my ex was so dangerous doing laundry that by age 8, my kids would not let their mom near their clothes Grrr nor would I. I have a newspaper clipping that a reporter ran of two income marriages showing me folding the laundry. He was shocked that I did womans work.

We had a reverse role marriage. I loved cooking cleaning shopping and taking care of my family. My ex thought she was teasing when she once told me I make a perfect wife. I thanked her for the compliment. I was proud of being a wife and it suited me just fine in that role. Kathy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 182 Guests (See full list)

• Adrianna Danielle
    • Evelyn J
    • EasyE
    • missyjo