• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Before or After?

Guest Rachel2071

Guest Rachel2071

I have devised a plan to get me to living full time in 4 months. I know what I need to get done for what I call my prep phase. In a way I am lucky. I have been a truck driver on and off for about 14 years, so finding employment has never been a problem. If I need a new job, I just call a trucking company and tell them that I would like to work for them and then they hire me. I know in this economy that is a rare thing. What I an unsure of is do I get my name change before or after I start at a new company? I cannot transition at my current job, nor would I want to. I have a long driving history but if I apply for a job with a new name I will have to explain why the rest of my driving history is under a different name.

I am thinking it would be easier if I were to get the job before I change my name and then while I am on hometime a month later start the name change process. Any thoughts? Also, does anyone know which trucking comapanies are trans friendly?

• Forum Moderator

You are not our only trucker girl. Hopefully Liz will see your post and might PM you with some good names but she may be stealth now as well. I would be honest about who you are as you apply for a new job. It has been amazing to me how well accepted i am especially if someone stands to gain something by being nice to me. That is true from diners to cosmetic counters and employers only hire us so they can earn more.

That being said you know your industry. I think your present plan is a good one. If there are many jobs available (i see the adds for workers on the back of many trucks) i would think that you would be safe.

Let us know how it goes and fire us a post from different parts of the country as the woman you want to be. I know i get a kick out of folks reactions when i climb out of my little dump truck.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to Laura's Playground!

Either way you go, your new employer will have to know that you've transitioned, since your recent work history will be in your old name. So, if you plan on presenting as Rachel when you first start working, it would seem better to do all of the name changes prior to starting. This would minimize the number of people in the know at your new location.

I worked for 20 years before transitioning on the job. It was hard to put the old name and persona to rest there. Last summer, I started a new job, and it's been heavenly to leave him behind. Yes, people know that I am trans, but they have no history with him, makes me so much more one of the girls at my new job.

Best of luck to you!

Love, Megan

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

It doesn't matter when you change your name. Any company you apply to is going to run your DAC and all your previous work employment is going to come up under your old name, so they'll probably ask about that. In my case, the recruiter I talked to just needed a copy of the name change order that was signed by the judge so she had proof that, yes, this person used to be this name and now they're this name.

In my case, I changed my name while employed at a previous truck company. When they received the name change, that's when things began going down hill and I was eventually let go. (they were since bought by another company). The company I'm with currently has been trans-friendly from the start, which is great! There are trucking companies that are trans-friendly. Mostly the bigger companies, really.

I don't know how GA is with name changes. I did mine in FL and it took a little time. Basically I had all the paperwork ready to go. Went home, filed it, and then when I was back on the road was when the judge's final order came in the mail (much to my parent's surprise because they had no idea I was doing this). So of course I had to go back home and run around and get my name changed on everything.

If you hire on with a trans-friendly company, it might be a little easier to change your name after you've been hired. I just didn't realize the company I had been with wasn't trans-friendly when I did mine. But I'm with a more accepting company now, so I'm happy.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Squallsong

I would suggest doing the name change first...at the very least, it will connect your employment history to your new name.

If you are moving to a trans friendly employer, it won't matter either way. If you aren't sure, or if they don't have a policy in place, you can avoid the issue by registering out of Florida, which has a much more lenient licensing system...and can be registered to a POBox if necessary (and use a mail forwarding service if you need it). Lots of Canadian inter-state independents register this way (and likely a lot of Americans as well), as it simplifies their licensing, and helps keep their taxation in order. The best part is, the Florida licensing won't carry the stigma of a gender change, and you may be able to retain your Georgia abstract. You may still have a problem with your driver's abstract, and record of employment with some employers though, especially if they need an extended record or references, which I assume most will.

It's unlikely that you will be able to conceal your gender history from a new employer (please excuse my assumption regarding a name-gender identity "mismatch"...I am guessing, but only because you haven't explicitly stated), but you will be able to avert any confusing history with your old name at the new employer...effectively starting with a clean slate under your new name. Just be sure to have your documents in order for your employer, and always keep copies of them available when driving! You never know when you might have to explain to an overzealous state trooper, and that can put you behind schedule...

Be well and take care!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 168 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve