• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pants aren't all bad

Guest (S)hE-W0lf

Guest Squallsong

I've a few pairs of slacks, which fit me well, but I find they quickly become "dated" and get lost in the deep end of the closet. Just like a lot of my skirts and dresses.

I keep hearing Conway Twitty...lol!

I just love jeans! I find sizing is often difficult...I fit anywhere from 0 to 6, depending on the cut and rise, while I have been 26 in mens since 1980 (try finding those on a retail shelf...ladies' are definitely cheaper for me!). Most comfortably sized jeans have a lot of room at the hip for me...but I'm built like a stick person, even by guy standards. I've got black, white, pink, red and green jeans, but they are never easy to coordinate for someone who's fashion-challenged like me!

-I have a few low "hip-huggers", but they don't seem to look ladylike and there's no room for decent panties, or hidden bits that the required "tiny undies" can't conceal...and you may have to shave the navel...

-High waists work well to give me a feminine shape (and of course, they cover full support knickers, hiding the extra bits perfectly).

-For skinny jeans, I must have a fair amount of stretch or my feet and knees don't fit in them...and then my knees look knobby and my calves bulge. One pair I have zips at the ankles.

-Flare legs look great with heels, especially strappy or open toe styles, and it's the only time I wear colorful shoes (even my Christina Applegate "breast cancer pink" asics look good with flares).

-And of course I have about a dozen denim skirts, ranging from ankle length to micro-mini, and even a "skort" with overall top that looks nice with a tight T-shirt.

Yes, I'm a "clothes horse". I admit, I often look retro...but that's what I feel best in...and isn't that one of the big reasons we are compelled to dress?

Jeans never really go out of style, and there's lots of options to suit just about anyone!

Take care and be well!

Guest (S)hE-W0lf

Wow, this thread has grown quite a bit. Jeggings have grabbed my attention but I see a lot of good advice and tips on here now. When people start sharing information like this one can really see the use of these forums.

I am going to have to ask you all to stop, my poor budget can't handle all these new ideas, it's teasing and makes me want to shop till I can't afford anything else ever again. Ha ha ha

I want some denim shorts, or even any other ladies short shorts, those look lovely, but I am afraid of looking trashy or silly. Not to mention I don't know how accommodating those are for extra bits. Anyone here have experience with those?

• Forum Moderator

I had some short (just below the knee) skinny jeans which I cut off and hemmed so to make really short shorts. They were a size smaller than ideal so were very tight on the leg but Ok otherwise. Cut off they fit well!

I have not worn them beyond the house and garden but are really good in warm weather. I have to wear female panties and tuck a little but as they have stretch fabric they fit Ok and things are comfortable. I don't have any other opinions as to how they look (except for my partner who is not too keen on my feminine looks anyway) but seem Ok to me when in male mode with a loosly buttoned short sleeved shirt and female in a tee.

Tracy

Guest Squallsong

I noticed lots of size issues, and fears about trying them on. Here's what I did to get my sizes straightened out.

Use a pair of tight fitting jeans (there's Conway Twitty again...), laid out flat. Measure across the hips (directly over the crotch) and cut a piece of string to that length. Measure the waist width, and put a mark on the string at that length with a permanent marker. Inseam is measured in simple length for both men's and women's, but women's pants are typically shorter so most of us will have to find pants for taller women (possibly junior or misses sizes, definitely not petite).

Now you have an easily concealed "model" to take shopping...hold the string across the waistband of pants you like...any that will fit you will be wider than the mark, and narrower than the string. Be sure they are long enough as well (easily confirmed by holding them up and comparing to anything that's the same hieght as your waist...adding heel hieght of course).

Ladies pants taper from waist to hip like this / \ so the waist dimension gets larger as you lower the belt line...keep this in mind, as you may be able to wear smaller sizes as the waistline moves South like with low-rise (hip hugger) styles.

@(S)heW0lf, have you tried a second-hand/thrift store, and just cut a pair of jeans? Start by cutting off at mid-thigh, and work North in small increments as you find a length that works for you!

Take care and be well!

Thanks, Squallsong. I found your latest message extremely helpful. I'll have to try it out.

I could have used your help earlier this evening. I bought a pair of leggings. Even if I would have known your method, it wouldn't have helped much. The way the leggings were folder and package precluded any measuring, at least without gaining assistance from the clerk. Fortunately, it did have some sizing info on the back that gave me guidance. I went with large (US 12-14). I couldn't wait to try them on. The length is perfect. The waist is another story. They are a bit too roomy for my tastes. However, I'm pretty sure the medium would have been too short. It is a puzzle. What's a girl to do?

Guest KatyDesire

I have started looking mainly at pants that are wide by design. One of my favorites is a pair of palazzo pants. Because they are made to be loose, they make it look as though I actually have hips.

I love the feeling of tight pants, but they look rubbish on me.

Guest ashleynikole

I want some denim shorts, or even any other ladies short shorts, those look lovely, but I am afraid of looking trashy or silly. Not to mention I don't know how accommodating those are for extra bits. Anyone here have experience with those?

Lyn, I actually have a few pairs of women's shorts (I need more) but I have found that the more snug the crotch and butt area is, the better it holds your tuck in and actually looks more natural. I use a nice solid pair of hipster panties or boy shorts with some spanx shorts over that for the extra hold and with the shorts (not Daisy Dukes mind you) being cut right, it actually holds quite well. I have also found that most people don't look at your crotch anyway so you'll most likely be fine.

God bless

Ashley

"denim" leggings Megan?

It is possible to get them but I often wear the cross between Jeans and Leggings - Jeggings. I almost swear by them these days because when out as a man they are not too girlie as leggings would be and they are obviously made for women so easily fit with a tunic or skirt over the top when wanting to be more feminine. The lack of pockets and other adornments mean things can be worn over the top without a great amount potruding through. The stretch waist means no belt and lack of fly also means less to think of. Also available in many colours.

Tracy x

Jeggings? Hey, I like that! Learn something new every day.

:thumbsup:

Guest robin777

I love wearing womens jeans. I have several pairs of Gloria Vaderbilt jeans. i like the way they sit on the hips a little higher than lower cut jeans. i wear them in male and female mode. I also have a pair of skinny leg jeans i just love the way they fit. I only wear them when dressed. The gloria vanderbilt jeans are very reasonably priced at Costco. I found my size by trying them on at Kohls. I did get the courage with the help of my wife.

Robin